Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for Banking Advice please.

• 23-11-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey, so I'm currently with AIB, and have been since I was ~16yrs old.

I recently rang AIB to inquire about a loan, and was basically denied instantly because my account apparently had 50+ failed direct debits from PayPal.

This was pretty worrying, but I found out through contacting PayPal that I had an existing PSN Plus membership active, that was charging my account €8.99 for years, I haven't owned a PlayStation console since maybe 2012 or so.

I don't really care about the lost money, but I'm worries these 50+ failed direct debit charges on my AIB bank account will give me issues in the long run because of a stupid re-occuring charge I forgot about when I was a teen.

Does anyone know if changing banks, let's say to Permanent TSB, Bank of Ireland, etc. will allow me to start fresh? I really don't want to be denied a mortgage in a few years time because of a PSN sub.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

njkmbkjb wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm currently with AIB, and have been since I was ~16yrs old.

I recently rang AIB to inquire about a loan, and was basically denied instantly because my account apparently had 50+ failed direct debits from PayPal.

This was pretty worrying, but I found out through contacting PayPal that I had an existing PSN Plus membership active, that was charging my account €8.99 for years, I haven't owned a PlayStation console since maybe 2012 or so.

I don't really care about the lost money, but I'm worries these 50+ failed direct debit charges on my AIB bank account will give me issues in the long run because of a stupid re-occuring charge I forgot about when I was a teen.

Does anyone know if changing banks, let's say to Permanent TSB, Bank of Ireland, etc. will allow me to start fresh? I really don't want to be denied a mortgage in a few years time because of a PSN sub.

Thanks.
    As far as I know, this shouldn't be an issue, you can always request a credit record but this records any missed loan payments, which the above is not, you could try another bank now for a loan but would probably need six months bank statements and hopefully the missed payments are not on these, otherwise wait a few months until your account is clean. Nothing stopping you from opening an account in any other bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You’ll struggle to get a loan anywhere if you’re younger than 18.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

njkmbkjb wrote: »

How could you miss 50??? I'd image any loans officer would have serious concerns about a giving someone a loan under those circumstances....

I really don't want to be denied a mortgage in a few years time because of a PSN sub.

I don't think it should be an issue for a mortgage, but pay more attention to your financial affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ScottL

Smee_Again wrote: »
    You’ll struggle to get a loan anywhere if you’re younger than 18.

Maybe read OP's opening sentence again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

ScottL wrote: »
    Maybe read OP's opening sentence again!

Good man, I completely misread that.

@OP- changing banks and running a well managed account will wipe the slate clean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement