Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Comments

• What are people's thoughts on Shopify?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

What are people's thoughts on Shopify?

P/E of 641.26 compared to the Internet Services industry's P/E of 32.20

The companies total revenue for 2018 was just 1.073 billion with a total market cap of 46 billion.

The stock is clearly way too overvalued I’d stay well away...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

If you followed the Bank of Ireland thread you'd know I got locked in for most of last year thanks to Brexit.
    I'm finally in profit now that Boris is in with a big majority. I expected €5 on the result and it has delivered. I'm expecting it to test €6 some point in the next 12 months.
    I'd like to diverge but cant justify some of the huge valuations a lot of the S&P stocks have. Especially the Tech stocks like AMD hitting a 20 year high! Many of these Techies are getting analysts saying BUY at the stocks all time highs. Yet you can be sure they are selling themselves.
    If anything I'm thinking it might be time to start offloading to cash the closer the S&P gets to 3500

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Parom

I just stated investing last year April, currently watching miners: FCX (copper play), VEDL, AG, GOLD, CDE.
    Will continue to add more to XOM, RDS.B and ET.
    Waiting on MPW to drop a bit in price and also want to add more GEO, but i have full position already.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

1.png

greedy lot :pac::pac::pac: set your stops alot of money on the table.

https://money.cnn.com/data/fear-and-greed/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Happy New Year to all the Share Tippers.

Quick question, I am being asked by Degiro for my pps number ... I wonder what they are planning on doing with that ? and will they require proof that it is indeed my actual pps number ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Happy New Year to all the Share Tippers.

Quick question, I am being asked by Degiro for my pps number ... I wonder what they are planning on doing with that ? and will they require proof that it is indeed my actual pps number ?

PPS No
    Passport/Drivers licence
    Proof of address

All pretty standard stuff for account set up. The pps no. can be used for tax purposes. IE to give you an end of year report or if Revenue request information from them which they are obliged to give them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

PPS No
    Passport/Drivers licence
    Proof of address

All pretty standard stuff for account set up. The pps no. can be used for tax purposes. IE to give you an end of year report or if Revenue request information from them which they are obliged to give them

Its not a new account setup. (I have been using Account for about a year now). They have just asked for PPS number this week and want it by the end of Jan. Anybody else being asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

You're probably being investigated by the Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Its not a new account setup. (I have been using Account for about a year now). They have just asked for PPS number this week and want it by the end of Jan. Anybody else being asked?

I was asked for mine. I opened my account in 2016 and was asked for my tax stuff in Jan 2017. They probably just have regulatory stuff to update in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Umaro wrote: »
    You're probably being investigated by the Revenue.

And you have absolutely no idea....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is not unusual for banks and brokers to do a recheck every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I'm a newbie when it comes to shares but I am looking at Beyond Meat, Smartsheet and Appfolio for longterm.

I'm a newbie when it comes to shares but I am looking at Beyond Meat, Smartsheet and Appfolio for longterm.

Beyond meat is a fad, you would be better off shorting the stock. the stock is grossly overvalued you can tell this by a quick comparison to the actual meat processing companies and looking at the PE ratio which is 195. I just don't see how it can realistically grow into these earnings. The two other stocks you mentioned sound like fads too I've never heard of them a word of advice ignore all the hype you hear surrounding stocks especially tech/software specially from street (Wall Street) they're always looking for a sucker to make a quick buck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I'd agree with JMM. BYND - 4.65b mkt cap on sales of 90m.

It appears to be a very replicable product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I had appfolio 2+ years ago, when it was ~$30ish, Sold out before makimg any money on it.
    Think its a solid stock but overvaluedand would notbbe surprised to see it dip this year. If it get <90 id have a look again

• Registered Users Posts: 14 maca007755

I'm expecting a recession. First Majestic Silver

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

Newbie investor 6 months ago and boy have i learned!! Education never comes for free, sometimes you have to pay the man for it unfortunately!

Invested in an agtech company based in Oz but operating in USA with company announcements all very positive and had expanded in to growing a major trial hemp farm. Shady management now it seems held back serious operational info with the trail farm a total bust and dodgy insider trading out. Now in a suspended trading status.

For 2020 will be saving monthly and making a play on Wellard (shipping) in the short term and keeping an eye on Falcon Oil and Gas as stages moving positively on their big play in Australia after 2 year delay due to fracking ban.

Anyone else looking at Falcon as a long term play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

bradygaz wrote: »
    Newbie investor 6 months ago and boy have i learned!! Education never comes for free, sometimes you have to pay the man for it unfortunately!

Invested in an agtech company based in Oz but operating in USA with company announcements all very positive and had expanded in to growing a major trial hemp farm. Shady management now it seems held back serious operational info with the trail farm a total bust and dodgy insider trading out. Now in a suspended trading status.

For 2020 will be saving monthly and making a play on Wellard (shipping) in the short term and keeping an eye on Falcon Oil and Gas as stages moving positively on their big play in Australia after 2 year delay due to fracking ban.

Anyone else looking at Falcon as a long term play?

These are quite high risk plays, essentially you're looking at more gambling like strategies investing in these types of companies but that's fine if you can accept the risk. Remember to only invest what you can afford.

I don't really understand why you would want to invest in an Australian Oil and Gas company with the current worldwide push for greener energy as well as the ongoing issues in Australia itself which will prompt the government to introduce stricter greener measures. Unless you really think the market has oversold and profits are still there for it.

My advice for investing in Australia is future rare minerals and electric car related materials such as cobalt and vanadium.

bradygaz wrote: »

I can only echo Kilboor's post and question whether you really have learned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Kilboor wrote: »
    These are quite high risk plays, essentially you're looking at more gambling like strategies investing in these types of companies but that's fine if you can accept the risk. Remember to only invest what you can afford.

I don't really understand why you would want to invest in an Australian Oil and Gas company with the current worldwide push for greener energy as well as the ongoing issues in Australia itself which will prompt the government to introduce stricter greener measures. Unless you really think the market has oversold and profits are still there for it.

My advice for investing in Australia is future rare minerals and electric car related materials such as cobalt and vanadium.

Bradygaz you received good advice there from Kiboor...... You could probably include other not soo rare, but very useful metals like Copper, Tungsten and Lithium too. But DYOR. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My investment advice in regards to Australia is to save yourself a fortune and invest literally anywhere else, they have a scumbag management culture thats addicted to share dilution for funding. Massive gains to be had if you back the right horse then get out but its pure gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭crushproof

Echo all the above. Alot of people here have been burned from investing in Aussie stocks. Just look the mess created by the management of Tawana and the shareholders screwed over by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

maca007755 wrote: »
    I'm expecting a recession. First Majestic Silver

They’ve gone up a lot though. I’m expecting gold to continue with its bull market with the junior explorers best placed to benefit.

My picks are

Skeena resources
    Nevada exploration
    Gatling resources

They’ve all popped in recent days so maybe wait for a pull back.

pearcider wrote: »
    They’ve gone up a lot though. I’m expecting gold to continue with its bull market with the junior explorers best placed to benefit.

My picks are

Skeena resources
    Nevada exploration
    Gatling resources

They’ve all popped in recent days so maybe wait for a pull back.

Been looking into junior minors myself recently, it seems if you can find the right company they can turn into a 5-10 bagger fairly quickly. I haven't made any investments yet myself still doing my research and analysis.

With $32 billion of M&A activity done last year in the sector and now with a lot of the larger deposits being acquired I believe their will be far more buying of juniors this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

crushproof wrote: »
    Echo all the above. Alot of people here have been burned from investing in Aussie stocks. Just look the mess created by the management of Tawana and the shareholders screwed over by them.
    Everything turns to sh1t on the ASX eventually, even if the company is turning a profit they'll start diluting just so they can stick another zero on the end of their paycheques and gift another 50 million shares to the board members, remember Range Resources and Red Emperor and a million others going back years?

Then again their gold miners could have made you rich last decade, 1000% returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭howiya

Would tend to agree with comments made about shares on the ASX.

Have shares in three companies over there. Two are very much bottom drawer stocks ie punts.

The other has been a success for me but even that company has dumped on shareholders occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

Apologies all, I never meant for my post to kick off so many posts off Share Picks 2020 topic and solely related to ASX.

Just to clear up on my post, Falcon Oil and Gas are Irish and are listed on London stock exchange. Were on Dublin too until late 2019. Management is Irish. Accept as is exploration it is high risk. The Oz stock is an in and out 2020 play.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Verastem, verastem, verastem!

All is forgotten after today :D

+43% in a day, what happened, some very good news?

I took my full losses last month to offset other profits so I stayed within the CGT threshold over 2019. I immediately bought back in (and far more than I originally owned)

Now one week into 2020 and I'm already over it for the year :eek:

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Verastem, verastem, verastem!

All is forgotten after today :D

+43% in a day, what happened, some very good news?

I took my full losses last month to offset other profits so I stayed within the CGT threshold over 2019. I immediately bought back in (and far more than I originally owned)

Now one week into 2020 and I'm already over it for the year :eek:

Good move, I'm still in but averaged down considerably with my lowest entry at $1.20...within sight now of breaking even and I think I'll do that at the very least.

Today they announced a licensing agreement to use someone else's drug.
    I haven't read the details but I'm guessing it looks good in combination with some of theirs.

Advertisement