Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Guys - we all need a change of tone. (IMO)

Anyone want to talk about what they will do post lockdown ?

To start - I'm always slow off the mark for the same 4 ball - at the same time. at the same day. I don't like the mouse clicks or finger touches of chasing a tee time like a concert ticket.

I'll prefer a Tuesday or a random Thursday with the panic 1/2 gone. Play 9 with a few close friends or a few random unknowns - win a fiver , hit a big drive (not as big as before) , see a line, make a putt. Hit a mid iron that is so perfect it feels effortless.

Be aware of my surroundings and the outrageous peacefulness and oasis that golf present in suburbia.

Enjoy a rare break for the course growth - observe the ground and the grass and the rest it has had. A well deserved rest, from these over demanding cranky golfers.

Observe how nature has reclaimed the course and things that are far too natural and right.

Be back in touch with the sea and the birds and the views and the sunset and the feeling and sounds of silence.

Enjoy the odd conversation with a passer by - a chat with the greenkeepers.

Meet the incredible older golfers - the ones who have survived, or have been vaccinated - hear the stories of cocooning and what the vaccine was like. Hear in disappointment - of some of the men in their 80s who will not be back - or the time lost , was lost time to their last time on a course.

I look forward to my first pint in the clubhouse, my first meal - but perhaps that is hope past real hope.

I look forward to the first drink of water from a well placed drinking tap.

I look forward to my first birdie - my hopeful missed eagle - my first round under 80.

I even look forward to finding my first golf ball - and a coke on the course.

I even look forward to seeing stupid slow play, people breaking rules and marking balls wrong :D

Perhaps - this will change me to be more tolerant and appreciative.

But come back to me in a year :D

I'm only after re-joining a club this year after a lengthy absence where I just played casual golf here and there but often no more than 5/6 rounds a year. For me this summer I hope to just play as many courses as I can in as many far off places as I can as well as getting a handicap and improving as quickly as possible. Aim for the year is to improve my irons, particularly my low irons as I seem to have lost the ability to hit those consistently. My last range session I somehow broke my 4i as well so need to get that fixed.

We'll probably end up holidaying somewhere in the west of Ireland so I hope to try to get to a few over there. Closer to me I want to try get to the Heritage, Rosslare and Mount Juliet this year at some point.

Once I get back in the swing of things I might try get to a few boards society events so we can argue in person :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone want to talk about what they will do post lockdown ?

I'm hoping to do a lot of practise in the garden over the next month, to at least have some semblance of a swing in me before we get back. Have a good length putting mat, and will do a bunch of drills to try and improve my putting as well.

Plenty of room in the back garden for short chipping drills, and i've a net on order to keep my iron swings going. Not sure the net will take a driver hit, but i'll give it a go :)

In reality, none of that will matter and i'll almost certainly slice my 1st drive...and it will be glorious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Kiith wrote: »
    In reality, none of that will matter and i'll almost certainly slice my 1st drive...and it will be glorious :D

On my first day back after the last lockdown I toe shanked my driver on the first hole 90* into the trees facing me....thankfully there were only about 8 people waiting :o
    The worst feeling was standing over the next shot wondering what was going to happen though (especially since it was *very* close to the last one :))

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you're gonna **** up, do it in style i say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm only after re-joining a club this year after a lengthy absence where I just played casual golf here and there but often no more than 5/6 rounds a year. For me this summer I hope to just play as many courses as I can in as many far off places as I can as well as getting a handicap and improving as quickly as possible. Aim for the year is to improve my irons, particularly my low irons as I seem to have lost the ability to hit those consistently. My last range session I somehow broke my 4i as well so need to get that fixed.

We'll probably end up holidaying somewhere in the west of Ireland so I hope to try to get to a few over there. Closer to me I want to try get to the Heritage, Rosslare and Mount Juliet this year at some point.

Once I get back in the swing of things I might try get to a few boards society events so we can argue in person :D

Complete keyboard warriors. In real life like a pack of puppies. Cute , lacking coordination and a bit slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Anyone want to talk about what they will do post lockdown ? ]

I’m getting a few lessons including a putting lesson when we’re allowed.

I’m hoping to play some courses I’ve never played like The Island (if they fingers crossed release a GUI deal) and Dooks.

I’m also going back to the European on some nice mid week morning post lockdown. The place was empty and they were very sound down there to visitors last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Im just hoping that my golf trousers still fit after all the covid related eating for a year :D

Im just hoping that my golf trousers still fit after all the covid related eating for a year :D

ah dont be ridiculous, of course they wont!

They will be too big for you after all that covid training we all promised we would do with all this spare time... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

GreeBo wrote: »
    On my first day back after the last lockdown I toe shanked my driver on the first hole 90* into the trees facing me....thankfully there were only about 8 people waiting :o
    The worst feeling was standing over the next shot wondering what was going to happen though (especially since it was *very* close to the last one :))

You really have lost length, our first is a short par 3 :P

• Advertisement

Luckycharm wrote: »
    You really have lost length, our first is a short par 3 :P

Bah, you are living in the past man!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don’t you know some golfers lay up on par 3’s

slave1 wrote: »

I'd rather a global pandemic.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Bah, you are living in the past man!:D

Fair play GreeBo - you can make a joke about yourself :D

not sure you will see this - but if not, it is time we all calm down a bit - bad times.

Not a chance you will lay up after all this I hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

slave1 wrote:

I'd rather a global pandemic.

Billy Casper layed up on the par 3 third hole at Winged Foot in all four rounds in the 1959 US Open.

He won.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Today is a day youd miss the golf. First time in god knows how long for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭boardise

Thank goodness golfers aren't allowed to crowd into cars, travel to courses, mill around on the first tee and then congregate outside the clubhouse before heading off to spray the virus all over the place.
    We all know how irresponsible golfers are - caring nothing about their own health or the wellbeing of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Mushy wrote: »
    Today is a day youd miss the golf. First time in god knows how long for me

Weather has been really good lately, perfect golf conditions. Makes it even harder to miss out on it. Roll on April when hopefully the weather is even better and we'll be playing on Augusta like courses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Lip Out

What a morning for.... another walk. :mad:

https://streamable.com/y24279

546123.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

boardise wrote: »
    Thank goodness golfers aren't allowed to crowd into cars, travel to courses, mill around on the first tee and then congregate outside the clubhouse before heading off to spray the virus all over the place.
    We all know how irresponsible golfers are - caring nothing about their own health or the wellbeing of others.

Get a life, milling around shopping centres coffee stands, bumping into each other in parks no different but they are allowed, but hey you got a response and that might keep you happy for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lip Out wrote: »
    What a morning for.... another walk. :mad:

https://streamable.com/y24279

546123.jpg

Wicklow looking well. Might try get a game there when I'm back home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭boardise

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Get a life, milling around shopping centres coffee stands, bumping into each other in parks no different but they are allowed, but hey you got a response and that might keep you happy for a while

Ah lads ,come on - don't tell me you thought I was being serious . :eek:
    I keep underestimating the risks of trying sarcasm on a forum but I thought the
    exaggerated language used might have been a clue... [crowd , mill ,congregate , spray , irresponsible]
    I have posted many times about my disgust at the absurd closure of golf -last year and this.
    Sorry for causing confusion.Must try harder next time .

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Break80

exaggerated language used might have been a clue... [crowd , mill ,congregate , spray , irresponsible]
    I have posted many times about my disgust at the absurd closure of golf -last year and this.

Fella,s are fierce sensitive this morning when they saw the sunshine 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Break80 wrote: »
    Fella,s are fierce sensitive this morning when they saw the sunshine 🌞

Yea it’s nice out there.
    I’m off out now with the kids. Going to bring them to the park so that they can lick a few slides and swings:D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

No bother sorry about that bud

This is it - people are just too cranky even for a joke. There are also a good few posters here - that jump into conflict as soon as possible. I know I'm no angel myself :D

We could be seeing the end point of covid and internet interaction - people getting abusive with each other straight away - over what amounts to a difference of opinion. :)

Was looking at the course today - it is getting a bit comical - as there is literally no difference to what people are up to versus golf.

I don't think people will put up with a closing of anything again. We are at some sort of end point with covid and public opinion. People will even take death of people now (that is the reality) - it wasn't like that at the start.

I'm still not mad for a game - or mad for it to open up - as I hate all the chasing of tee times and the hassle of it. I prefer more freedom and choice around golf.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    No bother sorry about that bud

Golfhead - did you just say sorry - don't be softening up on us yet :p:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

This is it - people are just too cranky even for a joke. There are also a good few posters here - that jump into conflict as soon as possible. I know I'm no angel myself :D

We could be seeing the end point of covid and internet interaction - people getting abusive with each other straight away - over what amounts to a difference of opinion. :)

Was looking at the course today - it is getting a bit comical - as there is literally no difference to what people are up to versus golf.

I don't think people will put up with a closing of anything again. We are at some sort of end point with covid and public opinion. People will even take death of people now (that is the reality) - it wasn't like that at the start.

I'm still not mad for a game - or mad for it to open up - as I hate all the chasing of tee times and the hassle of it. I prefer more freedom and choice around golf.

This ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Time to get all the tasks on the should do list done (power hose paths, spruce up the bbq (might even use it today), cut the lawn/hedge, clean out shed, was the windows etc etc). Don’t want to be caught out having to stay and do that when we do get back on course (I’m still hoping Apr 12 with absolutely nothing to back that up bar hope).

• Advertisement

higster wrote: »
    Time to get all the tasks on the should do list done (power hose paths, spruce up the bbq (might even use it today), cut the lawn/hedge, clean out shed, was the windows etc etc). Don’t want to be caught out having to stay and do that when we do get back on course (I’m still hoping Apr 12 with absolutely nothing to back that up bar hope).

Now there is a man with a real plan.

I'm still thinking of leaving the Christmas tree up - I might have another zoom with a stupid ****ing quiz with 24 Guinness and eat peanuts at 2am.

Only 1/2 joking :D

Advertisement