Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[mod title edit] I bought Baileys On Sale in SuperValu For The RRP

• 27-11-2020 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Baileys was 10 euro for a 70cl for a couple days in Super Valu. I went today, not knowing when the deal was over. I saw 10 euro sticker infront of the baileys, grabbed 2 bottles. I had some other shopping too and then checked out, paid and drove home.
    I looked at the receipt and was charged 30 euro for each bottle. I didn't realise at the time about the charge, I wanted to get out of there ASAP, it was so busy. Turns out I grabbed two One Litre bottles. But they were behind the sticker and there were no others, even beside it.
    I have the bottles still here with the receipt. I called them today but no answer at all. I will return in the morning to return them.
    Do I have a right to the 10 euro price because they never removed the bright yellow sticker?
    Raging the checkout lady didn't say it to me. Why would I, a young lad be buying 2 bottles of baileys at 3pm in the day. She should have a bit of cop on. It would have been polite at least. I know I would say it if I worked there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

In a word, no.

Also, you didn't get scammed, you just weren't paying attention.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Absolutely no right. Its not even worth asking, you bought a different product.

They are not required to take a return either but almost certainly will.

The checkout staff member likely didn't know there was any deal to inform you; and there are plenty of reasons someone might be buying two bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Why would I, a young lad be buying 2 bottles of baileys at 3pm in the day. She should have a bit of cop on. It would have been polite at least. I know I would say it if I worked there.
    It’s not up to the shop staff to question the alcohol purchasing decisions of customers (as long as they’re 18+

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's an easy mistake to make. Not really their fault. Just return for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can we change the title? SV didn't scam the OP, they're just a dope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You had a chance to query it there and then at the till and return them, why didn’t you? The fact that it was busy makes no odds to you when your goods were already being processed. If I was charged €60 for items I presumed would be €20 I would ask for an explanation. And if you think you’re entitled to the €10 offer just because they happened to be placed there then no you are not
    I think it’s yourself who needs a bit of cop on here now not the lady doing an honest days work who probably didn’t even look at what you’re buying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

If you got 70cl for 10 euro

Then 1 litre would equal about 13 euro

By the sale price, 2 litres should be 26 euro

You paid 60 euro, so you’re out 34 euro

Not a big deal, bring back with receipt if it bothers you

Shops technically have right to charge anything at the till (‘Invitation to Treat’), but you were not scammed

And not really up to checkout staff to care about your age (as long as your over 18) and what time of the day it is

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Take the 2 bottles back for a refund- can we close the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

How did you not realise your cost was 40 EUR more expensive than it should have been??? What else were you buying?

While this is not a scam by the shop, it is sharp practice that happens frequently.

Feel free to make a formal complaint in writing, but only expect (at best) to get a refund (in exchange) for returning the bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Don't panic, politely explain and they should give you the refund for the 2 bottles. As for giving them to you at the special price, they may do it as a good will gesture... if they like you...

• Advertisement

Why would I, a young lad be buying 2 bottles of baileys at 3pm in the day. She should have a bit of cop on. It would have been polite at least. I know I would say it if I worked there.

Lesson learned.

1L bottles of Baileys are for oul wans.

If you want to return them, be nice. They've no obligation to take them back just because of buyers remorse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Title edited as I missed the claim of a "scam" which is not allowed here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm not sure how you expected the lady at the check out to know that you want to buy something different to what you put on the counter in front of her.

And you also expected her to know that you weren't happy that the price you paid wasn't the price you wanted to pay.

She's also supposed to wonder why you were buying Bailey's in the afternoon.

Your expectations of this lady are insane...she isn't telepathic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

If you got 70cl for 10 euro

Then 1 litre would equal about 13 euro

By the sale price, 2 litres should be 26 euro

You paid 30 euro, so you’re out 4 euro

Not a big deal, bring back with receipt if it bothers you

Shops technically have right to charge anything at the till (‘Invitation to Treat’), but you were not scammed

He says he was charged 30 euro per bottle so he's out by 34 euro

Another general rule to note for the future is that, unless they are specifically on sale, 1L bottles are nearly always dearer on a price to volume ratio than 700ml bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Raging the checkout lady didn't say it to me. Why would I, a young lad be buying 2 bottles of baileys at 3pm in the day. She should have a bit of cop on. It would have been polite at least. I know I would say it if I worked there.

Haha, wow. I'm so glad this kind of staff interrogation isn't standard practice!

He says he was charged 30 euro per bottle so he's out by 34 euro

He sure did, edited it

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

So you went to the shop to buy 2 bottles of baileys but you're raging that the checkout person didn't question why you were buying 2 bottles of baileys.

Just go in and explain your mistake, they will sort you out. But don't blame others for your own mistake

elefant wrote: »
    Haha, wow. I'm so glad this kind of staff interrogation isn't standard practice!

I often hear about customer service staff having to deal with some amount of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The shop shouldn't take them back especially reading the op

Tylenol murders etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Glurrl

Baileys was 10 euro for a 70cl for a couple days in Super Valu. I went today, not knowing when the deal was over. I saw 10 euro sticker infront of the baileys, grabbed 2 bottles. I had some other shopping too and then checked out, paid and drove home.
    I looked at the receipt and was charged 30 euro for each bottle. I didn't realise at the time about the charge, I wanted to get out of there ASAP, it was so busy. Turns out I grabbed two One Litre bottles. But they were behind the sticker and there were no others, even beside it.
    I have the bottles still here with the receipt. I called them today but no answer at all. I will return in the morning to return them.
    Do I have a right to the 10 euro price because they never removed the bright yellow sticker?

The size of the bottles you grabbed weren't even in the deal. Why would the till lady have any reason to doubt you wanted to buy 2 bottles of baileys at 3pm, as long as you are over 18...? You turned up at her till with then, cash and ID

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Just drink the two bottles and chill out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Centra and SuperValu will often send leaflets to your door with special offers, for example

Comfort Fabric Softner 55 wash for €3.49

You arrive to SuperValu/centra and there’ll be a whole shelf of them with special offer yellow label price of €3.49 and advertising signs at the sides. You go up and it scans at €6.25. You question why it costs €6.25 when it said €3.49 in the leaflet and they’ll point out that it’s the eerily similar 50 wash bottle and the bottles for €3.49 never came in. It’s called bait and switch. That’s my experience in every Centra and SuperValu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Centra and SuperValu will often send leaflets to your door with special offers, for example

Comfort Fabric Softner 55 wash for €3.49

You arrive to SuperValu/centra and there’ll be a whole shelf of them with special offer yellow label price of €3.49 and advertising signs at the sides. You go up and it scans at €6.25. You question why it costs €6.25 when it said €3.49 in the leaflet and they’ll point out that it’s the eerily similar 50 wash bottle and the bottles for €3.49 never came in. It’s called bait and switch. That’s my experience in every Centra and SuperValu

More like bait and scam. To those questioning me about my presumption of the cashiers thoughts on my shopping. Are you telling me she has no idea about the super popular deal of 10 euro Baileys happening right NOW? Therefore, a nice local cash lady, who is good with her customers will bring it up or say something like. "Great deal, isn't it". Instead she was pretty unfriendly like the rest of them. Not my fault staff moral is so low in that shop.

You are massively over assuming what checkout staff know / need to know about offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

More like bait and scam. To those questioning me about my presumption of the cashiers thoughts on my shopping. Are you telling me she has no idea about the super popular deal of 10 euro Baileys happening right NOW? Therefore, a nice local cash lady, who is good with her customers will bring it up or say something like. "Great deal, isn't it". Instead she was pretty unfriendly like the rest of them. Not my fault staff moral is so low in that shop.

Try taking responsibility for your mistake and stop moaning. The onus is on you to check what you're buying and check the cost against what you think it is at checkout. If staff interrogated everyone buying alcohol there'd be complaints all over the place. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It's actually funny how you're taking no responsibility and blaming the checkout lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Glurrl wrote: »
    The size of the bottles you grabbed weren't even in the deal. Why would the till lady have any reason to doubt you wanted to buy 2 bottles of baileys at 3pm, as long as you are over 18...? You turned up at her till with then, cash and ID

It's called human interaction, courtesy, politeness... Brain cells...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

It's called human interaction, courtesy, politeness... Brain cells...

pot...kettle...

You made numerous errors here and are blaming everyone else!

• Advertisement

I think this thread ran its course after one reply and the recent posts by the OP are going nowhere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement