Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liscleary Cemetery

• 24-03-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Looking for advice here please.

Know for a fact that a relative of mine is buried in Liscleary cemetery in 1911.

Went to see the cemetery today but its very small and Im just wondering is it possible that there is a newer one.

Im attaching a link that gives the old cemeteries in the Cork area and Liscleary is mentioned twice.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/Ireland/CorkGraveyards.htm

Can someone let me know why it might get a mention twice? (R.C. or C. of I. maybe?)

Many thanks in advance

Kilsmum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Don't know anything about Liscleary but Caherlag is on the Rootsweb list twice also and there is definitely only 1 cemetery in Caherlag. I wonder if it's something to do with the cemetery straddling two PLU areas, Caherlag is listed in both Cork & Midleton, Liscleary is in both Cork & Kinsale. Is this the cemetery you visited http://wikimapia.org/8806572/Liscleary-Graveyard

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭kilsmum

That's the cemetery I went to Wyldwood - the cemetery is so small thats why I was wondering.

Maybe the explanation about the cemetery belonging to two PLU areas is right.

Im going from the death notice and it just says "funeral on tomorrow Wednesday from Cathedral at 12.30pm for Liscleary. (I assume there is only one Liscleary and the funeral mass was definitely from a catholic church)

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Kilsmum:)

Any ideas where I go from here?

I went to the cemetery - the headstones were in very good condition compared to the cemeteries I have been to in recent months.

In short - no headstone for my great grandfather - when he married in 1902 on his wedding cert his father was deceased - no headstone for his father who had the same christian and surname as my ggf - maybe its his mothers burial plot.

The registrar for the cemetery only has records going back to the 1930s - Im looking at 1911 - I would be very grateful for any suggestions

Thanks in advance - as always - where would I be without Boards......

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Kilsmum
    In my experience, unless the family were wealthy, there is unlikely to be any headstone. Back then it wasn't usual for labourers or working class to have headstones.
    Did you find any record of grave purchase when you went to view the grave purchase records in County Hall? I found the grave of my ggrandfather that way.
    It's very frustrating when you hit a brick wall!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Kilsmum,

What were you hoping to find out from the headstone? I agree with Wyldwood. I found the exact spot where my gg grandfather was buried in Deansgrange but there's no headstone (he died 1902). They gave me what detail they had but it had never been used again by our family.

P

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Pinky Pinky and Wyldwood - thanks very much for responding.

I was hoping to get more information about my great grandfathers family maybe find out his mothers name which would help a lot trying to track his siblings.

When I went to the County Hall I was only looking for my great grandfathers surname. I don't remember seeing Liscleary cemetery mentioned in the book but at that stage I didn't know what year my great grandfather died and didn't have a clue where he was buried. The registrar for the cemetery did suggest getting on to Carrigaline County Council and maybe they would have records before the 1930s but its a long shot I know. The only other option would be to have a look at the records from the 1930s onwards in case his siblings were buried in the same plot. I know for definite he had a sister and maybe a brother.

Wyldwood - you could be right about the headstone. When my great grandmother died in 1966 only then was a headstone put up in the cemetery even though she was buried with her mothers family and her mother died in 1911!

Thanks again for all the help - its very much appreciated.

Kilsmum:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I presume you already have his death cert? If he died after April, you can find him on the 1911 and if not, the 1901 census will still tell you how long he was married...if you get their marriage cert, you can start tracing back that way. It won't give you his mother's maiden name but often you can also find the church record which should give it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have both the marriage and the death cert. The marriage register didn't give any detail of William's mothers name.

When William's sister Mary signed the marriage cert in 1902 she used an address of 87, Friars Walk in Cork but when I went back to the 1901 census none of the house numbers go up to 87, they seemed to stop around the mid 40s - I got help from Shane on this. I might have found a mother, sister and brother in the 1901 census but as far as I can see the address doesn't tally. William didn't appear to be living in the family home at that time (he had a different address on the marriage cert in June 1902).

William died in 1911 about two and a half weeks before the 1911 census and Im nearly sure that his brother was living in William's house at the time. The reason I think I have the right family is that his christian name is the same as the possible match family in found in the 1901 census.

This is basically what I have to work on - its not a lot but I'll keep searching.

Any suggestions on where I go from here would be most welcome and very much appreciated as always.

Thanks again Kilsmum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dee12_7

Hi Kilsmum!Its been a while since you posted this thread so Im not sure if you if found what you're looking for but my ancestors on my mothers side were all buried in Liscleary Cemetery so as far as I know theres only one graveyard.I dont know why Kinsale is mentioned on that site as Liscleary is in the area of Ballygarvan. I think that it may be possible that some of your ancestors didn't have headstones.My great grandmother and great grandfather are buried there but for some unknown reason they never had a headstone,and my great grandmother only died in 1960.My grandaunt claimed that they weren't allowed to place a headstone there but I dont know what she said the reason was.

Ive been looking for some ancestors too and the best way I found to get info on the next generation back is to locate either birth or baptismal records for the oldest ancestor you know of, in your case William. Theres a site called irishgenealogy.ie which has online records for baptisms and marriages in Cork,Carlow,Dublin and Kerry.It might be helpful but not all records are there so you may not find what you're looking for. Theres also a database for registered births,deaths and marriages in Ireland called familysearch.org but you may be already familiar with that. I hope you find/found what you've been looking for because I know myself how frustrating it can be when you find yourself going around in circles! :)

Advertisement