Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-01-2019, 17:23   #16
wonga77

I havent used divi as much, used it once or twice and didnt get into it.
I use bb a lot, its great as you can hand it over to clients who can make changes themselves without bothering you all the time. This entirely depends on your clientele though. BB free is limited enough, you need the paid version to get the most value. elementor free version is fairly good and has alot of options. Theres a tonne of addons for both too if you need extra features, of course if you can code a bit yourself then you may not need these extras but always nice to have the options if needed for a quick fix
Take a look at the generate press theme, it wont break the bank and has a load of really good features
Advertisement
22-01-2019, 17:31   #17
sticker

Many thanks everyone. I think Divi looks very attractive but the general feedback has me looking to the suggestions made here. I've a lot of coding knowledge with HTML5. It's just knowing what direction to take as I'm enerting WordPress for the first time.

Cheers again.
22-01-2019, 17:37   #18
sticker

One last point.. I've used theme forest HTML5 themes for the past 5 years. Would you all consider the premium WordPress Themes akin to Divi in terms of backend code issues? Im a bit of a soft touch to the elegant out of the box design frameworks...
22-01-2019, 17:51   #19
wonga77

Personally I would ya. Themeforest themes are fine if you want a straight out of the box site that require little changes. You have a fair bit of clutter in the background. One of the reasons that I like bb and elementor is firstly, that you can build unlimited sites for the fee and secondly if you ever have an issue you can head to their facebook page. Chances are you will get an answer there straightaway as they have massive communities.
Probably best just to try stuff out on a demo site first. You wont be long getting the hang of it
22-01-2019, 18:03   #20
Axwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker View Post
One last point.. I've used theme forest HTML5 themes for the past 5 years. Would you all consider the premium WordPress Themes akin to Divi in terms of backend code issues? Im a bit of a soft touch to the elegant out of the box design frameworks...
Yes - a lot of the themes use a modified version of Visual Composer and name it their own, such as Muffin Builder etc. At the end of the day they have the same issues across the board but the bigger problem is bloat from all the plugins etc they need which slows a site down dramatically and requires constant updating.

A lightweight theme like Astra or Generate Press along with Beaver Builder or Elementor will give you a move faster solution but you can still use drag and drop elements to create the site. The pro versions of the builders are better (more elements) but you can trial them to begin with and see what you prefer. For those you renew your license annually but you can use them on as many sites as you want - same with the themes, purchase them and pay annually for the updates but you can use them on as many sites as you want - as oppose to the Themeforest ones which are single license/single website.
Advertisement
22-01-2019, 18:06   #21
sticker

Thanks again all. Input and advise much appreciated
23-01-2019, 10:40   #22
daymobrew

I use StudioPress Genesis as my base theme. I find it fast and lean though, unlike Generate Press, most of the configuration is done in code via hooks and filters. I like this because it stops clients changing and breaking things.

I use CMB2 to add admin panels or custom fields.
23-01-2019, 10:49   #23
Kenny Logins

Quote:
Originally Posted by daymobrew View Post
I use StudioPress Genesis as my base theme. I find it fast and lean though, unlike Generate Press, most of the configuration is done in code via hooks and filters. I like this because it stops clients changing and breaking things.

I use CMB2 to add admin panels or custom fields.
GeneratePress (premium) also has hooks and header/layout elements. I've been using it with ACF but I've never used CMB2. Looks interesting. Cheers.
23-01-2019, 10:56   #24
wonga77

Likewise, I have never heard of CMB2.
I have the studiopress lifetime but rarely use it, I got into the routine of a different theme and out of habit stick to what im used to.
Do you custom code a genesis theme or use one of the demo sites? Some pretty nice designs in there to be fair, not so customer friendly though if you have someone that likes to poke around and edit themselves
Advertisement
24-01-2019, 10:12   #25
daymobrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Logins View Post
GeneratePress (premium) also has hooks and header/layout elements. I've been using it with ACF but I've never used CMB2. Looks interesting. Cheers.
I've downloaded GeneratePress and I'll give it a look.

CMB2 does not have a front end - you use get_post_meta() to get the data. This means that it doesn't slow your site down like ACF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonga77 View Post
Do you custom code a genesis theme or use one of the demo sites?
As I have StudioPress Lifetime, I generally start with one of their themes and customise it via a functional plugin so that I don't change the child theme.
24-01-2019, 10:26   #26
Kenny Logins

Good to know, thanks. I do find ACF very handy for options pages and repeater fields but must have a closer look at CMB2.
Thanks from:
08-06-2019, 01:39   #27
garyskeepers

has anyone used Envato elements? Lots of wordpress themes there.
08-06-2019, 05:09   #28
Axwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyskeepers View Post
has anyone used Envato elements? Lots of wordpress themes there.
Lots of bloated themes with shortcodes..see previous comments as to why thats not a great idea.
29-11-2019, 14:06   #29
elenaaustin87

Nothing wrong with Themeforest, go for it. As always make sure to take a look around, and get one from a highly ranked author, to insure a good template.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion