Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heating coming on at random times, when timer is off

• 24-01-2020 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

I've a weird one.

Oil central heating comes on at random times, even though the clock is set to OFF. I've went through and turned any set times to off, but still randomly coming on.

I'm not complaining that the house is warm, but if it's burning oil when I'm not there, then it's a bit daft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

If your house is zoned then its more than likely that one of the zone valves is faulty as its this (these) that give the run signal to the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

John.G wrote: »
    If your house is zoned then its more than likely that one of the zone valves is faulty as its this (these) that give the run signal to the boiler.

But doesn't the clock/programmer need to send a live signal to the zone valve first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

wiz569 wrote: »
    But doesn't the clock/programmer need to send a live signal to the zone valve first?

It does but the actuator head often doesn't close the valve when it developes a fault and it's end switch is still made which gives the run signal to the boiler. It's a fairly common fault and sometimes the zone with the faulty actuator will continue to heat. You will generally feel a good spring resistance when manually opening a de enerized zone valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Frost stat if it's an outdoor boiler.

Advertisement