Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon.co.uk - early black Friday deals on now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

drogon. wrote: »
    I have both, but the kasa one I have doesn’t have energy monitoring. You can get kasa ones with it on, but not tapo if I recall.

I think both have identical features otherwise - can set timer, timed turn off or on, away mode etc. But Kasa is way too bulky than tapo and the tapo has an option to turn off the led light indicator at night, which isn’t available on my kasa. Small feature but I like it, especially when placing in the bedroom.

What are people doing with these smart plugs? I'm struggling to come up with a single useful application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭djdunny

DM1983 wrote: »
    What are people doing with these smart plugs? I'm struggling to come up with a single useful application?

Christmas tree lights, electric air freshener, electric blanket, TV+Sky box+Apple TV+PS4

djdunny wrote: »
    Christmas tree lights, electric air freshener, electric blanket, TV+Sky box+Apple TV+PS4

Thanks, Xmas tree lights is a good one alright! Just put your TV on standby? Uses arse all electricity. Most other appliances have timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I love my gadgets too, but confused on these. So you can remote switch on a light (but wifi bulbs readily available and cheap now), or as one ad showed, a kettle :rolleyes:.

Disclaimer - I have one. In a cupboard as I can't yet figure out what to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Good deal on the Anker Soundcore with 20% voucher until tomorrow. These are great. Bought another just to have.

Anker SoundCore 24-Hour Playtime Bluetooth Speaker with 10W

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016MO90GW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eXBNFb30BE2DD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

I can switch on my espresso machine with a google assistant voice command without getting out of bed. Worth every penny on a Saturday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I can switch on my espresso machine with a google assistant voice command without getting out of bed. Worth every penny on a Saturday morning :D

I have my espresso machine come on in the morning with an old school timer plug yolk. Also goes off at a set time. Cost about a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Now that's a useful purpose for the plug:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Many people use the plug sockets to schedule lamps to come on when they are away

I use them for the lighting in my aquarium.

If you are WFH they are also useful to turn on and off Monitors before and after work so not to leave them on standby wasting electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Christmas lights for us and then lamps during the rest of the year.

I got one for my folks, who use it for their boiler. Normally they would have to go out to their shed to turn it on or off, but can now use the app or set schedules. They love it.

• Advertisement

Now that's a useful purpose for the plug:)
    but it’s not when you can time it to come on for a fraction the price

Benzino wrote: »
    Christmas lights for us and then lamps during the rest of the year.

I got one for my folks, who use it for their boiler. Normally they would have to go out to their shed to turn it on or off, but can now use the app or set schedules. They love it.

Same with Christmas lights. What’s wrong with an old school timer?? Honestly I’m confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Same with Christmas lights. What’s wrong with an old school timer?? Honestly I’m confused.

Nothing is wrong with them, these are just better. Not sure why there is confusion to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

We have our electric blanket set up with a wifi plug through Alexa so it can be turned on if we're out (chance would be a fine thing these days), or from downstairs so the bed is warm before we get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Only use mine for two reasons.

1. Winter months = use it to switch on an electric blanket. (yes, I'm an 80 year old woman!)
    2. Summer months = use it to switch on electric fan to cool down room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I use mine for a electric heater I have in the office, switch it on from phone when I wake up(from bed), office is toastie when I sit down to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭drogon.

- I hate having my phone being plugged in to the charge over night, so I have a timer that comes on at 5am, and turns off at 7am. Fully charged phone and smart watch in the morning !

- Have Christmas lights on timer to turn on and off.

- Can turn on the lamp in the living room and bedrooms, if we are away from the house using the App via mobile internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

In the past, I used my smart plug to schedule a weekly reboot for my flaky router - this kept my IP cameras running when I was away from home for extended periods of time. I must confess I haven't bothered with it in recent times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hall way lamp, switches on and off in the morning downstairs and same for lamp in lounge.

Have another for Christmas tree at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Good deal on the Anker Soundcore with 20% voucher until tomorrow. These are great. Bought another just to have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016MO90GW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eXBNFb30BE2DD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Soundcore 2 is about a fiver more after discount and it's a good upgrade. Both great speakers for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Every time there's one of these threads there's 100 posts from people saying they don't think they need smart plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Sitting downstairs "Alexa turn on electric blanket". Sitting in car "Alexa turn on electric blanket". I have one on my Chromecast as it won't power from TV and I don't want to have to plug it in every time it use it. Christmas lights and hall light also on them, more control than just a timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is it not water from night before though? Maybe I'm too ocd on fresh water!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,939 ✭✭✭✭event

but it’s not when you can time it to come on for a fraction the price

What about when you want it to come on at a different time? Timers are great until you forget to set it or one morning want it earlier or later.

I use mine for the work set up. Come down in the morning and say 'Alexa, wake up". Light comes on, power to work set up comes on and alexa reads out the news and sport headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I use mine for lamps. In particular when I am out or away for an extended period. You can set random times for on and off for different days in different rooms etc...it makes it much harder for potential burglars to know if there is someone home or not. A lamp coming on in the hall or somewhere at the same time every day will be quickly noticed when houses are being cased.

Also use for Christmas trees lights and great when used with Google home.

All water is from the day before if you think about it :D

Crazy bought this exact model back in 2016 for 20gbp and even with 20% it is more expensive now. I won't buy this for listening to music however, it is good for voice. But the battery last forever, I would say 24 hours is an understatement.

drogon. wrote: »
    - I hate having my phone being plugged in to the charge over night, so I have a timer that comes on at 5am, and turns off at 7am. Fully charged phone and smart watch in the morning !

- Have Christmas lights on timer to turn on and off.

- Can turn on the lamp in the living room and bedrooms, if we are away from the house using the App via mobile internet.

All on timers though so again, what do these do?

I'm the same as the other chap, can't see the use

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You'd hate me. I get 2 days from my water reservoir :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for replying lads. Xmas tree lights is a great application. The rest, no. Might well get one for December. It'll go into the attic with the lights at the start of January.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement