Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

yea its not accepting my steam code's :mad: and i resubbed to play the new race ughh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Where are you entering them?

oh im entering them in the right place, but apparently i had a windows copy of the game and you cant use a steam code with the windows version :mad: so i am just down the price of the game+xpack and a sub fee, im trying to get a refund of steam but you cant do the automatic refund request on steam, and ive yet to get a reply from square support.

That sucks but yeah it kinda shows you the square disconnects I abandoned my first account for the same reason.

Hope you get a refund, you should if done immediately as you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Heh, finished up Titania last night. First group was a no-go. 20 min queue, followed by 45 minutes of wiping followed by everyone leaving. :pac:
    Nice little DPS check and enjoyed the fight well enough.

Second group came in and cleaned up with time to spare.

Installed Reshade as well. Me likey. Me likey a lot. Lots of options to play with but I just added a little sharpness and some extra colour for now.

• Advertisement

right i got my subscription cancelled and the enix support issued it for a refund, so now all i got to do is figure out how to use a steam... account err..
    woop refunded that was really frustrating.

Any of you guys got recommendations for the UI ? Also are there dps counters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Calhoun wrote: »
    Any of you guys got recommendations for the UI ? Also are there dps counters ?

Never used it, but google says use this: https://github.com/easly1989/ffxiv_actor

There is an option in the control settings to move your camera up a bit, putting your character lower on the screen, which apparently is better for seeing boss mechanics.

Other than that, the HUD is very configurable, so just move things around as you see fit. I've also not looked into macros yet but from speaking to friends they sound pretty powerful when you need to switch jobs often, or do a lot of crafting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ok, the story is already getting better. Got the airship back, and i enjoyed that zone, and the Dragoon story has been good so far. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Any other good class quests? Just thinking of my next character.

Kiith wrote: »
    Ok, the story is already getting better. Got the airship back, and i enjoyed that zone, and the Dragoon story has been good so far. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Any other good class quests? Just thinking of my next character.

Was the dragoon good ? The Archer one is a bit meh.

• Advertisement

So far, yeah. Just did the lvl45 quest, and got some Dragoon armour (finally). Interested to see how it turns out. I've heard the Dark Knight one is excellent.

I plan to do them all on one character , I'd love a decent story driven one as the Archer is very much a story of a racist elf and the lessons he learns.

When you're in a serious cutscene but this is the armor you're wearing :pac:

Jv3qS4N.png

Finished the base ARR content last night, which was a lot of fun. Thought it wouldn't take long to get to Heavensward content, but apparently i was mistaken and there are 100 quests to go through. Hopefully they are similar to the 2nd half of the previous content, and not an absolute slog to go through.

Currently lvl52 with my Dragoon.

Finally finished Shadowbringers. It's just excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Never used it, but google says use this: https://github.com/easly1989/ffxiv_actor

There is an option in the control settings to move your camera up a bit, putting your character lower on the screen, which apparently is better for seeing boss mechanics.

Other than that, the HUD is very configurable, so just move things around as you see fit. I've also not looked into macros yet but from speaking to friends they sound pretty powerful when you need to switch jobs often, or do a lot of crafting.

Be careful with that camera mod - its considered a breach of ToS, as it may modify game files.

DPS counter is ACT - widely used and the devs know about it. Works on a don't ask don't tell policy. If you use it keep quiet about it, and never bitch about somones DPS or you might get a ban.

Loads of addons available for ACT too, including a DBM type one called Cactbot.

ArthurG wrote: »
    Be careful with that camera mod - its considered a breach of ToS, as it may modify game files.

Not using a mod, there is a slider somewhere in the options menu. I'm assuming there is a mod which changes max zoom distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Not using a mod, there is a slider somewhere in the options menu. I'm assuming there is a mod which changes max zoom distance?

Ah ok... got you... yeah zooming out normally I just use the mouse scroll wheel.....

There is a mod i believe to allow you to really zoom out, but does modify game files as I understand it.

Noxin wrote: »
    When you're in a serious cutscene but this is the armor you're wearing :pac:

Jv3qS4N.png

Lol what are you wearing?

Switched from Dragoon to Samurai today and having a lot of fun. Story has slowed down considerably from the end of ARR, but it's not the worst. Lots of back and forth, so just watching a show when it gets really bad.

• Advertisement

Lol what are you wearing?

It's actually either the level 76 or 78 quest coffer gear you get for Dancer or I assume all ranged Physical DPS. Feckin hilarious looking but I don't recommend it for the cut-scenes :pac:

Finished up the final boss last night. Great fun. My first time and I had to school the group in what to do sadly but once I thought them about watching out for those hands, it went smoothly enough. Before that the group was constantly getting clattered about and I was left on my own.
    Logged out straight after the boss though as it was pretty late so I need to finish up any little followup quests today.

Really enjoyed learning the story in the city just before the boss too.

Now with all this done, I need to figure out how to gear up.
    I've never had a max level character in FFXIV before so need to do tonnes of unlocks too for older dungeons. Looking forward to getting stuck into all this and starting to work on my crafters too.

Quick question though - Marks. What is soloable and what is not. I solo'd a rank B elite easily so where does it start to needing groups? A? S?
    Kiith wrote: »
    Story has slowed down considerably from the end of ARR, but it's not the worst. Lots of back and forth, so just watching a show when it gets really bad.
    This is what I did during those annoying back and forth quests. Always have the TV on in the background with something on. Helps big time.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    While I have not bothered with Dark Knight myself, the lady who wrote the class-story is the one responsible for the Shadowbringers story. Everyone always talks about how the DK class quest is one of the best, and now it's clear that ShB as a whole was pretty much universally praised. Personally, ShB has been the 100% best expansion to an MMORPG I have ever played (and I've gamed every day for 30 years and played a hell of a lot of story-stuff). Content-wise, they always deliver the same way and it's usually full of heart and soul and love. Meanwhile, someone in BFA is probably sick to death of being strung along by Blizzards attempt to keep them playing 24/7.

For example, here's an FFVIII super-fan reacting to the FFVIII-themed content (Eden).

SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY!

This was no different when he encountered things like Kefka in Alphascape (FFV) and other content. If you find the above amusing, be sure to check the older reactions. Guy goes mental.

In short, SQUARE do their own products justice, but not in a "Oh hey, let's rinse and repeat old games for a few bucks". No. They know there are fans of older games and they strive to allow those people to re-enjoy those games in a brand new light. Just listen to the remixes, all the massive amount of references, the build-ups etc. This isn't a "give us your money" ploy by a long shot (even though they obviously need it to make more).

You can say what you like about SQUARE in general, but in terms of FFXIV? They have my utmost respect, and I'm not even a major FF fan. I've only really played VII and a teeny bit of VIII, but FFXIV is a game that I would play 24/7 if it had a broader approach to its new content.

I still play wow but only because i raid and i still have friends, i also play this and im trying to make the move to it as its more friendly for my team.

I on the other hand am a big FF fan. Just played 7 and 9 and im trying to sort out playing 6. I will drop money on their mount store for stuff that i like because nostalgia for the other games.

FF14 and the service they pay to their other games is amazing and im the type of whale they are targeting and i love it :P.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I'm already farting around on the VII Motorbike and enjoying that classic bike-theme, so I feel ya on the shop-items. The community will go absolutely ga-ga if FFXIV finally makes a VII content-patch. I know it has its haters, but it's highly anticipated. One would have assumed that the VII remake being so close might have been an incentive, but no -- as said earlier, Square (to date) have not really done anything with the sole interest of 'cashing in', even when extremely viable opportunities (like this) have presented themselves. They treat their references/content with the utmost love and respect, which is why I find it extremely hard to go back to WoW (which is suffering lately, not to mention the endless 'we want to keep you here').

Over the years, I've had a total of one crash in FFXIV. It's nicely optimized and can look amazing despite pushing on in age. The music... Oh god, the music... Absolutely love that FFVIII battle-theme remix and I know people out there are going to shed tears if/when Square inevitably makes Liberi Fatali again, not to mention anything to do with VII.

I laughed when Krimson KB sharted at the mention of
    Mt. Gulg
    in ShB (which is basically a reference to FF1), not to mention 'that part' of the SHB finale. It's all done in a wholesome and intelligent way rather than "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER THAT THING YOU LOVE? GIVE US YO MONEY WHILE WE RAM IT DOWN YO NECK ANY WAY WE CAN!"

So, er, yeah, without degrading into bias/fan territory, definitely consider getting your crew to migrate. So many others have lately and none have shown any legitimate/long-lasting regret, other than ARR being a slog.

I dropped 300 euro on the collectors edition of FFVII (just to clarify this was the first game that got me into RPG's it defined how i play games today and what i like), getting the bike in game was a must have. Did i need it? Do i have a disadvantage over people? no not a chance lol. What makes the square mounts a value add in my eyes is the music the have composed and linked to them.

Part of the reason i got super interested in FFXIV lately is because of the nods to FFVIII, i loved the gunblade in the game. Damn straight people are going to be excited for Liberi Fatali, what an opening scene. Some of the other scores from it are also excellent, i love the garden fighting music.

Who is Krimson KB, they worth watching? I need to give I a proper go i am on a FF binge right now and working through them all. What i enjoy most about the game is its a proper MMORPG and its not dumbed down too much, they balance a small bit of complexity with their launch cycles of content so your not constantly on the threadmill and can learn.

Wow on the other hand is just too dumbed down now, lack of community and spirit is what gets to me. Used to be great being in a major city with people you played with regularly with a nice piece of gear you earned. Was a status symbol and you could help each other out. Now its all instances and seperated, which FF doesn't do.

Ran the four raids yesterday. Very fun. Had a few wipes on the first boss but the other 3 went nicely with pugs.
    Very enjoyable overall.

Noxin wrote: »
    Ran the four raids yesterday. Very fun. Had a few wipes on the first boss but the other 3 went nicely with pugs.
    Very enjoyable overall.

Nice i hear they are really good, what did you think of the ff8 music ?

I spent lastnight setting my UI up and building a button placement for changing sets.

Nice i hear they are really good, what did you think of the ff8 music ?

I spent lastnight setting my UI up and building a button placement for changing sets.

Loved it. Loved the whole theme. Think it fits in with the FFXIV story really well too.
    Gave me a hankering to hit 8 but I'm in the middle of a 7 playthrough atm which I think is perfect. I'm not going hardcore at it so by the time I'm finished, the remaster should be available or fairly close.

On a side note, started leveling a Conj. I don't think this level 1 attire suits a healer... :rolleyes:
    https://i.imgur.com/sFJeS5t.jpg
    sFJeS5t.jpg

One of my FC mates was sitting listening to the balamb garden theme and i was getting excited lol.

I will have a look at him i sometimes don't mind spoilers as i am impatient and like to know what to watch out for.

I heard about the Scottzone drama, there are a bunch of guys i watch called worktogame they are alright but its nice to put on in the background. Its crazy he got death threats and even more so he was banned when a slap on the wrist could probably have done enough. The FF14 player base is very protective of it, the lazypeon also got allot of **** over it. A shame considering how cool the community can be.

I agree with you on the personalities, i like watching people that are easy to listen to but also have a decent take on a game. I don't like overly fanbois but also don't like haters either, these days the streamers i watch depend on the mood, if i want to see a game get **** on or talked about positively.

The major concern i have is that this is another stick to beat the fandom with and have them look like they are deranged.

I do get he should have had ticker skin but its annoying that a few bad apples color the FF14 community. I know its only a small minority but you know how the press are they pick it up and inflate it.

If Scott is looking to grow his profile its something he could even abuse.

Is that a gunbreaker of machinist you are playing? The theme music in the area you are in is really cool, very asian inspired.

• Advertisement

Just had my first run as a healer with a bad tank in Toto-Rak. Standing in puddles. Not picking up adds.
    Seeing as it was low level, I actually enjoyed it because it gave me something to do. Every dungeon previous barely required me to heal and only having 2 buttons for dps got boring quick.
    Still.. I can see how someone like that would quickly drive a healer insane.

Advertisement