Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-01-2020, 14:17   #1426
Naggdefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
No real change in the bigger picture regarding temperatures right over the next two weeks it would seem:
It's an awfully bland winter. Now I am enjoying wearing a jumper, and t-shirt at times, outdoors this week. No rain, no wind, no frost, and no fog where I am mostly. Very nice to go out and not get soaked or have a brolly blown apart.

But there's another side of me finds it very boring. We usually have some FI eye candy to look at with regards to cold and snow. Not a hint this year bar a little bit of a heights rise over Scandi yesterday, which looked like sinking and turning into a euro trash high anyway, it's gone today.

The Sunday-Tuesday westerly will bring snow to the higher ground in the west and north, probably, further south might and might not get something, again limited to higher ground really. Anything at lower level will melt quickly enough.

I'm usually a weather enthusiast but I'm finding it harder and harder to get any bit excited about wintry weather for 2020 pre March. An SSW is hardly discussed lately.. Maybe it's best to go away from the charts for a week. Even doing that the problem is the models have predicted mild weather in FI all winter, and been right. So when you look at the same setup in FI 10-16 days out on each GFS run, you don't feel it will change radically.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 14:41   #1427
Graces7

No wind? No rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggdefy View Post
It's an awfully bland winter. Now I am enjoying wearing a jumper, and t-shirt at times, outdoors this week. No rain, no wind, no frost, and no fog where I am mostly. Very nice to go out and not get soaked or have a brolly blown apart.

But there's another side of me finds it very boring. We usually have some FI eye candy to look at with regards to cold and snow. Not a hint this year bar a little bit of a heights rise over Scandi yesterday, which looked like sinking and turning into a euro trash high anyway, it's gone today.

The Sunday-Tuesday westerly will bring snow to the higher ground in the west and north, probably, further south might and might not get something, again limited to higher ground really. Anything at lower level will melt quickly enough.

I'm usually a weather enthusiast but I'm finding it harder and harder to get any bit excited about wintry weather for 2020 pre March. An SSW is hardly discussed lately.. Maybe it's best to go away from the charts for a week. Even doing that the problem is the models have predicted mild weather in FI all winter, and been right. So when you look at the same setup in FI 10-16 days out on each GFS run, you don't feel it will change radically.
24-01-2020, 14:48   #1428
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Quote:

Unfortunately that sums up this winter entirely. If we ran a roller coaster we would have gone out of business this winter. Last winter was similar but at least there was eye candy to keep our hopes alive.

As you say this winter there is nothing, not even one consistent FI eye candy run. The models are either pointing at mild westerlies or winds up from the Canaries most of the time. What makes the situation even more alarming is the rest of Europe is joining us with this bland and uneventful winter. Places that should be knee deep in snow and sub zero temperatures have a winter similar to ours this year.

Long range looks poor too with mild continuing right through February and on into March. The only good thing about the models is they are hinting at a dryer pattern over the next few months, compared to the deluges of late summer, autumn and the start of winter. We're into the final 4 to 5 weeks of Winter, the clock is ticking and no signs of anything properly cold or wintry in the charts. I don't see much changing between now and March, all we can do is hope that luck finds it's way to us, and that one morning we awake to see at least FI getting on board with something seasonal.
(3) thanks from:
24-01-2020, 14:53   #1429
Naggdefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
No wind? No rain?
No wind, no rain this week for me.
24-01-2020, 14:57   #1430
Graces7

Nor here, and sheer bliss! lol!

Quote:
No wind, no rain this week for me.
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 18:05   #1431
Donegal Storm

Quote:

Could it be argued that the NWP models getting better are the main cause of that? 95% of the time when the models show cold weather it doesn't come to fruition so maybe they're finally learning..?

As for the weather here, dark and damp with persistent drizzle for the past couple of days, all very boring
(3) thanks from:
24-01-2020, 18:17   #1432
Graces7

Some wind sounds drifting in from the darkness now. Gentle enough...the last few days have been just that; gentle and quiet. Sad to hear it ending. but it has rested us greatly. A breathing space. A respite
Thanks from:
24-01-2020, 20:05   #1433
Dickie10

would u think there is growth already yet? beginng to think i might start with fertiliser
24-01-2020, 21:39   #1434
nthclare

The hawthorns are already showing the emergence of leaves in parts of East Clare
Still hibernating in North Clare
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 22:28   #1435
Cork Boy 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Unfortunately that sums up this winter entirely. If we ran a roller coaster we would have gone out of business this winter. Last winter was similar but at least there was eye candy to keep our hopes alive.

As you say this winter there is nothing, not even one consistent FI eye candy run. The models are either pointing at mild westerlies or winds up from the Canaries most of the time. What makes the situation even more alarming is the rest of Europe is joining us with this bland and uneventful winter. Places that should be knee deep in snow and sub zero temperatures have a winter similar to ours this year.

Long range looks poor too with mild continuing right through February and on into March. The only good thing about the models is they are hinting at a dryer pattern over the next few months, compared to the deluges of late summer, autumn and the start of winter. We're into the final 4 to 5 weeks of Winter, the clock is ticking and no signs of anything properly cold or wintry in the charts. I don't see much changing between now and March, all we can do is hope that luck finds it's way to us, and that one morning we awake to see at least FI getting on board with something seasonal.
I would think it`s much more likely that the very high late Feb 2019 temperatures that many parts of the country experienced will come under threat of being exceeded in Feb 2020 rather than any cold conditions then.
24-01-2020, 22:41   #1436
Logan Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Boy 53 View Post
I would think it`s much more likely that the very high late Feb 2019 temperatures that many parts of the country experienced will come under threat of being exceeded in Feb 2020 rather than any cold conditions then.
Show your workings?
24-01-2020, 22:45   #1437
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Boy 53 View Post
There is a chance of very mild temperatures in the first week of February with a fetch of winds up from the Azores/Canarys which could bring 14 or 15C if conditions were right. It would take something special to beat the temperatures we had last February. I still remember sitting outside in a t-shirt with gin blue skies end of February, as if it was July.
Thanks from:
25-01-2020, 05:26   #1438
Graces7

Still have marigolds in flower here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthclare View Post
The hawthorns are already showing the emergence of leaves in parts of East Clare
Still hibernating in North Clare
25-01-2020, 05:31   #1439
Graces7

The wind woke in the night, flexed his brawny arms and started exercising his fearsome lungs..

He has brought a bitter cold with him. Far cry from yesterday's benign hours.

Today's task is getting and keeping warm .

But we had a respite …
Thanks from:
25-01-2020, 06:49   #1440
harr

I see your man from the Irish weather channel issuing his own weather warnings again for snow Monday and Tuesday in kildare and Laois . He makes himself or at least the local papers do to sound official. I don’t know how many times this lad has got things wrong and people still believe every word out of his mouth.
My own elderly mother has hospital appointments early next week and now because she has seen it in the local paper she thinks it’s an official warning.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion