Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-01-2020, 21:52   #1
djh2009

Interested Party

Can I remove my mortgage provider as an " interested party " on my home insurance policy ? My " Notice Of Interest Commitment Letter " states that any claim settlement above € 50,000 will be issued in joint names of policy holder and loan provider.
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 07:28   #2
Eggs For Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2009 View Post
Can I remove my mortgage provider as an " interested party " on my home insurance policy ? My " Notice Of Interest Commitment Letter " states that any claim settlement above € 50,000 will be issued in joint names of policy holder and loan provider.
You need the agreement of the interested party to have them removed. The purpose of them being there and having claim cheques in joint names is to ensure any payment made goes in to reinstating the damaged property and not just for you to spend as you wish.
24-01-2020, 12:44   #3
djh2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs For Dinner View Post
You need the agreement of the interested party to have them removed. The purpose of them being there and having claim cheques in joint names is to ensure any payment made goes in to reinstating the damaged property and not just for you to spend as you wish.

Thanks for that reply. I must get on to my mortgage provider and see how much of my home insurance premium they will pay this year.
24-01-2020, 17:32   #4
Trish56

They have an interest in your property as they lent you the money to buy it and it was a condition of your Loan Offer that their interest be noted on your policy and I'm pretty sure they will not waive that condition until your mortgage is redeemed.

Why do you want them removed ??
Thanks from:
25-01-2020, 14:15   #5
Marcusm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2009 View Post
Thanks for that reply. I must get on to my mortgage provider and see how much of my home insurance premium they will pay this year.
What LTV is your mortgage? That’s their interest. You took on an obligation to maintain insurance over the house and include the lender as an additional assured. In a functioning country, your removal of them from the policy would lead to an event if default in the loan requiring its immediate repayment even if that required possession proceedings and your removal from the property. But this is Ireland so off you go and remove them!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-01-2020, 11:59   #6
NUTLEY BOY

Don't insurance underwriters have policies like this tagged in some way whereby if the policy looks like lapsing or there is an attempt to cancel it a notice is sent to the mortgagee.

BTW what is the position procedurally if the mortgagor wants to change insurers ? Would that be a problem ?
27-01-2020, 13:24   #7
Eggs For Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTLEY BOY View Post
Don't insurance underwriters have policies like this tagged in some way whereby if the policy looks like lapsing or there is an attempt to cancel it a notice is sent to the mortgagee.

BTW what is the position procedurally if the mortgagor wants to change insurers ? Would that be a problem ?
Insurers will contact the bank/ building society if a policy is cancelled or lapsed.

Changing insurers is not an issue. Your new insurers will issue the appropriate document noting the interest to pass on to your lender
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion