Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problems correcting Census Online

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Firstly, there isn't a choice in this country - it's business first and society second.
    And secondly, this isn't about digitising everything - it's about making corrections to the 1901 and 1911 Census returns which have been online now for quite some time.
    That it still hasn't happened just isn't good enough.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ozymandiaz

Hermy wrote: »
    Firstly, there isn't a choice in this country - it's business first and society second.
    And secondly, this isn't about digitising everything - it's about making corrections to the 1901 and 1911 Census returns which have been online now for quite some time.
    That it still hasn't happened just isn't good enough.
    The point is that the mistakes and errors are in the transcriptions of the 1901 and 1911 Censuses online, not the originals (although peoples' writing can be difficult to read and the information they supply can be plain wrong). The same is true of other online databases of transcribed material where you have to pay for the information. It costs money to rectify mistakes, that's all I'm saying. Sometimes there are higher priorities calling on that money and we ought not let our frustrations make us lose sight of that fact..

It wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get a system in place to correct the transcription errors.
    And as I've said before I'm sure there are many like me who would be delighted to give their time for free to correct the errors.
    Sadly the will isn't there to do this.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get a system in place to correct the transcription errors.
    And as I've said before I'm sure there are many like me who would be delighted to give their time for free to correct the errors.
    Sadly the will isn't there to do this.

Yep, me and all! Still waiting for the call. Free labour - you can't get any better offer than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's all about a 'can-do' attitude and the Government, and State bodies have the opposite to that - can't, shan't and won't! :mad:

• Advertisement

And today, the expected hand washing email - no money, no staff blah, blah...and it's just one of the many reasons I will be encouraging my kids to leave this moribund rock as soon as they are old enough. Nothing ever changes in this country whether there's money or not. :mad:

cen1.JPG

This is demanding work that requires attributes and knowledge, as well as digital skills and attention to detail.
    Well how about that. And here's me thinking you just add water.
    And then we get onto staffing levels and there's no money blah,blah, blah...
    Have they never heard of Job Bridge?
    Or even checked to see if any of us interested parties might be willing to give our time for free to get this moving. They could even throw in a few vouchers for the GRO to entice us.
    The lack of imagination just beggars belief.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have they never heard of Job Bridge?
    Or even checked to see if any of us interested parties might be willing to give our time for free to get this moving. They could even throw in a few vouchers for the GRO to entice us.
    The lack of imagination just beggars belief.

Actually, afaik, the one person they have working on corrections is a job bridge person.

Also, the GRO is an entirely different entity and there's no way they could mix.

(Not defending them, just trying to think like them).

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    ...just trying to think like them...

Oh, please don't do that pinky!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mflood

The 1940 US Census which was supposed to take a year, was completed in just four months thanks to the successful partnership between a consortium of national genealogical organizations, FamilySearch.org and more than 163,000 volunteers. Why can't we do the same?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Setting up open ended projects to handle image sets transcribed elsewhere would be unviable. However, letting a site like Ancestry have the images and capturing the alternate names it allows entry of would be possible.

FamilySearch or Ancestry WAK should be investigated for the '26 census and possibly church records though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Guys, we'll get nowhere with this until the CSO caves and that doesn't look promising. Roll on the new (2027) year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

mflood wrote: »
    The 1940 US Census which was supposed to take a year, was completed in just four months thanks to the successful partnership between a consortium of national genealogical organizations, FamilySearch.org and more than 163,000 volunteers. Why can't we do the same?
    Because this is Ireland, the land of platitudes, of ‘shur it’ll be grand’ and of a confusion of self-congratulation and self-deception.. A place where mediocrity and lack of initiative is not only rewarded but positively encouraged (and inevitably re-elected with sickening regularity)!
    MYOB wrote: »
    Setting up open ended projects to handle image sets transcribed elsewhere would be unviable. However, letting a site like Ancestry have the images and capturing the alternate names it allows entry of would be possible.
    FamilySearch or Ancestry WAK should be investigated for the '26 census and possibly church records though.
    I’m a great believer in the way the Aussies have managed their ‘Trove’ website, with registered people granted access to correct data. Ancestry or any fee-based site should not be allowed sole ownership of such key data, it should be open-source.
    Having spent many hours over the last couple of weeks (unsuccessfully) scrutinising a microfilmed parish register in the NLI for an elusive ancestor, I agree that it would be pointless to outsource the work to a foreign country.
    I agree with Pinky, no point in wishing for advance release of the 1926 Census due to existing legislation. Not a hope in ever repealing that with what is stacked up in the pipeline. Given the rate of progress on other ideas it would be 2026 before the AG, committees, interparty codology, vested interests, Papers, Bills, etc ., were concluded.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/10/01/e15m-custom-house-emigration-museum/

Cork putting their case forward for a the location of the proposed 'National Diaspora Centre' but a few Euros can't be found to tweak the census website and take on some staff to update all the corrections. The National Diaspora Centre, if ever it happens, will yet another monumental waste of money if the basic tools for genealogical research are not put in place. Not only does the existing census need to be updated and the website expanded but the 1926 census needs to be put online - ASAP - whatever the legal problems are that may be in the way.

Even if they had the money, do they have the vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

National Diaspora Centre you say? Yeah, me too, first I heard of it. :confused:
    It would include a national centre for genealogical and genetic research possibly managed by UCC and a web-based resource that will give virtual access through the web to the World Centre for Irish Heritage.

So I looked it up and this is what I found; quite a bit of reading but puts one in the picture:

http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/4_Corporate_Documents/Strategy_Operations_Plans/National-Diaspora-Centre-Feasibility-Study-Final-April-2013.pdf?ext=.pdf

mod9maple wrote: »
    National Diaspora Centre you say? Yeah, me too, first I heard of it. :confused:

So I looked it up and this is what I found; quite a bit of reading but puts one in the picture:

http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/4_Corporate_Documents/Strategy_Operations_Plans/National-Diaspora-Centre-Feasibility-Study-Final-April-2013.pdf?ext=.pdf

I bet that that fancy consultants report cost more than enough to employ some additional staff at the National Archives. Anything that comes from Failte Ireland is first rate bull**** - from my direct experience rather than opinion.

I wonder should I drop Enda Kenny an email and tell him that I like to be on the board of Failte Eireann - sure you only have to ask....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That "NDC" has been on the agenda for a couple of years. Some of the vested interests are strongly pushing Limerick as a venue and I've heard that location has a good chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

That "NDC" has been on the agenda for a couple of years. Some of the vested interests are strongly pushing Limerick as a venue and I've heard that location has a good chance.

Completely nuts. People looking for their heritage and ancestry will have to trek to Limerick? Absolutely disgusting, and the idea that "vested interests" should be involved… what a country this has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Completely nuts. People looking for their heritage and ancestry will have to trek to Limerick? Absolutely disgusting, and the idea that "vested interests" should be involved… what a country this has become.

The only genuinely sensible spot for it is in Dublin quite frankly. Why not build it beside the airport? But then that takes common sense! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Too close to the airport and they'd need sound proofing, too expensive. Anyway not in the middle of the city, somewhere they could expand in the future. Wouldn't want to make the mistake of the NAI again, running out of space. There must be land available on the outskirts of the capital they could use. I thought of the Phoenix Park/Farmleigh area but then again I wouldn't like to see any building in the park, its lovely as it is. Suggestions?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Too close to the airport and they'd need sound proofing, too expensive. Anyway not in the middle of the city, somewhere they could expand in the future. Wouldn't want to make the mistake of the NAI again, running out of space. There must be land available on the outskirts of the capital they could use. I thought of the Phoenix Park/Farmleigh area but then again I wouldn't like to see any building in the park, its lovely as it is. Suggestions?

Suggestion: No need for such a centre. Spending a few million on sorting out the census problems and getting the 1926 one online would be much more likely to pay dividends - but it's just not sexy enough.

Well yes, of course, get the Census right, and better still, use local labour to do it. When I read about correcting errors here I had already reported some, but then I started keeping a record of what I reported, to date I haven't seen any corrections of those.

Corrections are very hit and miss - some that I've reported have been done and others repeatedly ignored. Plus, as I've already mentioned there's no way of reporting misspelt streets, townlands etc. I might try emailing the woeful Jimmy Deenihan again - he's 'Minister for the Diaspora' - or the equal woeful Heather Humphreys (Arts & Heritage) but she might be under a bus shortly/hopefully.

Advertisement