Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long before your local.

• 26-11-2020 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    If I’m from dublin and I buy a site in rural Sligo (for example) I know if I went for pp I’d be turned down as I’m not from the area.
    However if I buy the land and do nothing with it for, let’s say, a year, would I have a better chance of getting pp to build a house, due to the fact I’ve owned a local site for a year?
    In other words is there a way of building a house in an area that your not from, but want to move to the area, but don’t want to buy a house- you want to build your own instead?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    If I’m from dublin and I buy a site in rural Sligo (for example) I know if I went for pp I’d be turned down as I’m not from the area.
    However if I buy the land and do nothing with it for, let’s say, a year, would I have a better chance of getting pp to build a house, due to the fact I’ve owned a local site for a year?
    In other words is there a way of building a house in an area that your not from, but want to move to the area, but don’t want to buy a house- you want to build your own instead?
    Thanks.

Local needs usually means history, family, business in the area, attachments to the area... Owning land isn't enough and a year certainly isn't enough. You'd be better off looking for a derelict property you can raze and build anew.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

Planning isn't all about where you are from Tom, there are many considerations. If an area is designated as a rural area in need of rejuvenation, then its easier to get planning even if not from the area. Many local people from an area cannot get planning because particular areas are considered overdeveloped and planning policy may point towards development in existing villages and towns. But your question refers that if you owned the site or plot of land for a time, would you get planning easier. In my opinion, I dont really think so unless you can prove that its essential or necessary that you have to live there, for instance that its a working farm or there is some other particular need that requires you to live there.

Advertisement