Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2017, 17:49   #76
Ipso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post
Some people want safe drinking water, free of pollutants, contaminants and toxins.

They want the relevant science to be thorough in that regard also.

Yet I've never heard such people being referred to as Anti-Water!
Anti homeopaths?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 17:52   #77
mzungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post
Some people want safe drinking water, free of pollutants, contaminants and toxins.

They want the relevant science to be thorough in that regard also.

Yet I've never heard such people being referred to as Anti-Water!
If they refused to drink water then maybe they might!
25-08-2017, 18:11   #78
Academic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyarsebogman View Post
The people that think vaccines are bad often think they cause autism.

Do you really think they know that influenza is a virus?
True. I should have said I hope everyone here knows. I'm just speaking to thread contributors, not the rest of the world.

And of course every time a physician gives into a patient's demand for antibiotics they contribute to the creation of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Thanks from:
25-08-2017, 19:43   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
Any anti- vaxxer I've bothered listening to - "I did a lot a lot of research and I decided not to vaccinate them"

Me - "You went to med school, got your degree, did your internship and qualified as a Doctor?"

Them - "no, I checked it up on Google and blah blah blah"

Me - "we'll change the topic"

There is no point.
you do know that doctors themselves (as in the standard GP) have done sweet fa research on the topic.
They just lash of the official medical guidelines , they may understand the topic better than the average punter but please don't claim they know whether a vaccine is safe any better than anybody else.

It's kinda worrying that you think that....further worrying is your implication that the average person can;'t challenge medical opinion because they don't have the degree etc..
medical opinion isn't infallible at all.
(4) thanks from:
25-08-2017, 19:56   #80
steddyeddy

In fairness doctors have contributed to anti-biotic resistance via the over prescription of antibiotics.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 20:07   #81
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

In defence of GP's, they're all trained under a system which was designed for a time when people suffered and died from much simpler ailments such as industrial accidents, car crashes and heart attacks. Obviously these are still prevalent but the fact is that we're safer and will on the whole live much longer than our parents' generation. Disease demographics are undergoing a serious transition with personalised medicine like gene editing and immunotherapies on course to play ever increasing roles in treating diseases like Dementia, Cancer and Autoimmunity.

Every year, there is more and more research done. That means more data which needs to be correctly generated and analysed and then published. It's frankly impossible for GP's to keep up to date with all this. There are market innovations on the way which should help like devices which monitor people's BP and such but the system means GP's start behind and simply fall further and further behind as time goes on.
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2017, 20:14   #82
pc7

My kids creche I had to supply their vaccine passports to show they were up to date. They wouldn't have taken them if they weren't.
25-08-2017, 20:17   #83
steddyeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
In defence of GP's, they're all trained under a system which was designed for a time when people suffered and died from much simpler ailments such as industrial accidents, car crashes and heart attacks. Obviously these are still prevalent but the fact is that we're safer and will on the whole live much longer than our parents' generation. Disease demographics are undergoing a serious transition with personalised medicine like gene editing and immunotherapies on course to play ever increasing roles in treating diseases like Dementia, Cancer and Autoimmunity.

Every year, there is more and more research done. That means more data which needs to be correctly generated and analysed and then published. It's frankly impossible for GP's to keep up to date with all this. There are market innovations on the way which should help like devices which monitor people's BP and such but the system means GP's start behind and simply fall further and further behind as time goes on.
In fairness A that was years ago. We know for a fact a large part of antibiotics are prescribed for the wrong bacteria. They should keep up with relevant science. It's not some cutting edge science that dictates how antibiotics are effective.
25-08-2017, 20:24   #84
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
In fairness A that was years ago. We know for a fact a large part of antibiotics are prescribed for the wrong bacteria. They should keep up with relevant science. It's not some cutting edge science that dictates how antibiotics are effective.
If they're seeing patients all day, how are they supposed to find time to read and appraise papers. The logical answer is that the HSE should update its guidelines. I don't know why that hasn't happened.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2017, 20:25   #85
SpannerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
25-08-2017, 20:41   #86
Conor74

Quote:
Originally Posted by arayess View Post
you do know that doctors themselves (as in the standard GP) have done sweet fa research on the topic.
They just lash of the official medical guidelines , they may understand the topic better than the average punter but please don't claim they know whether a vaccine is safe any better than anybody else.

It's kinda worrying that you think that....further worrying is your implication that the average person can;'t challenge medical opinion because they don't have the degree etc..
medical opinion isn't infallible at all.
Ah come on, they are in a far better position to process and understand the information about the research and implications than the average Google expert.

It's kinda worrying that you don't appreciate that. Further worrying is that you equate the abilities of both. Expertise acquire by Google with no ability to really understand the information is incredibly fallible.
25-08-2017, 22:24   #87
Joeytheparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
Ah come on, they are in a far better position to process and understand the information about the research and implications than the average Google expert.

It's kinda worrying that you don't appreciate that. Further worrying is that you equate the abilities of both. Expertise acquire by Google with no ability to really understand the information is incredibly fallible.
Not even that but google gives you all the conspiracy thory crap and doesnt weed out the actual scientific data
25-08-2017, 22:28   #88
mezzz
Banned

i was anti-vaxxer myself,

but when my daughter was born i decided to trust the hospital,
worked out well so far but if knew then what i know now i would have stuck with anti-vax
25-08-2017, 22:31   #89
LirW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzz View Post

worked out well so far but if knew then what i know now i would have stuck with anti-vax
What do you know now?
25-08-2017, 22:31   #90
Mena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzz View Post

I'd say your daughter will be eternally greatful you had a, albeit brief, moment of lucidity.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion