Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

markodaly wrote: »
    My point?

You are well able to play 'The Game' when it suits, yet when your ideology gets a god awful hammering, you run off the pitch and declare 'Well I wasn't really playing anyway'.

We are all adults here, not 5 year old.

My ideology?
    Didn't even watch that interview seen yer man before looked into him and realised he's a spoofer cashing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Quite a few similar clips online of her being schooled as a result of her not being armed with some basic facts. She seems to think that if the consensus of the time is with her she'll be grand.

She was also caught spoofing about being 'ushered out of a mosque' a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

20Cent wrote: »
    My ideology?
    Didn't even watch that interview seen yer man before looked into him and realised he's a spoofer cashing in.

When all else fails name call.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

My ideology?

i-didnt-watch-the-video-but-let-me-tell-you-what-i-think-of-the-title.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My ideology?

i'd say more people would bet on you being a spoofer than Peterson :p

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

My ideology?

I never heard of either of them before this thread. He came across as the opposite of a spoofer. You really seem to have it in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

silverharp wrote: »
    family photo, I think I know who wears the pants in that family, the comment about women wanting men they can dominate takes on a new meaning now :pac:

Yeah I thought she was unusually defensive on that point. Peterson points out that people have an interest in having competent, capable partners. While they can get a short term boost out of dominating a less competent and less capable partner, in the long term they are less happy, its bad for them and bad for their partners.

And she responds asking 'What gives you the right to say that? Maybe that's how women want their relationships?'

silverharp wrote: »
    i'd say more people would bet on you being a spoofer than Peterson :p

He has made loads of videos. He has his own youtube channel, website interviews etc. Made my mind up from watching them rather than this one video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

He has made loads of videos. He has his own youtube channel, website interviews etc. Made my mind up from watching them rather than this one video.

You're commenting on a thread about a specific video which you refuse to watch. Instead you choose to watch some of the 500 odd other Peterson videos?

Hmmm. Are you fibbing or (pathetically) trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You watched all of them?

Spoofing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Well then you are in a perfect position to watch the C4 video, debunk what Peterson says and prove he is a spoofer.

Have at it...

You're commenting on a thread about a specific video which you refuse to watch. Instead you choose to watch some of the 500 odd other Peterson videos?

Hmmm. Are you fibbing or (pathetically) trolling?

The reviews in this thread all say he wasn't allowed speak, was interrupted and misinterpreted. Why would one make a judgement on a person from such a video when there are loads more of them speaking his own mind without interpretation or interruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

She did him a massive favour by making him choose his words carefully by trying to put the wrong ones in his mouth. Newman has clearly not learned when to use the "just enough rope" technique and showed her hand at every opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

The reviews in this thread all say he wasn't allowed speak, was interrupted and misinterpreted. Why would one make a judgement on a person from such a video when there are loads more of them speaking his own mind without interpretation or interruption?

Oh my ! Do stop digging !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I watched the video, wouldn't be a fan of Peterson or his apparent ideology (only basing this on having watched a couple of videos after seeing this one, hadn't heard of him before and reading what his supporters post) but that really was a terrible interview, numerous attempts at ambushing him failed and she came across particularly poorly. He came across as a far more reasonable person than the interviewer.

By the by, I'm not sure Newman is particularly left wing her self.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What's your point?

This is like what Peterson does.lol
    The point is (lol) how can one hold an opinion on a video without watching said video?

I watched that one and went off and watched a few more and read a little on him. Found him pretty OK and I noticed quite often he comes across as a nice man at the core. Of course he's a product of his own background as are we all, so there is that socially, spiritually, conservative, pre modernist* streak to him that gets filtered and focused through his opinions. And yes I personally would consider psychology one of the "softer" sciences, in the sense that much of is wide open and much of it based on pretty shaky, often self reported data(though I consider something like sociology as soft as a nonagenarian in a knocking shop). So much of it is and can only be opinion.

His set of opinions are often compelling to me anyway, from my admittedly brief gaze at it. He seems to be a major Jung fan. I would be myself, so that could be part of it. I have a vague rule when it comes to philosophy and philosophers and thinkers in general; if I can dismiss it as navel gazing fruity ballsology and subsequent readings confirm this, then for me it is ballsology(Jung's "other", Freud would fall into this category, as would Derrida, even Descarte. He was a pioneer and a wide ranging giant of a mind, but..). If I first dismiss it as navel gazing fruity ballsology, but subsequent readings reveal more than I thought and more readings again have my brain hurting with the level of thought behind it that I struggle to process, then that's a different matter. Plato would defo fall into this category for me - the sheer horsepower of the Greek lad's mind remains staggering even today - and so would Jung.

Though to make a clumsy comparison to computers(though I do not believe we operate that way) all the psychology and sociology theories are akin to the fancy graphic user interface reporting and tweaking, neuroscience is looking at the chip design, but there lays a vast gulf between those two disciplines.

But I digress. It's me. I've had a long week. Anyway, yeah. I don't buy the the 1970's Blank Slate hippy dippy idea of the mind, or gender. It;s demonstrably ballsology of the highest order. As for the Canadian chap, I do like anyone who can play their own riff well, with clear and consistent notes and he can. IN this interview she couldn't. Though if I were to try similar it would be akin to a hyper stream of consciousness Robin Williams sans the funny style. On barbiturates. :D

*thank christ as post modernism is almost entirely full of sh1te wherever it points its gaze.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Powerful Jordan Peterson.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That would have been my take too funny enough. I would have pegged her as centre right myself? An intelligent and ambitious person who worked her way to her position. She didn't get to where she is by being wishy washy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

NICU nurses get 40k. That's shockingly low for what they do. They are generally both female and agreeable. Maybe shafting people for having agreeable personalities is a really bad thing to do.

He is right about the agreeableness thing with salaries, but it's sucky and dumb. My observation is that the agreeable types eventually just leave, and the employers are worse off as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I've enjoyed watching Peterson speak for a good while now. His ability to hold it together when faced with reems of nonsense is second to none.

When she pauses at 23 minutes in...

QONVIyz.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Primary school teachers (mostly women) average thirty thousand for a basically part time job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

NICU nurses get 40k. That's shickingly low for what they do. They are generally both female and agreeable. Maybe shafting people for having agreeable personalities is a really bad thing to do.

He is right about the agreeableness thing with salaries, but it's sucky and dumb. My observation is that the agreeable types eventually just leave, and the employers are worse off as a result.

I saw the interview at the time it was aired and felt rather disappointed in Newman - that certainly wasn't anywhere near her usual standards.

However, his replies showed clearly that he had inspected the subject and settled on the first answer that pleased him and complied with his pre-conceived ideas of the world.
    Yes, there certainly is a difference between men and women in the jobs they choose, and in their levels of "agreeableness". Someone seriously interested in the subject would ask "Why? Where does that come from?", whereas he's perfectly happy to just stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Newman is a pretty competent interviewer and I'm a big fan of Channel 4 News in general as they tend to allocate their time wisely in going beyond the generic relay of the important stories and very often throw up very interesting interviews.

Her mistake here was the complete loss of impartiality, a key quality for any interviewer. She went in with an agenda and as the answers didn't stack up to her agenda she dug in deeper and buried herself further. Peterson's calm logic batted away her increasing hysterics and she couldn't adjust.

Hadn't heard anything about Peterson before this interview but I liked the ideas he put forward. Just ordered his latest book as a result.

I've been watching him for a while now too..
    Yeah, he's intelligent, but he has his biases too.
    He can come across as arrogant, and quite condescending.. (who here has heard of George Orwell??..I mean seriously..who hasn't heard of George Orwell)..
    He's introduced me to jung, so I'm thankful for that..
    But there is kind of an air of "Cometh the hour.." off him..
    It will be interesting to see if he does embark on a political crusade and become a tool of the right..

His self authoring thing is probably worth doing too..(I'll get around to it at some point..)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

Shenshen wrote: »
    I saw the interview at the time it was aired and felt rather disappointed in Newman - that certainly wasn't anywhere near her usual standards.

However, his replies showed clearly that he had inspected the subject and settled on the first answer that pleased him and complied with his pre-conceived ideas of the world.
    Yes, there certainly is a difference between men and women in the jobs they choose, and in their levels of "agreeableness". Someone seriously interested in the subject would ask "Why? Where does that come from?", whereas he's perfectly happy to just stop there.

I think that’s probably a little unfair to Peterson. Generally, in an interview that wasn’t so confrontational, the interviewer would be expected to tease a lot of those channels out and give him the opportunity to expand the topic. That it didn’t happen here was very much down to the way Newman interviewed, with a very aggressive style- put simply she didn’t do her job here, treating this more like a poor attempt to discredit her subject. I’m not sure if that’s down to what she was instructed to do or her own biases. Given she’s apparently quite open about beIng biased in favour of women I’d imagine there’s at least a little bit of instinctive dislike at Peterson’s message. Peterson on the other hand has come out of this looking rather gracious, even to the extent of calling for any abuse on Twitter to stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I watched the video, wouldn't be a fan of Peterson or his apparent ideology (only basing this on having watched a couple of videos after seeing this one, hadn't heard of him before and reading what his supporters post) but that really was a terrible interview, numerous attempts at ambushing him failed and she came across particularly poorly. He came across as a far more reasonable person than the interviewer.

I've just started it. He's not the most confident of speakers and I'd be very wary of anyone adored by the American right, Steve Bannon's sock puppet being a prime example.

However, I am disappointed that Newman doesn't appear to have even the most tenuous grasp of courtesy and manners. Is she a journalist? Not by this video.

I am enjoying Peterson's careful use of language. It's gone under her radar so many times now that I'm struggling to see how she is getting paid for this. There are also a few nice memes emerging.

674.jpg

73a.jpg

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Aidric wrote: »
    Hadn't heard anything about Peterson before this interview but I liked the ideas he put forward. Just ordered his latest book as a result.

ditto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Hey lobster, how you feeling today?
    um..yeah, much better Dave thanks for asking. *sighs*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

"You saying that we should organise our societies in the same way as Lobsters?"

Yeah....

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

A very petulant interviewing style
    21Savage wrote: »
    She got schooled. Schooled badly. Hard to watch.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The interview went badly for her for a few reasons. She's obviously intelligent, but he's more intelligent and speaking on a subject he is an expert in, whereas she has to quickly swot up on the subject of whomever she's interviewing next.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Schooled by philosophical Kermit the frog
    She was completely destroyed on all facets of her arguments and counter arguments although I am sure she thinks she "won" the debate.
    Her AR5E handed to her on a plate

I still think she's lovely. Such a sweet smile too.

Advertisement