Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 AO Competition announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ravelleman wrote: »
    That's not the case.

Well that's good news for the poster who made the initial enquiry so. As I said, I wasn't aware that the PAS recruit AOs for AGS through through public competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There are very few AO's in AGS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Cossie44 wrote: »
    AGS are not looking for AO unless in highly specific areas such as crime analysis, they will also be focusing their CS recruitment for CO/EO/HEO and a few AP in line with their redeployment commitment.

That's actually not the case either. The crime analyst roles are pitched at EO and HEO level.

Undoubtedly though, AO is the least common grade in AGS but there are a few more to go there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sbibii121

Thanks for the insight.. Im in AGS as EO, doing performance accountability and the job requires some analysis, its an interesting role. In the future I would be interested in policy and research, and thought applying for AO might be a way, instead of waiting for two years before entering an HEO competition. Anyway we shall see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sbibii121 wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight.. Im in AGS as EO, doing performance accountability and the job requires some analysis, its an interesting role. In the future I would be interested in policy and research, and thought applying for AO might be a way, instead of waiting for two years before entering an HEO competition. Anyway we shall see.

Just to point out- its entirely normal for an EO to have staff responsibilities and be involved in analysis and research- either independently or as part of a team. Its far more likely now for role inflation such as this- than it was scarcely 15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Larkinage

Hi folks.

The requirements for the general stream states you need a "first or second class primary honours degree".

I have a level 8 degree, however, I only achieved a 2.2. Does anyone know if this would suffice or are they looking for a 1.1 or a 2.1 minimum?

Thanks for the help

2.2 *is* a second class honours degree.
    Level 8 is a different matter.
    They said second class honours Level 8 min- you have the prescribed qualification, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Larkinage wrote: »
    Hi folks.

The requirements for the general stream states you need a "first or second class primary honours degree".

I have a level 8 degree, however, I only achieved a 2.2. Does anyone know if this would suffice or are they looking for a 1.1 or a 2.1 minimum?

Thanks for the help

2.2 is still 2nd class hons ..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jw_sweetman

Has anyone read the familiarisation material for the aptitude tests yet? They seem like a major departure from the ones that they've been using for the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Not done one of these before but I'll give it a bash anyway. Any tips?

• Advertisement

Has anyone read the familiarisation material for the aptitude tests yet? They seem like a major departure from the ones that they've been using for the past few years.

Deductive logical thinking is a new one. Ive done the other ones before. I wonder if you have to do them in one sitting.

Deductive logical thinking is a new one. Ive done the other ones before. I wonder if you have to do them in one sitting.

You don't- you can take them separately.
    However, I expect Stage 2 to be an invigilated resit of stage 1- where you'll have to sit them all together- so its a more real world approach to it, if you do them all in the one sitting.

The patterns and shapes in information, most probably actual shapes etc- is something they used to use in the distant past (I did my first EO exam back in 1998- and it featured the Deductive-Logical Thinking stage (at that time)).

Any idea on how its marked- the standard is the numerical is a pass only exam- the actual score is a composite of the other parts of the overall test. They haven't marked numerical other than as a pass/fail- at any stage in the last 20 odd years. Also- the perenial question which never gets answered- is whether there is negative marking (or not). You get told to avoid 'wild guessing' but without any signpost as to whether this means its negatively marked and there are consequences- or not.........

Good luck everyone- it sounds like we're going to have an interesting weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

You don't- you can take them separately.
    However, I expect Stage 2 to be an invigilated resit of stage 1- where you'll have to sit them all together- so its a more real world approach to it, if you do them all in the one sitting.

The patterns and shapes in information, most probably actual shapes etc- is something they used to use in the distant past (I did my first EO exam back in 1998- and it featured the Deductive-Logical Thinking stage (at that time)).

Any idea on how its marked- the standard is the numerical is a pass only exam- the actual score is a composite of the other parts of the overall test. They haven't marked numerical other than as a pass/fail- at any stage in the last 20 odd years. Also- the perenial question which never gets answered- is whether there is negative marking (or not). You get told to avoid 'wild guessing' but without any signpost as to whether this means its negatively marked and there are consequences- or not.........

Good luck everyone- it sounds like we're going to have an interesting weekend.

There's no negative marking. If there is, this would be a departure on previous years and would need to be stated. For this reason, I advise all candidates to complete the assessments in full. If you only have 1minute left and 4 questions, guess the answers to the 3 and try do the last using reason but don't leave any unanswered.

Note that I have come across versions of the test where there is a set amount of time per question. Should they use this method, you will be given 2-3mins per question. You should never proceed to the next question before the time elapses. Use the time to recheck your answer or grab a sip of water.

As a former AO and AP, I'm available(in Cork) to provide interview training to anyone who makes it through the psychometric exams. Just drop me a pm.

whampiri wrote: »
    As a former AO and AP, I'm available(in Cork) to provide interview training to anyone who makes it through the psychometric exams. Just drop me a pm.

That's remarkably kind of you- I'd strongly encourage anyone in the Cork area to take up the offer- the interview and presentation are the two areas that candidates can really try to hone their skills- the rest of the process is more about innate abilities.

Mighty decent of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kavo89

Does anybody know the starting salary scale for this position? Does previous experience or degrees play a role in starting salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

kavo89 wrote: »
    Does anybody know the starting salary scale for this position? Does previous experience or degrees play a role in starting salary?

Civil Service Pay Scales. And no, experience/education does not effect salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Tests issued - good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SeanOS92

Was anyone able to access the Situational Jusgement Practice info?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

SeanOS92 wrote: »
    Was anyone able to access the Situational Jusgement Practice info?

far as i can see it's just the last 2 pages of this pdf:
    https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/19206106_Situational_Judgement_Test_Example.pdf

Out of a matter of interest I threw in an application for this myself. It was out of curiosity and to see what the tests were like more than anything else. Just a heads up - the user interface is absolutely shocking, especially for the tests that have tabs. I have windows 8, and the browser window didn't actually fit into the screen properly if that makes sense? I had to do a bit of scrolling up and down. May have been an issue with my PC, but I really don't think so.

If you'll recall from the sample questions provided by Cut E, there were six tabs, and a number of questions based on the content of these 6 tabs. This was the format of the questions here. However, when you selected one of the six tabs to read the content, it came up as a pop-up, rather than the way it was in the practice tests. Because of this, you couldn't refer to the question as you read the relevant tab. I had to constantly flick between the question being asked and the relevant tabs (pop ups), which was quite cumbersome, as you need to be able to refer to the questions, as you read the relevant tab. When I needed to refer to the question, I had to exit out of the tab, read the question, then re-open the tab. Also, switching between the tabs was quite tedious as, again, you had to X out of whatever tab you were in and open the tab/pop-up you wanted to refer to next.

Also, take your time with the deductive reasoning. There were actually an unlimited number of questions here, which would suggest an element of negative marking. So I think quality is more important than quantity in this respect.

As regards the contents of the questions etc, I obviously can't discuss due to competition rules etc., but I think the comments I have made regarding the poor user interface provided by Cut E are fair. I don't understand why they provided one user interface in the familiarisation material, and replaced it with a vastly inferior interface for the actual tests.

Mods, delete if you think this is inappropriate, but I have avoided discussing the actual content of the test materials themselves, as I certainly wouldn't want to be in breach of the charter or competition rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Rothmans wrote: »
    the browser window didn't actually fit into the screen properly if that makes sense? I had to do a bit of scrolling up and down.

Yep that was annoying to see

Advice for anyone else would be to zoom out on your browser to see it all

Other than that I found it straight forward enough and managed to get all done in time, it was a bit annoying have to click in and click out but I don't know how else you could change the interface to change this than add yet more scrolling

I'm probably not what they're looking for when I complete in 9 mins what they say will take 45 mins

I've done a few of these tests before, surprised they actually showed you which answer was right in the logical reasoning one, was deflating to see a wee red flash when I'd get one wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jw_sweetman

They were almost identical to the Revenue AO tests I did last year. Back then I completed the job simulation with around 35 mins left and got called for interview so i wouldn't worry about finishing it really early.

Other than that I found it straight forward enough and managed to get all done in time, it was a bit annoying have to click in and click out but I don't know how else you could change the interface to change this than add yet more scrolling

In in the practice materials, the information tabs didn't actually obstruct the questions when you clicked them like how the pop ups did.

Im unable to download the familariation tests on my mac. Its a word doc and it wont open at all. Ive probably missed office hours to get then to send it too me via pdf. Any suggestions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Im unable to download the familariation tests on my mac. Its a word doc and it wont open at all. Ive probably missed office hours to get then to send it too me via pdf. Any suggestions anyone?
    LibreOffice Vanilla, free, open source word processor that works good on a Mac!

Its funny that it was a word document.

elWizard wrote: »
    LibreOffice Vanilla, free, open source word processor that works good on a Mac!
    Thanks I use them, although it doesnt give an option to save as another format. Going to see what i can do on my phone/tablet.

Thanks I use them, although it doesnt give an option to save as another format. Going to see what i can do on my phone/tablet.

Here's a PDF of the familiarisation material.

You're a superstar thank you! I also managed to save on google docs on my phone. Pdf is easier though.

Here's a PDF of the familiarisation material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Rothmans wrote: »

Also, take your time with the deductive reasoning. There were actually an unlimited number of questions here, which would suggest an element of negative marking. So I think quality is more important than quantity in this respect.
    The correct answer turns green, the wrong answer is red but you can't change.

Advertisement