Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 floor house which router?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

irishguy wrote: »
    I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 (120Mb) and have a house over 3 floors (Built in 2000, so no think walls). The hub is on the ground floor and I get quite patchy wifi on the top floor, sometimes its fine other times non-existant.

I was looking at the below options, not sure which would be better;
    The Nighthawk looks quite large and ugly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-AC3200-Router/dp/B00TDV2IS4/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=wifi%2Brouter&qid=1602677248&sr=8-6&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eero-mesh-wi-fi-router-extender/dp/B07WHMJ6XN/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1PXOKCBX1ZHY1&dchild=1&keywords=mesh%2Brouter&qid=1602677718&s=computers&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=mesh%2B%2Ccomputers%2C170&sr=1-5&th=1

I also have Virgin but house with 3 floors and thick walls. I did a panic buy in Curry's as I was have having huge issues. Bought a Deco 4 , 3 units , one plugged straight in to router and other two just plug in to socket where needed plus they have ethernet ports. Worked 10 mins later and decent app. Not saying it's the best as I overpaid and had to pick the only item available under pressure but it works well so far. I'd be aiming for a mesh system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NandALei

Hi,
    I had the same issue and bought that Nighthawk router.
    Connection up to the attic was still poor. I eventually got a cable ran from the Virgin media hub, externally and up into the attic. Then bought a much cheaper router.
    That has worked out great for me.

I did try those plug in extenders but also found them slightly unreliable. I used the TP link ones.
    Regards,
    N

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have this one which allows the base stations to connect via one of (Wifi/PowerLine/Ethernet).

You could have a unit on each level in the house, the ideal option is to connect them via ethernal for optimal performance, but I am allowing them to connect via the built in powerline connection. Obviously one unit needs to be beside your Virgin router and you would need to disable the wifi in the virgin routre.

I gather (but have no done this yet) if you want to connect them via ethernet, it's a daisy chain type setup, rather than connecting them all back to a master unit.

Advertisement