Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are those identity privacy services for DNS secure?

• 22-12-2019 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭

Suppose I want to register a domain name but want to keep my details private/secure.

I know that DNS registrars seem to offer a "forwarding" service so that your details are not exposed publicly. My question is how secure are those?

Suppose I register a domain consisting of someone else's name for the laugh. Not to do anything dodgy with it but just to piss them off that it is taken. But I don't want them to know I did it. What would be the most secure way for me to do it? And I don't mean by giving fake details for myself (If I understand correctly, that would mean it could be seized back again).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Suppose I want to register a domain name but want to keep my details private/secure.

Most domain extensions have redacted public whois since GDPR. You can still get "whois privacy" or "proxy" services if you need but it's not as important as before
    I know that DNS registrars seem to offer a "forwarding" service so that your details are not exposed publicly.

I assume you mean email in the whois? See above.
    My question is how secure are those?
    That depends on who you are trying to hide your details from

If you mean the average web user / search engines etc., then yes they're all pretty secure.

Suppose I register a domain consisting of someone else's name for the laugh. Not to do anything dodgy with it but just to piss them off that it is taken. But I don't want them to know I did it. What would be the most secure way for me to do it? And I don't mean by giving fake details for myself (If I understand correctly, that would mean it could be seized back again).

The name of a person or an organisation / company?

Either way you do run the risk that you'd lose the domain name via a UDRP dispute and it's also possible that as part of that dispute that the real name of the registrant is exposed

if you provide fake details during domain registration the registrar can pull the domain name

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Thanks for that.

In relation to the information - I was under the impression that you have to give email/mailing address/phone number etc and these have to be real in the sense that they have to be able to contact you via them, or else the domain name can be taken back.

I assume the GDPR doesn't come into it for non-EU registrations. If you are a Australian and register a domain with a US registrar, I'd imagine that GDPR doesn't come into it. Unless maybe you are querying it from inside the EU.

It would just be a persons name - like www.patrickmurphy.com . Where Patrick Murphy isn't a famous person or doesn't really have any major internet presence. Maybe a facebook page or that kind of social media. Perhaps they would not care that someone was squatting on their name. Would it be worth it to me to register it and pay to renew it over and over again? Probably not. I'd just be doing it for the laugh. Maybe I'd register it for one year, say nothing, let it expire and then see if the pro squatters catch it in the name drop at the end of the year! Or maybe I'd wait a few months and then let the person know I owned it. I'm not sure. Is it a bit of a shitty thing to do? Yeah, it is, but I used to work in the same organisation as this person and they told blatant lies about me over something so I'll make an exception.

Advertisement