Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment heating options

• 13-01-2020 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi we are in the process of renovating a one bed apartment.
    Kitchen living area 18x20 all one space.
    Bathroom/ hallway 18x10 Bedroom 18x12.
    It has to be electric heating of some sort. We do have a night meter.
    This apartment will be well insulated and walls dry lined. What are the best electric options is it storage heating or is there a more modern option.
    The shower will be electric and the water in the kitchen will be heated by an under sink unit. So everything will be electric so we want to try and keep running costs down. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I am not sure. Perhaps convector heaters in bedroom and living area. (these can have timers built in to utilize night rate electricity).
    Hall - perhaps a small storage heater (again night rate)

Bathroom - not sure - possibly an other storage heater (I think special ones are required for bathrooms)

These are just my thoughts - others may be able to give better suggestions

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am not a fan of storage heaters. I find that they get too hot during the night (when not required) and they release the heat in an uncontrollable manner during the day (when they are required). They are then stone cold in the evening when they are most needed. I also find that they produce a fat dryer heat which is not as nice. This is just my opinion, I know others will disagree.

If this were my apartment I would consider the oil filled radiator type of electric heaters. These produce a similar heat and feel to “normal” radiators. I would wire these heaters through smart controllers allowing me to set timers and schedules and see the various temperatures via an app on my smartphone. I might consider a different type of heater for the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Another option is an air-to-air heat pump. There is a thread about this somewhere on the Plumbing and Heating forum.

This requires an outdoor unit so you’d need to have somewhere to put it and you’d need to drill a hole through the wall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Another option is an air-to-air heat pump. There is a thread about this somewhere on the Plumbing and Heating forum.

This requires an outdoor unit so you’d need to have somewhere to put it and you’d need to drill a hole through the wall.

Yes, I was thinking about this too.

However it may be difficult to install in an apartment. Also I have found management committees in apartment blocks very difficult to deal with when it comes to the installation of anything on the outside of the building.

None the less it is an option worth exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I think, on reflection, the Moderator suggestions are better than mine.

More controllable and minimal installation cost.
    Hope that it works out ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

+1 for an air to air heat pump - assuming the management company allows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Not all heat pumps require an outside unit, working in a house today where the pump is in a combined unit with the cylinder and the air is ducted in.

kramer1 wrote: »
    Not all heat pumps require an outside unit, working in a house today where the pump is in a combined unit with the cylinder and the air is ducted in.

That would use up more space within the apartment which is generally in short supply. It would also reduce the COP.

There are serious practical challenges with retro fitting a heat pump to an apartment. Next there is the issue of capital cost. I would expect this to be so high that it would not be considered a financially viable option.

Has anyone seen this done?

2011 wrote: »
    There are serious practical challenges with retro fitting a heat pump to an apartment. Next there is the issue of capital cost. I would expect this to be so high that it would not be considered a financially viable option.

Has anyone seen this done?

Retrofitting an air to water heat pump would be very costly and invasive and, I agree, would probably not be worth the level of investment. However air to air heat pumps only cost between 1500 and 2000 and can be installed in a few hours. The issue would be whether or not the management company would allow the unit to be attached to the outside of the building or on the balcony.

ercork wrote: »
    Retrofitting an air to water heat pump would be very costly and invasive and, I agree, would probably not be worth the level of investment. However air to air heat pumps only cost between 1500 and 2000 and can be installed in a few hours. The issue would be whether or not the management company would allow the unit to be attached to the outside of the building or on the balcony.

Have you ever seen them retrofitted ?

• Advertisement

I got one installed myself a couple of years ago. I don't live in an apartment though - it's a small 2 bed terraced house, about 65m2 so similar heating requirements to an apartment. This is the second winter I've had it and so far I'm really pleased with it. The bills have been way down from when I had a combination of storage heaters and panel heaters. The house is from 2004 so decent spec regarding insulation and windows/doors but certainly not comparable to a new build.

I have a small garden where I was able to install the heat pump up against the back wall - this may not be possible in an apartment building.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

coleen wrote: »
    Hi we are in the process of renovating a one bed apartment.
    Kitchen living area 18x20 all one space.
    Bathroom/ hallway 18x10 Bedroom 18x12.
    It has to be electric heating of some sort. We do have a night meter.
    This apartment will be well insulated and walls dry lined. What are the best electric options is it storage heating or is there a more modern option.
    The shower will be electric and the water in the kitchen will be heated by an under sink unit. So everything will be electric so we want to try and keep running costs down. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Some nice electric radiators here which are identical to the normal central heating type,
    There oil filled with built in time clock and heating controller
    They do special offers on various models each month
    https://www.bestheating.ie/electric-heating/electric-designer-radiators.html

I have the non electric version fitted throughout my house;
    The surface yo air contact is greater due to there design which helps provide a greater heat output

Currently €75 off this one
    https://www.bestheating.ie/milano-aruba-electric-white-horizontal-designer-radiator-635mm-x-1000mm-64346

I have seen them retrofitted in two houses with underfloor heating and the fan units outside, the house I'm wiring at the minute is the one with the pump attached to the tank inside. I have no idea how all this is working out financially for the customer, personally I'm pretty sceptical but the heat pump salesman reckons he's doing retrofits all over place, houses and apartments.

ercork wrote: »
    I got one installed myself a couple of years ago. I don't live in an apartment though - it's a small 2 bed terraced house, about 65m2 so similar heating requirements to an apartment. This is the second winter I've had it and so far I'm really pleased with it. The bills have been way down from when I had a combination of storage heaters and panel heaters. The house is from 2004 so decent spec regarding insulation and windows/doors but certainly not comparable to a new build.

Very good. Can you post some pictures?
    I have a small garden where I was able to install the heat pump up against the back wall - this may not be possible in an apartment building.

This is the part that may not be as straight forward with an apartment. It may mean sacrificing a balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Have a look at lucht. You can control from your smartphone, their programmable, and a direct swap for storage heaters.

https://www.smartelectrics.ie/lucht-radiators/

Have a look at lucht. You can control from your smartphone, their programmable, and a direct swap for storage heaters.

https://www.smartelectrics.ie/lucht-radiators/

Massively over priced in my opinion.

I would prefer to select far cheaper alternatives such as these.

Smart controllers can be added cheaply.

Very good. Can you post some pictures?

This is the part that may not be as straight forward with an apartment. It may mean sacrificing a balcony.

Yeah. That issue was discussed in this thread a while back - it doesn't look encouraging:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057991516

I don't have any pictures to hand of my unit but I will try to post a couple in a while. The one I got is a Mitsubishi MSZ-LN. Google it to see a few pictures. LG and Daikin were the other two brands that the installer mentioned.

Before I decided on it I got a quote for an air to water system - it came to about €14,000 and would take about a week to install. Difficult to justify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭fortyplus

LenWoods wrote: »
    Some nice electric radiators here which are identical to the normal central heating type,
    There oil filled with built in time clock and heating controller
    They do special offers on various models each month
    https://www.bestheating.ie/electric-heating/electric-designer-radiators.html

I have the non electric version fitted throughout my house;
    The surface yo air contact is greater due to there design which helps provide a greater heat output

Currently €75 off this one
    https://www.bestheating.ie/milano-aruba-electric-white-horizontal-designer-radiator-635mm-x-1000mm-64346

I am interested in these electric heating devices, but had a look at the Google Play reviews of the Terma BlueLine app for remote control and these are overwhelmingly poor. Does anyone have direct experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

Kramer1 says:
    "Not all heat pumps require an outside unit, working in a house today where the pump is in a combined unit with the cylinder and the air is ducted in. "

Any chance of getting more info on these units? Brand name? supplier? any experience of them in use? etc.

Donalde wrote: »
    Kramer1 says:
    "Not all heat pumps require an outside unit, working in a house today where the pump is in a combined unit with the cylinder and the air is ducted in. "

Any chance of getting more info on these units? Brand name? supplier? any experience of them in use? etc.
    No problem, think the heat pump guy is coming round to give us our instructions some day this
    Week, I'll get all the information I can off him.

• Advertisement

No problem, think the heat pump guy is coming round to give us our instructions some day this
    Week, I'll get all the information I can off him.

Great stuff, please post what you get here 🙏

Great stuff, please post what you get here ðŸ™

No bother, will be interested to see how it works myself

Will have more information next week but here's a few photos I took of the unit, which is on site already for some bizarre reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Will have more information next week but here's a few photos I took of the unit, which is on site already for some bizarre reason

This seems to only provide hot water.

https://coolenergyshop.com/products/cool-energy-ecostore-ce-es300-all-in-one-heat-pump-hot-water-system

Unless you took an awful lot of baths, wouldn’t make much sense for an apartment! The initial outlay is very high.

This seems to only provide hot water.

https://coolenergyshop.com/products/cool-energy-ecostore-ce-es300-all-in-one-heat-pump-hot-water-system

Unless you took an awful lot of baths, wouldn’t make much sense for an apartment! The initial outlay is very high.

The place is getting underfloor heating ran off of it, unless they brought in the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭wandererz

I renovated a 2 bed apartment a few years ago.
    I ripped out the storage heaters as i could not stand them.

Put in engineered wood flooring and under that Calorique electric underfloor heating.
    Did this in the lounge, part of the hallway & the bedroom.
    Put in ceramic tile in the kitchen & mesh type underfloor heating matt.

Then installed Heatmiser thermostats to control temperature & a Heatmiser timer clock for immersion.
    Works off app on phone & via Alexa etc.

Everything toasty all the time.

wandererz wrote: »
    I renovated a 2 bed apartment a few years ago.
    I ripped out the storage heaters as i could not stand them.

Put in engineered wood flooring and under that Calorique electric underfloor heating.
    Did this in the lounge, part of the hallway & the bedroom.
    Put in ceramic tile in the kitchen & mesh type underfloor heating matt.

Then installed Heatmiser thermostats to control temperature & a Heatmiser timer clock for immersion.
    Works off app on phone & via Alexa etc.

Everything toasty all the time.

How does it work out running cost wise compared to storage heaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭wandererz

Can't say exactly.
    Storage heaters are a no-no for me. I prefer to actually enjoy life without having to resort to sweaters/jumpers indoors & having to boost the heating because the storage heaters have run out of heat by 6pm & then freezing.

I pay about E180/month averaged bill & this covers heating, lighting, immersion, washing machines, fridge, freezer, dishwasher & everything else.

wandererz wrote: »
    Can't say exactly.
    Storage heaters are a no-no for me. I prefer to actually enjoy life without having to resort to sweaters/jumpers indoors & having to boost the heating because the storage heaters have run out of heat by 6pm & then freezing.

I pay about E180/month averaged bill & this covers heating, lighting, immersion, washing machines, fridge, freezer, dishwasher & everything else.

Agreed, life is too short to be dealing with storage heaters

• Advertisement

That will depend on the coefficient of performance (COP). My understanding is that air source heat pumps typically have a COP of 3 to 3.5

A COP of 3 would mean that a given heat pump would produce 3 units of heat energy for every 1 unit of electricity it consumes. This would mean that for the same heat output the heat pump would consume ⅓ of the electricity that the storage heaters would use.

Advertisement