Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Access with Protection order

• 16-11-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I need advise on how access is affected when there is a protection order in place. Last month I was given an interim protection order against my ex husband. He is refusing to collect our children from their home for access, because of what it says in the order about him being prohibited from "watching or be setting the place where the applicant and dependent persons reside". He is expecting to instead meet him elsewhere with the children when he has access. He states he will not be collecting the children from their home because of the protection order.
    My question is, does a protection order prevent him from collecting the children from their home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Unless protection order is amended to allow access, yes.

if its that acrimonious perhaps meeting at a neutral ground is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

One person I know has a 5y safety order against their ex, with some similar wording, and an access order governing access to kids. The order requires the kids' access to be supervised by one of two named people, with an agreed allowance during collection and return of the kids (due to space constraints in car). But they don't pull up at the house, rather just down the street and the kids go out. They don't approach the house. And that works ok because it's in an urban setting. If something similar won't work, then somewhere like outside a Garda station where there is CCTV might be suitable.

EDIT: Given that you're already in the situation whereby you need a protection order, and presumably will proceed to applying for a safety order, you will probably be very familiar with the power games that abusive people often play. So forcing you out of the safety and security of your home for his convenience and to cause you discomfort and inconvenience may well be just that, rather than some abiding respect for the word of the protection order. After all, if they respected what was right, nobody would need a protection order.

Presuming you are a woman, maybe a call to Women's Aid might be valuable to you. They can't give you legal opinion but can be helpful in understanding what usually happens in such situations.

If you are lucky enough to have a solicitor, maybe consult them too. Failing that, Citizens Advice often have legal clinics where you can get advice.

If you have any fear about your collective safety, then that is the priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

As someone with previous experience in this area no it does not affect the access order. If the access order states collection from your residence then that is where it happens unless the access order was varied by the court. Watching or besetting would come into it if he had no reason to be there, whereas when taking access he does. If it was a full on barring order then that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

It depends on the wording of the protection order. Did the po include "SAVE & EXIT" regarding access?

Advertisement