Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Miscarriages

• 19-10-2020 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has had Success in fertility treatment after multiple Miscarriages after similar circumstances?

Myself and my husband have had early miscarriages all just under 6 weeks. Ny AMH is good, his SA is good in quantities but the motility was just slightly above whats ideal. We had our genetic bloods done in CUMH lately as we had 3 miscarriages and all those were good too. His DNA defrag is 15% also on his SA which is really good.

We have an appointment in Waterstones this Wednesday( the day I'm due to ovulate) and he must do another SA so we can't try naturally again this month. We have been trying Since January but only got hits since we started using ovulation kits but have lost 3.

the first we got 2 positives on an early test(3 days early) but the HCG fell away and the other 2 times we got a positive 7 days AFTER a due positive but again fell away after a few days so either it was taking twice as long for the HCG to double or it took twice as long to implant. Hopefully we will have some answers when we meet Mr Watersone on Wednesday.

Honestly we could probably plough on and end up having another miscarriage before we conceive naturally but i Just turned 37 so i dont want to leave it too late before it works and obviously id rather not waste money but i'm just afraid it will be too late otherwise.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yes, they started after I had my son but it didn't get resolved in my case before the clock ran out on us. We were on the public system for miscarriage investigations and it dragged on, they changed consultants during that time and a letter informing me of a crucial appointment where I would have been prescribed progestrone on the next pregnancy didn't get sent by them. I had to argue with them to get clomid, and pathology testing and even then, they only conceded on that because they screwed up my previous appointment. Their attitude seemed to be that because I could conceive, I just needed to keep trying until one stuck. But my mental health struggled a bit with the losses, especially towards the end, so I couldn't be that detached and pragmatic about it the way clinical staff were. At age 42 I called it a day and since I'd managed to have one baby worked on being grateful for that.

Like you, all our tests showed nothing untoward. But I've since come to realise that there's a lot about reproductive medicine that they've yet to find solutions for.

Subsequently, speaking to neighbours and friends from other European countries they were pretty shocked that there's not a more proactive approach and there's a few tests and treatments not provided in Ireland that are standard in mainland Europe, UK and the US.

If I had to do those years over I'd not waste my time with the Irish system, and just go to Gennet in Prague or Serum in Athens, get all the in-depth tests and preventative medications that they normally give women with recurrent MC abroad and that the HSE won't do here. The Irish private system might be better, but I never went private so I can't comment either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Neyite wrote: »
    Yes, they started after I had my son but it didn't get resolved in my case before the clock ran out on us. We were on the public system for miscarriage investigations and it dragged on, they changed consultants during that time and a letter informing me of a crucial appointment where I would have been prescribed progestrone on the next pregnancy didn't get sent by them. I had to argue with them to get clomid, and pathology testing and even then, they only conceded on that because they screwed up my previous appointment. Their attitude seemed to be that because I could conceive, I just needed to keep trying until one stuck. But my mental health struggled a bit with the losses, especially towards the end, so I couldn't be that detached and pragmatic about it the way clinical staff were. At age 42 I called it a day and since I'd managed to have one baby worked on being grateful for that.

Like you, all our tests showed nothing untoward. But I've since come to realise that there's a lot about reproductive medicine that they've yet to find solutions for.

Subsequently, speaking to neighbours and friends from other European countries they were pretty shocked that there's not a more proactive approach and there's a few tests and treatments not provided in Ireland that are standard in mainland Europe, UK and the US.

If I had to do those years over I'd not waste my time with the Irish system, and just go to Gennet in Prague or Serum in Athens, get all the in-depth tests and preventative medications that they normally give women with recurrent MC abroad and that the HSE won't do here. The Irish private system might be better, but I never went private so I can't comment either way.

A girl i know had it done in Prague and didn't save much. I guess we saved nearly 1000 euro by getting the bloods done through the HSE and the SA done in SIMS(Which i found very unprofessional) so if Waterstone says to do one round of IVF then as we already have everything he needs it will only be 5500. Now the girl i know had it done in Prague and spent 4000 including flights and accommodation. She was booked to go back for her second when she got pregnant naturally. I am really grateful that we have all the tests done and at least he will give us a definitive plan tomorrow. He could also just say go home and keep trying as there is as much chance of miscarriage.

Tho I'm sure the ICSI would be a good option for us if its a case its taking twice as long to implant and that's what's causing it to fall away so fast.

A good friend of mine, herself and her husband had to get a donor egg and sperm. I really couldn't do that.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Maybe see how this next appointment goes and what plan of action they propose. If you've got a doctor that seems to be efficient and ready to throw everything at it, then that's helpful because you get to decide how far you take any potential treatment.

Going abroad isn't really a money-saving option really. For standard IVF stuff, maybe but they do run much more thorough blood tests and other sorts of things.

The other option that you might want to look into is NAPRO. That wasn't an option for us as we weren't married but the methodology of it sounds interesting.

Well we met him today and he was a bit frustrated that everything came back good. All the genetic bloods were great, AMH was 15 and the second SA my husband done this morning was even better then the last one. so i have to go for a Laparoscopy at the start of my next cycle but he did tell me i was about to ovulate very soon. He also said he wouldn't be doing anything until early January so we have effectively 3 cycles to get pregnant naturally.

I actually saw 3 people i know up there. Amazing how common this is. He didn't even count the chemical as a miscarriage. Nice guy even tho i had heard mixed reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Worried2019

Hi, Have you had your day 21 bloods done? It so, what were your progesterone levels? The fact you are conceiving and everything else looks good it could be that your progesterone is too low to support a pregnancy. This is common but very easily supported with progesterone gel, suppositories or injections. This can be checked and prescribed by your GP

If your progesterone levels are fine then I would look in to immune issues and maybe get tests to them, I think it’s the ZIP test or Chicago bloods. Both seem to be pretty expensive.

• Advertisement

Progesterone was good. The doctor here in Tralee prescribed me progesterone but it just messed up my cycle. My levels are good but he told me yesterday to only take them when i get my next positive and not after ovulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Watergirl4

Hi

Sorry you are going through all of this. My history was 2 miscarriages at around the 5/6 week mark...then about a year of not getting pregnant....I was v overweight so lost some of that which drove my cycle mad and then went for acupuncture which helped conception and even though I had bleeds at 6. 7/5 and 10 weeks, pregnancy continued successfully. I was put on 75mg aspirin (up to week 12?)and progesterone suppositories which I stayed on for 20 weeks of pregnancy. ...stayed pregnant til term with healthy baby - discovered that a growth in cervix was responsible for early bleeding.

I then had 2 more m/c at 7 and 6 weeks between child 1 and 2.......at no scan was there ever a heartbeat in my 4 losses. Again, doc felt my weight was interfering with the hormones so I lost a few stone and he put me on glucophage for a few months and had a successful pregnancy. None of this may be relevant to you, but I would be a strong proponent of the cyclogest (progesterone once you get pregnant and glucophage if you may have PCOS/weight issue). I attended acupuncturist for this pregnancy too...mentally helped if nothing else

Wishing you luck

g

Thank you for all the replies. I had a HSG last month and i had a positive Test on day 10 DPO this month, the lines are getting stronger by the day at day 14 DPO today. I never had a positive less than 18 DPO before so i'm hoping this one will stay. :)

Congratulations! I've everything crossed for you that this goes well.

Thank you very much. I had a bit of a meltdown on Wednesday on day 15 DPO when the line was ever so slightly lighter than day 14 but my HCG was 199 on Wednesday. I had it done as I'm a nurse but I'm not looking at it or tests any more now until my scan. Fingers crossed it sticks :)

• Advertisement

6 Weeks on Tuesday and still sick as a dog. Nauseous most of the time and sore/tender boobs. Scan in CUMH on Friday so fingers crossed all is well. :)

Thank you to those who responded. 8 Plus 1 last Wednesday according to the scan in CUMH. I am meeting with my consultant this thursday.

Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

I hope the scan and meeting with the consultant went really well. Hopefully you are about 10 weeks and all is well. Look after yourself

I hope the scan and meeting with the consultant went really well. Hopefully you are about 10 weeks and all is well. Look after yourself

Thank you so much for the comment. I just passed the 29 week point. :D

Advertisement