Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Language exemptions for Secondary school Autistic boy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

todolist wrote: »
    l.I think my only option now to to pay a Psychologist to write a letter recommending he be exempt from Irish[/B].

Have done the psychologist assessment and are waiting on report but have been informed that it probably wont be enough for the principal to entertain our request. The principle is adamant that my son does not fulfil the new criteria for an exemption

Have you a link or number for one of these support groups ? Currently in a similar situation to the OP.

the people we spoke with have all said the same thing,that they are questioning the departments rational for the new criteria and the fact that if you don't fulfil this criteria you can't apply irrespective of diagnosis.

There is some discretion afforded to school principals and a number of principals we spoke with would be happy to support applications of any child with an ASD diagnosis unfortunately our sons principal isn't open to supporting my sons application.

Check the official criteria to see if your child qualifies for an exemption but I would start the process with the principal and gauge their level of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

the people we spoke with have all said the same thing,that they are questioning the departments rational for the new criteria and the fact that if you don't fulfil this criteria you can't apply irrespective of diagnosis.

There is some discretion afforded to school principals and a number of principals we spoke with would be happy to support applications of any child with an ASD diagnosis unfortunately our sons principal isn't open to supporting my sons application.

Check the official criteria to see if your child qualifies for an exemption but I would start the process with the principal and gauge their level of support.

A psychologists letter won't be entertained as it does not fall under the guidelines of the circular. We've exhausted every avenue with the Dept of Ed and the school. They just keep referring to the circular. Which to be honest not many kids are going to qualify for an exemption based on it.

On the advice of our local TD we've made contact with The Ombudsman for Children . They have asked us to send them all the relevant docs we have.

I suggest anyone else in the same boat does this too. The more noise that's made the bigger the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jesus I'm finding this stuff incredibly disturbing to read, I wish you folks the best with it

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Jesus I'm finding this stuff incredibly disturbing to read, I wish you folks the best with it

As a parent of 2 young boys with special needs you wouldn't believe the obstacles that are there
    while trying to bring them up to the best of your ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

As a parent of 2 young boys with special needs you wouldn't believe the obstacles that are there
    while trying to bring them up to the best of your ability.

im autistic myself, only recently diagnosed, im starting to realise how bad the supports are for such issues, i can relate to the stories here, its actually very upsetting

A psychologists letter won't be entertained as it does not fall under the guidelines of the circular. We've exhausted every avenue with the Dept of Ed and the school. They just keep referring to the circular. Which to be honest not many kids are going to qualify for an exemption based on it.

On the advice of our local TD we've made contact with The Ombudsman for Children . They have asked us to send them all the relevant docs we have.

I suggest anyone else in the same boat does this too. The more noise that's made the bigger the reaction.

Just following up on this. We decided to get an assessment done by an Educational Psychologist during the lockdown. She charged 400e for this.
    From this assessment we received a diagnosis of Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. The psych said that under no circumstances should our child have to do Irish.
    The diagnosises goes a long way to explaining some of the behaviours and outbursts we were seeing around schoolwork.

We sent in an updated application for the Irish Exemption into the school at the end of August. The school then verbally agreed to abstain from teaching
    Irish until the application was looked at and following on from this we got the full exemption in writing on Thursday.

Probably the best 400e I've ever spent tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Just following up on this. We decided to get an assessment done by an Educational Psychologist during the lockdown. She charged 400e for this.
    From this assessment we received a diagnosis of Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. The psych said that under no circumstances should our child have to do Irish.
    The diagnosises goes a long way to explaining some of the behaviours and outbursts we were seeing around schoolwork.

We sent in an updated application for the Irish Exemption into the school at the end of August. The school then verbally agreed to abstain from teaching
    Irish until the application was looked at and following on from this we got the full exemption in writing on Thursday.

Probably the best 400e I've ever spent tbh

Well done on really pursuing this... that's really positive news.

Just adding some closure to my original post. Whilst we were talking to our sons primary school principle we engaged an educational psychologist to do an assessment to support our request. Covid 19 lockdown 1 meant he finished primary school earlier than expected therefore no further opportunity to speak with the principle.

He started secondary school in September and we gave his educational report to the school and they had no issue granting him an exemption based on the information in the report. Short and sweet job done, no big discussion. To date the school has been extremely supportive of him.

Advertisement