Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

JCormac wrote: »
    For Citizenship I am right in thinking that "purely internal situation" refers to a situation where the EU Citizen has never left their own country, to travel to another EU country, even for like a holiday, never? And therefore they haven't exercised their 'right of free movement'?That's what it's reading as but it sounds outlandish.No I think you’re right - just remember case of Eind, you don’t need to leave to bring in a TCN family member It's probably simple but my head is absolutely melted from Judicial review
    EU Citizenship

Have a few questions if anyone's feeling generous!

1. Do "vocational students" (people who have retained their worker status and so are able to get maintenance grants as in Lair v Universitat Hannover, Brown v Sec of State for Scotland etc) have to have been working in the country right up until they start studying? As in if I work as an accountant from May to June in Spain and then start an accountancy course in October am I entitled to get a grant for it?

2. When they say that students aren't entitled to "maintenance grants" without permanent residence (Bidar; Forster) does that apply to grants/loans to cover the fees or just grants/loans to cover living expenses?

Not sure if helps but I have for Lair: need some link to study with work in order to get grant, but will still get enrolment costs. Will be allowed if becomes involuntary employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Best of luck everyone! Remember to be calm, deep breathing and let's show Brussels what we've got :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Would anu kind soul have any EU law notes to share? Picked this subject up a few days ago after a bad exam, most likely my last shot this round to get the magic three :(

Send me your email

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Well that was a sh!t show - mind went blank and I definitely limited myself with my topics. Ah well, they’re over at least!

Well done everybody, the slog is over, enjoy your well deserved free time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

The feeling of writing your last word is euphoric! Well done everyone on seeing the exams through and best of luck with the results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Pretty devastated after that exam.My last one but I'm pretty sure I'll be sitting it again in March.I know everyone is anxious to forget about them but before you go bobbing for apples in a basin of Gin would anyone have any Eu notes/Sample answers or other materials they could send on to me please??? Thank you and we'll done EVERYONE for surviving another gruelling round.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

Pretty devastated after that exam.My last one but I'm pretty sure I'll be sitting it again in March.I know everyone is anxious to forget about them but before you go bobbing for apples in a basin of Gin would anyone have any Eu notes/Sample answers or other materials they could send on to me please??? Thank you and we'll done EVERYONE for surviving another gruelling round.

PM me your email and I can send on notes that I have - didn't do any practice questions though so I am no help with sample answers

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Most tiring exam to date exhausted sitting it I struggled the whole way through. Anyone find the room unbearably warm I couldn't breath. Apart from that, was this down to sheer exhaustion or did anyone have reread the problem questions ten times over to grasp them. I spent far too much time reading the damn QUESTIONS.They were so many facts it left me really pushed for time then under time pressure started to panic write.

Any previous passers of Eu law passing (beyond their belief) comments are most welcome. 1 reasonable question and the remaining four well just under average or worse =/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

I had a car crash of an exam.Kept reading the paper over and over again in the hope something would jump out.
    3 below average answers and 2 that can only be described as the ranting of an insane man.l need a miracle to get that.
    Most tiring exam to date exhausted sitting it I struggled the whole way through. Anyone find the room unbearably warm I couldn't breath. Apart from that, was this down to sheer exhaustion or did anyone have reread the problem questions ten times over to grasp them. I spent far too much time reading the damn QUESTIONS.They were so many facts it left me really pushed for time then under time pressure started to panic write.

Any previous passers of Eu law passing (beyond their belief) comments are most welcome. 1 reasonable question and the remaining four well just under average or worse =/

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

I failed it for sure. Not even worth debating for me. Was going to go home for some sleep but hung on in. I'll fail better next time. If I did worse than 3 exams out of 5 I'll be so pissed off. Anyway, I just pray pray the others are kind to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 PuffleHuffLyra

It was absolutely roasting, I was melting into my own paper. Dreadful.

I was also fairly unhappy with it, but it was mostly my own fault for cutting topics. I didn't even answer the (what I assume) DE question as I skimmed over it & assumed freedom of capital (which I didn't cover) within seconds in a nervous panic. Only walking to the Luas did I realise that it was probably in fact DE. I can't even bare looking at the paper now to confirm.

Anyway, to the pub.

Probably sounds a bit hypocritical but it had an 85% pass rate. Now I know this paper was a lot harder but unlikely to drop below 70. Most people have been working flat out for a while and would have found that tough going. Then you have the people like me who just couldnt have passed so try and enjoy the 6 weeks. Saying that I'm pretty misreable :-) Just need sleep.

Yes I think it was mainly DE/MSL? Christ at this stage honestly. The freedoms I didn't cover goods bit still attempted the question. It is tough having eu law as the last exam extremely fatigued. I was forgetting ridiculous things. Id like to dream in my head that for attempting five il pass on effort alone ����

Yes I think it was mainly DE/MSL? Christ at this stage honestly. The freedoms I didn't cover goods bit still attempted the question. It is tough having eu law as the last exam extremely fatigued. I was forgetting ridiculous things. Id like to dream in my head that for attempting five il pass on effort alone ����

Do that, life is better that way. Might just start telling people it went great myself :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PuffleHuffLyra

Same. I wrote 5 ****e essays, but at least that's 5 essays. Fingers crossed he throws some pity marks at my ravings.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Yeah, that was a total loss. Literally the only exam I've ever left early I'd say.

Mind went completely blank.

Will definitely be picking up that exam again in March. Ah well sure

Daly29 wrote: »
    I failed it for sure. Not even worth debating for me. Was going to go home for some sleep but hung on in. I'll fail better next time. If I did worse than 3 exams out of 5 I'll be so pissed off. Anyway, I just pray pray the others are kind to me.

What did you answer ? Did you attempt many?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

So how do you know if you pass, its my first time sitting so i've no idea. alot on here say they feel they passed but thats just from past sittings I presume? I felt I did at least 4.5 questions well in the 3, I did property, equity and contract. I felt like I answered the question and gave at least 6 cases in each answer.

I did the griffith course and its staring the beginning of Nov for next round but I wont get results until end of Nov so I dont know what to do? start with the next lot or wait and see? I dont want to miss a whole month

Also I want to do just two next and then leave three until next October. SO I am looking to do the two largest topics, any suggestions? I would have said Equity was an awful to cover, really couldnt leave anything out. Property was definitely the easiet, guaranteed 3 topics to come up and they did.

Any advice welcomed. I know we are all so sick of them and this thread will be non existent next week!

CMUL wrote: »
    So how do you know if you pass, its my first time sitting so i've no idea. alot on here say they feel they passed but thats just from past sittings I presume? I felt I did at least 4.5 questions well in the 3, I did property, equity and contract. I felt like I answered the question and gave at least 6 cases in each answer.

I did the griffith course and its staring the beginning of Nov for next round but I wont get results until end of Nov so I dont know what to do? start with the next lot or wait and see? I dont want to miss a whole month

Also I want to do just two next and then leave three until next October. SO I am looking to do the two largest topics, any suggestions? I would have said Equity was an awful to cover, really couldnt leave anything out. Property was definitely the easiet, guaranteed 3 topics to come up and they did.

Any advice welcomed. I know we are all so sick of them and this thread will be non existent next week!

I don't know what you have left, Constitutional is big, take that if you are looking for a big one. 4.5 good questions sound like a pass to me.

What did you answer ? Did you attempt many?

Didn't have the info. I was exhausted. Had 4 this week plus Constitutional Friday, didnt have my notes right for this. Not even going to depress myself by exmining what I did do.

• Advertisement

JCormac wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a total loss. Literally the only exam I've ever left early I'd say.

Mind went completely blank.

Will definitely be picking up that exam again in March. Ah well sure

Pass rate will take a hit on that. Seemed significantly tougher to me than previous papers.

I have the other 5 left. I hated company in college so was thinking of doing that but if its easy enough to predict maybe I'll leave it. Its EU very big/difficult?

I have the other 5 left. I hated company in college so was thinking of doing that but if its easy enough to predict maybe I'll leave it. Its EU very big/difficult?

Sorry, missed that. EU and Constitution are the biggest out the 5, for sure. People generally split them up, if you are looking to take on two big ones they are the two biggest.

Didn't have the info. I was exhausted. Had 4 this week plus Constitutional Friday, didnt have my notes right for this. Not even going to depress myself by exmining what I did do.

That's really tough you are making it twice as difficult not have days in between. Hopefully you get three, if you don't you have the experience the next time but choose wisely according to the timetable o your not at a loss.

Tort and constitutional are massive plus very unpredictable. I would be getting them out of the way. Yes EU is not for everyone but there is always the few reliable topics you know will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ahona

FYI I created a Law Firm Milkrounds 2019 thread if anyone is interested.

I wont be applying this year anymore but since I created the thread, I thought I should let you folks know!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111224667

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wallace123

Tort and constitutional are massive plus very unpredictable. I would be getting them out of the way. Yes EU is not for everyone but there is always the few reliable topics you know will come up.

Any thoughts on which of the grind schools is best for constitutional and equity? 😊

Mod
    Sorry, pls do not discuss the various schools, tutors etc here

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Pass rate will take a hit on that. Seemed significantly tougher to me than previous papers.

The fact that FMWs didn't come up as a problem question along with Judicial Review coming up as a problem threw a lot of people off I'd say, or maybe that's just me :P

Rough paper regardless, fair dues to the people who took it in their stride

I did Griffith College for equity I found the lecturer excellant, he knew what he was talking about, not like some of the others who just read the manual out to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Hey guys,

Hope everyone survived FE1 season. Hope exams went well. If not I am sorry to hear, just know there is no shame in resisting as that is the nature of these exams unfortunately as they are ruthlessly tough.

Anyone interested in forming a study group in Cork let me know. Or it would be great if people in other parts of the country wanted to do the same,

It would be a great idea if people were interested. I find going over topics with other people better for grasping and learning. Also moral support.

I am thinking of doing Constitution, Equity and Company if anyone is interested. ;)

Well done to everyone who sat the exams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement