Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-01-2020, 16:56   #1
b318isp

Replacing a winter outdoor jacket - latest technology?

I have a great old Craghopper jacket with a detachable fleece liner and waterproof outer. It's done a great job, but is getting shabby.

I've been looking around recently for a replacement, but two-piece jackets are not really available any more. Modern jackets seem a LOT lighter and thinner - so I don't have the confidence that they'll do the job of my old jacket.

I'm looking for a jacket that will be warm putdoors at freezing temperatures, with a wind chill factor. I could also be stationary for long periods - so I won't be generating much heat.

I've been looking at the Omni-heat technology (e.g. from Columbia). Such tech now seems quite common, and a reason for the lighter/thinner jackets. But.....I don't want to invest in a jacket which doesn't turn out to be inadequate.

Has anyone any experience of buying outdoor wear recently, or has any recommendations?
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 15:25   #2
SozBbz

Both my OH and my dad are big fans of the fleece wiht detachable rain jacket combo and have both bought them recently enough.

Have you checked
The North Face
Patagonia
Jack Wolfskin
Fjall Raven

You won't find them on the highstreet generally speaking but try shops like 53 Degrees North,Snow and Rock, or Cotwold Outdoors.
Thanks from:
15-01-2020, 16:08   #3
b318isp

Yeah, was in 53 Degrees North looking at the North Face, Patagonia and Columbia stuff.

I just wasn't confident enough in the performance of anything. While I don't mind spending a decent amount, I want to be sure it will be wisely spent!
15-01-2020, 16:17   #4
b318isp

I'm thinking of this currently:

https://www.columbiasportswear.ie/IE...8832_color=012
20-01-2020, 08:44   #5
MinnieMinx

https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-jackets

I like Rohan for outdoor wear for wet & cold climates. DH relied on his when he went walking in the Himalayas and he still uses it for dog walking twenty years later. The recent stuff is very good too. I have a waterproof/wind proof lightweight jacket which is properly waterproof. Nothing seeps through no matter how much sideways rain there is.

The other brand I’ve had and recommend is RAB.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion