Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-01-2020, 11:48   #1
aisling 999

gdpr breach at work

Hi all, long story but I ended up in mediation with a work colleague. She produced a copy of an old contract that I had years ago, that I had no idea she had or should have had. Have spoken to manager about this, but is there any thing else I should be doing.

Thanks

Advertisement
23-01-2020, 13:03   #2
Diceicle

She had a copy of your old contract? Is that right?
23-01-2020, 16:29   #3
Lux23

Your employer should be reporting that within the next 72 hours!
23-01-2020, 16:45   #4
Jim2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisling 999 View Post
Hi all, long story but I ended up in mediation with a work colleague. She produced a copy of an old contract that I had years ago, that I had no idea she had or should have had. Have spoken to manager about this, but is there any thing else I should be doing.

Thanks
We don't even know if it was a in fact a breach... it was a company document, she is an employee and while you may not think that she should have access that does not mean that the company has broken the law in any way.

What is your objective? You have made a complaint to management, was the outcome acceptable or not?

If you make a complaint to the data commissioner, it will kick of an unwelcome inquiry with your employer...

if you loose the complaint, who will you feel about it and what will your future relationship with your employer looking like?

if you win, your employer gets a rap on the knuckles, may be pays a fine and then what, how do you see your relationship with your employer then?
Thanks from:
23-01-2020, 16:53   #5
Fritzbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisling 999 View Post

Thanks
I don't know Irish law too well, but in Germany that would be considered a breach of confidentiality. Unless, of course, your colleague worked in the HR dept. and had legal access to your file? otherwise I'd imagine you have grounds for complaint.
Advertisement
23-01-2020, 19:10   #6
Ohmeha

There is absolutely no justifiable reason for any colleague of yours to be in possession of on old contract of yours, all employment contract records should only be stored by your HR department

I would suggest if you have a Union run the series of events by them and seek best advice. If you're not in a union and have already spoken to your manager await response from your manager but if you feel their response is not satisfactory you will ultimately have to decide if you feel it's required for pursuing an escalation to your HR department
23-01-2020, 19:55   #7
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmeha View Post
There is absolutely no justifiable reason for any colleague of yours to be in possession of on old contract of yours, all employment contract records should only be stored by your HR department

I would suggest if you have a Union run the series of events by them and seek best advice. If you're not in a union and have already spoken to your manager await response from your manager but if you feel their response is not satisfactory you will ultimately have to decide if you feel it's required for pursuing an escalation to your HR department
It depends on whether it was the op’s signed contract, or the same contract as the op signed. A lot of companies have standard contracts at particular times, these contracts get updated as time goes on.

Op, are you saying he/she produced a copy of your personal signed contract, or a contract the same as the one you signed?
23-01-2020, 21:21   #8
_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
We don't even know if it was a in fact a breach... it was a company document, she is an employee and while you may not think that she should have access that does not mean that the company has broken the law in any way.

What is your objective? You have made a complaint to management, was the outcome acceptable or not?

If you make a complaint to the data commissioner, it will kick of an unwelcome inquiry with your employer...

if you loose the complaint, who will you feel about it and what will your future relationship with your employer looking like?

if you win, your employer gets a rap on the knuckles, may be pays a fine and then what, how do you see your relationship with your employer then?
Employees having access to documents about other employees when there is no business need is indeed a gdpr breach.
23-01-2020, 21:22   #9
Prominent_Dawg

Am I the only one wondering what the colleagues reason for having it was?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-01-2020, 21:31   #10
angel eyes 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prominent_Dawg View Post
We need more information regarding the actual information on the contract. The OP stated "She produced a copy of an old contract that I had years ago, that I had". That could mean any old contract with a supplier, which wouldn't necessarily pertain to the processing of personal data and therefore Data Protection compliance would not arise. Too easy to make assumptions in this scenario when we don't know the context.

Also, not all data breaches need to be reported to the Data Protection Commission.
24-01-2020, 00:25   #11
Jim2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
Employees having access to documents about other employees when there is no business need is indeed a gdpr breach.
And as I pointed out in my original post, we don't know the context nor even if it is a breach of the law.
(2) thanks from:
24-01-2020, 21:26   #12
Esse85

If the employee logs a complaint with the data protection, they will tell the employee to issue in writing a query to the employer as to why that happened rather than going investigating it straight away.
If the employer doesn't respond within 30 days then the data protection steps in.
Thanks from:
24-01-2020, 22:46   #13
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prominent_Dawg View Post
If I’m a manager in that company I’m certainly wondering what that employee is doing with it, also how they came to be in possession of it. Anywhere I’ve worked documents of a legal and sensitive nature were under lock and key.
24-01-2020, 23:31   #14
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
And as I pointed out in my original post, we don't know the context nor even if it is a breach of the law.
If the employee came into possession of it without authorization it’s a breach, theft. If the employer enabled the employee and authorized him to take it without a legitimate business reason it’s a breach of GDPR.
25-01-2020, 10:32   #15
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms View Post
If the employee came into possession of it without authorization it’s a breach, theft. If the employer enabled the employee and authorized him to take it without a legitimate business reason it’s a breach of GDPR.
That depends on where they got the contract from ( the other party to the contract may have handed it over), and whether it not it actually contains personally identifying data ( it may be generic).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion