Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-01-2020, 14:24   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango Joe View Post

Isn't it a bit selfish and self-absorbed to send out invitations to a few hundred people saying cancel your own New Years Eve plans, we're getting married that day?
Or...

You could say its actually considerate of them to hold it at a time where people aren't under pressure to get annual leave, where friends/family based abroad can easily attend.

Lets be honest very few people actually have better things to be doing on new years anyway, than just going for a bog-standard night on the town where places are packed, taxis are scarce - a wedding is a great alternative way to spend the evening/night

Love the idea of an NYE wedding myself!
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 14:27   #17
Mango Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
It's bit selfish if they send out the invites on the 21st of December.

But who makes plans for New Years as far in advance of when you'd realistically be getting an invite anyway?
But it's not the clash of plans that people are citing as a potential issue, its scheduling a very notable day for your wedding which people really do look forward to making their own plans on and a lot of people resent this because they feel you're taking that opportunity away from them.

This is despite the fact that a wedding could be scheduled on any other day of the year.

Is that not being a bit narcissistic? Like "oh dahling, its all about me and my special day"?!
24-01-2020, 14:33   #18

Quote:
But it's not the clash of plans that people are citing as a potential issue, its scheduling a very notable day for your wedding which people really do look forward to making their own plans on and a lot of people resent this because they feel you're taking that opportunity away from them.

This is despite the fact that a wedding could be scheduled on any other day of the year.

Is that not being a bit narcissistic? Like "oh dahling, its all about me and my special day"?!
Do they really though?

The majority of my own friends and acquaintances from a multitude of different backgrounds cannot stand NYE and see it as a pure nuisance.

I can honestly think of no-one who actually looks forward to it as a pure milestone night out or anything like that
24-01-2020, 14:33   #19
woodchuck

Quote:
Even though I wouldn't be keen on a NYE wedding, it's because the general time of year, not because of the day itself - does anyone really consider it a notable day?

I hate going out on NYE. I don't know any/many people that really look forward. I highly doubt anyone feels that an opportunity is taken away from them. It's more about the expense and time of year - nothing wrong with the date itself. It could be the night before or after New Years Eve and I still wouldn't be keen to go.
(3) thanks from:
24-01-2020, 14:35   #20
Triceratops Ballet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango Joe
That's just weddings in general, hardly exclusive to NYE!
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 14:44   #21
theteal

I've come through the wedding phase of the social circle so we've gone from 2-3 weddings a year down to none that I can think of in the last couple (although a handful of turned down invites) so I can say my disdain for weddings has somewhat evaporated and I'd probably look forward to an auld knees up.

New years on the other hand is a load of wombling c0ck. If not for Jools I'd be in bed for 10. With the growing family, the whole xmas period is a much quieter and less rambunctious affair.

I would be all about a NYE wedding tbh.
Thanks from:
24-01-2020, 14:56   #22
miamee

I've been to one NYE wedding and it was good fun. A good night to have it as most people are not too fussed about new years eve (regardless of what others in the thread have said, I don't know a single person who gets excited about NYE) but are happy to have a reason to be out dancing and drinking in nice, uncrowded surroundings with friends and family.
(2) thanks from:
24-01-2020, 14:57   #23
AlanG

An NYE wedding would be great if you allowed people to bring their kids. It would be selfish to expect people in the 5-15 age bracket to attend an NYE wedding without their kids so either invite kids or make it clear that not turning up is perfectly understandable.
Also take into account that taxis and hotels aver very difficult to get so make some arrangements and send invites very early. Many hotels are booked up from summer onwards.
24-01-2020, 15:01   #24
endacl

Don’t mind what day it’s on, once I’m not expected to go!
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 15:07   #25
$hifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by endacl View Post
Don’t mind what day it’s on, once I’m not expected to go!
I'd say you're great craic at part......eh, nevermind.
24-01-2020, 15:35   #26
lazygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofKNugget View Post
When I was a childless young whippersnapper, a NYE wedding would have been grand but these days Christmas is all about my family and having to go to a wedding over the festive period is a pain in the hole. I'd honestly rather spend my hard earned money on my wife and kids and their presents than have to squirrel away a load of money for a wedding the week after Christmas - it doesn't matter who it is or how close they are to me.
Same. NYE isn't a special night for us but any wedding over Christmas is always a pain in terms of getting babysitting. The last Christmas wedding we went to was honestly not worth all the hassle.
Thanks from:
24-01-2020, 15:37   #27
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
As has been covered, I’d love to go to a wedding on NYE. I hate going out on NYE because it’s too busy and impossible to get home, but I’d love to celebrate it at a wedding where I’d be staying at the hotel as well. It would be a total win-win for me.
(2) thanks from:
26-01-2020, 17:40   #28
Effects

Quote:
Its scheduling a very notable day for your wedding which people really do look forward to making their own plans on
NYE is usually pretty overrated as a night out though, isn't it?
Thanks from:
26-01-2020, 18:28   #29
eviltwin

The expense involved in a Christmas wedding would put me off.
26-01-2020, 23:03   #30
Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
The expense involved in a Christmas wedding would put me off.
Is it that much different to any other wedding?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion