Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thom's Directory 1875/1876

• 18-01-2012 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi There,

Would anyone have access to these ?

I am looking for details on Coles Lane, Dublin North City. I am looking for a shop owned by a person with the surname Graves.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

closest dates I can do are just before and after with 1872 and 1877 .. no sign of any entries for the surnames Graves

In 1872
    1 Judith Cullen, broker
    2 & 3 tenements
    4 & 5 ruins
    6 & 7 Peter Rice, marine stores
    8 Christopher Sheridan, vintner
    9 & 10 Francis McKenna, rag & bone yard
    11 to 15 tenements
    16 Patrick Byrne, greengrocer
    17 to 22 tenements
    23 Chr. Cavanagh, marine dlr.
    24 to 30 tenements
    31 Joseph Roache, vintner
    32 James Farrell, prov. dlr.
    33 to 36 tenements
    37 Patrick Kavanagh, broker
    38 to 42 tenements
    43 Samuel Gatchell & sons, factory
    44 tenements

much of the street has vanished by 1877, from the listing at least - with some of the same entries as 1872 (new entries in bold) :
    1 Judith Cullen, broker
    6 & 7 Peter Rice, marine stores
    8 James Donohoe, grocer
    9 & 10 Francis McKenna, rag & bone yard
    16 Patk. Byrne, grocer
    17 James Keenan, grocer
    23 Chr. Cavanagh, marine dlr.
    31 Joseph Roache, vintner
    32 James Farrell, prov. dlr.
    43 Samuel Gatchell & sons, factory
    44 C.T. Cunningham, umbrella and parasol manufacturer

do you have first names and trades for your Graves ?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

If you can't find one anywhere else, I can try to pop over to the library across the road from my work that has loads of Thoms. It'll probably be next week at this stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Thanks so much Shane for writing that out and thanks for the offer to go over to the lib Alicat.

The name is Laurence Graves and his death cert states he was a huckster on Coles Lane, while living on Horsemans Row. I think maybe a huckster can operate out of a shop or a stall so maybe he was like a trader.

I found out, from the 1901 census, that his daughter, as an adult, ran a shop on Coles Lane and I thought that he may have passed it onto her.

I am going to head to the National Library and make a day of it but thanks again for the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I dont think that there was a shop at your Graves residence in 1901. The building returns (Form B1) show that section of buildings as tenements. The transcription shows your Graves at 33.6 - but the B1 has Thomas as #34...

Shane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Thom's Directory is freely available for consultation in the NLI (in the Manuscripts reading room, at least) so you don't have to pre-oder it. Also, when you're in the NLI, make sure to talk to the archivist(s) on duty and ask their advice. They are generally very helpful and knowledgeable and should be able to provide you with possible alternative sources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Sorry- I'm getting confused. I've checked my notes and Laurence Graves lived on Horseman's Row and apparently, he was a huckster on Coles Lane until 1876, when he died.

His daughter Catherine Graves, was a shop keeper on the 1901 census, but she was on Horseman's Row- not Coles Lane as I said before.

Thomas Graves (her brother) lived on Coles Lane but he was admitted to the Richmond Lunatic Asylum a few years later. Bad for him- but good for me as they had a photo of him :D

I would love to find out more about the shop Catherine had. I wonder would there be any records of it elsewhere- I will try the NLI for more sources- thanks !!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Pearse St library also has a complete run of Thoms and better opening hours!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement