Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

• 18-10-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

whelan2 wrote: »
    One of our Angus bulls had a pig tail post wrapped in his ring this morning

Photo please :pac:

Did he pull up the electric fence pic or was he rooting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

gozunda wrote: »
    Photo please :pac:

Did he pull up the electric fence pic or was he rooting?

I didnt have time to take a photo. I gave him meal and my dad grabbed the post and twisted it out of the ring. He has been messing at the fence this last 2while. Just what we needed on a Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

NcdJd wrote: »
    Anyone know what type of horse this horseshoe would have been on ? It's massive and heavy. Cigarette lighter for scale. :D

It’s not from a Clydesdale or a shire. Not big enough. It is from a work horse and looks to be about right to fit a large Irish draught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

TheFarrier wrote: »
    It’s not from a Clydesdale or a shire. Not big enough. It is from a work horse and looks to be about right to fit a large Irish draught.

Some weight in it. My father called them a plough horse, said alot of them had a tough life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

gozunda wrote: »
    Thanks. Stayed out of there for a long while lol.. But enough is enough. That 'dziry = cruelty' thread has been bizarrely running there without interruption for some time now and still going. I asked if a "vegan diet = cruelty to children" thread would also be OK or in anyway representative. No reply to that suggestion funnily enough. Seems its OK for some there to spread hate and propaganda against farming and farmers. But anyone replying to that type of rubbish is 'anti-vegan'. :rolleyes:

It's the only topic over there that gets any amount of posts.
    The rest of the threads are over a week old

Some weight in it. My father called them a plough horse, said alot of them had a tough life.

Yep they’d have worked hard alright. Many of them would have been looked after fairly well and many would have been worked hard and put up wet too. I’ve a collection of those old shoes in the forge that have been gathered over the years.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    MCDonnells Fermoy have value offers for the next two weeks. They normally do a month sale but I'd say most of these outlets have had a great year of sales.
    http://mcdbros.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2020-oct.pdf

I think there is some good value there. The Jefferson Genny is listed at €1425.
    Probably get the Condon feed barriers. Just have a single bar over butt wall and they pull in a fair bit of silage.

I must do something similar here, but the uprights only extend about 2 foot above the low wall. Any barrier I’ve seen is much higher, I wonder would I get one made to order to fit the uprights?? Or would it cost a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The 2 ft of upright would be enough to hold them, if I understand you right.
    I hope to get to view them during the week.

Anyone watch DIY sos on rte 1 there. There are some good people left in the world.

One of our Angus bulls had a pig tail post wrapped in his ring this morning

I gave him meal and my dad grabbed the post and twisted it out of the ring.

I had to think about where it was caught twice :o

I was glad for the bull after the second post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

TheFarrier wrote: »
    I must do something similar here, but the uprights only extend about 2 foot above the low wall. Any barrier I’ve seen is much higher, I wonder would I get one made to order to fit the uprights?? Or would it cost a fortune

Did you measure them? 2 ft sounds very low. I cant see any measurements on the offer, only the pipe thickness at 60mm or 76mm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

Post 10001 in this thread. The hamsters are in overdrive.

Grueller wrote: »
    Post 10001 in this thread. The hamsters are in overdrive.

Someone is in for a reprimand letter in their file for violating the quota :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

Someone is in for a reprimand letter in their file for violating the quota :eek:

A superlevy on the way for over quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mod on the batter again.

Water John wrote: »
    Mod on the batter again.

Hard get good help these days :pac:

Any good names for the new thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

I see adverts is full of scams tonight. Loads of brand new accounts selling 3 or 4 €30K tractors each. Adverts wouldn't normally have any tractors in that price range so they really stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Any good names for the new thread?
    Farming Chitchat - Proper Farmers Only ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Base price wrote: »

Chit chat eleven. Farming is lockdown heaven.

:( what about the token horticulturalist ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

And what about the hobby farmers?

Tis one of the few areas in farming that’s expanding :):(

No vegans allowed :D

:( what about the token horticulturalist ?
    And what about the hobby farmers?

Tis one of the few areas in farming that’s expanding :):(
    It was a throwback to a comment made by a poster some time ago about "proper farmers" as opposed to the rest of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Chit chat 11. Soil health heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Remember our local branch IFA chairman describing most of the rest of us as "Mickey Mouse farmers" ....
    Man has no filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I sold my bike in may when bikes nearly couldn't be got when I wasn't feeling great, OH headed off this morning with a group and rode 90kms.
    So I'm feeling very old tonight

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Remember our local branch IFA chairman describing most of the rest of us as "Mickey Mouse farmers" ....
    Man has no filter.

The now local IFA chairman and another man then a national representative were snickering at two other men while a crowd were waiting for a guest to appear, "nothing but hobby farmers them two".

Anyone in earshot knew who the reflection was on anyway, wasn't the hobby farmers either.

wrangler wrote: »
    I sold my bike in may when bikes nearly couldn't be got when I wasn't feeling great, OH headed off this morning with a group and rode 90kms.
    So I'm feeling very old tonight
    You can still get plenty of exercise bringing the dogs for a walk around the farm. TBH it would be my preference rather than going cycling, wearing a gimp suit and holding up the traffic :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Seeing as Whelan started the original chit chat series, we've named no 11 in your honour.

Last page of chit chat 10 is here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058005042&page=666

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Seeing as Whelan started the original chit chat series, we've named no 11 in your honour.

Feck I thought I was site banned for posting in the vegan forum when the post button of the old thread was greyed out. :o Heart palpitations..

Advertisement