Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My heritage monthly or quarterly?

Options
  • 22-02-2021 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Do my heritage ever do monthly or quarterly memberships? I doubt I’d need the full year as I’m just trying to fill a couple of blanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

OU812 wrote: »
    Do my heritage ever do monthly or quarterly memberships? I doubt I’d need the full year as I’m just trying to fill a couple of blanks.

Any particular reason for using ‘My Heritage’? I have found them extremely poor for Ireland and did not renew my sub after I joined. (So poor in fact that I forgot about it, then got auto-renewed and took nunerous calls/emails and three weeks to get a refund!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I have some DNA stuff on there which doesn't appear in Ancestry & wanted to explore it, as well as various trees I wanted to check that some of the detail (in the mailout) matches mine, but they have additional information I don't.

Also interested in the DNA Ethnicity estimate. which was previously available but is now under subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

OU812 wrote: »
    I have some DNA stuff on there which doesn't appear in Ancestry & wanted to explore it, as well as various trees I wanted to check that some of the detail (in the mailout) matches mine, but they have additional information I don't.

Also interested in the DNA Ethnicity estimate. which was previously available but is now under subscription.

That’s close to why I took out a sub initially – I availed of a special offer for DNA test (two for one?) for a family member to help identify lines, then after a while took out a full sub to investigate further.

About 600 out of 10,000 matches were in Ireland. My comments on their DNA results are HERE. I’ve yet to use the second DNA kit.

I was going to write a review of MyHeritage and saved some details. My search results were so ‘off’ I thought I was doing something wrong, so I tried using details I knew. I input details for my grandfather born 1895, Co. Tipp. The results numbered 1,499 but despite the data input he did not appear in the first 40 ‘hits’ – most are in UK/US/Australia and after no.40 it goes into spelling variations of my surname. I then searched more precisely, for a Cork (born, married, lived & died) great grandmother using her name and year of birth, place of birth, place of residence and father’s name – that produced 842 results. The first is a woman of her name & y.o.b. but in New York. The second is a marriage for a woman of her name but the marriage is seven years before her birth. The next two are for Cork marriages when she would have been aged 9 and 13 years respectively and the fathers’ names are incorrect. By no.10 I’ve hit those in Massachusetts and Australia. After that the results are just names with ill-matched dates, taken apparently from CLDS etc., and the records have no images.

In my opinion if you want a cheap (when on special offer) DNA test for use on Gedmatch buying one from MyHeritage is OK, but for Irish genealogical research it has very poor results and has been very disappointing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I already have the DNA for most of the family (couple of people didn’t want to unfortunately) which I uploaded to my heritage from ancestry.

It’s the other looks into what that tells that I’m interested in.

For example, before they went sub only on some of the features, my spouse reported as being 16% Spanish which although it answered a couple of questions in terms of personality, raised more as her father thought his heritage was purely Irish. Her mother is a mixture of English and Irish so it doesn’t come from there.

We eventually talked him into doing a test too but unfortunately they’d gone sub only at that point.

Would appear that there may have been a Balearic or Spanish sailor in the mix a couple of generations ago which is being contested.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My Heritage is not charging unlock fees for uploaded DNA kits this week, so I think that means you can get those additional features.
    I really wouldn't really on anything in the ethnicity area though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement