Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2019 / 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭typhoony

Not sure this low is being handled correctly by the models, I suggest it might take a more southerly track into the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ok so we are up a notch now on the ECM for snow potential between Sunday and Tuesday.

Be interesting to see if the other models coalesce around this over the next 24 hours (it will also dispence with stormy potential mentioned above)

If they do there is a snow thread coming...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Ok so we are up a notch now on the ECM for snow potential between Sunday and Tuesday.

Be interesting to see if the other models coalesce around this over the next 24 hours (it will also dispence with stormy potential mentioned above)

Please make it so Kermit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looks like nothing more than slushy muck that melts between showers to me at the moment, westerlies rarely amount to anything enjoyable. Better than nothing though I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The snow could settle nicely at night, but its unlikely to stick around during the day. I will be happy with that considering how the winter has gone so far. However if you are after a foot of snow and ice days you will not be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Please Mr. Scandi High. Move a bit north and west and get much stronger, Valentine's might be lovely yet ;)

gfs-0-360.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Please Mr. Scandi High. Move a bit north and west and get much stronger, Valentine's might be lovely yet ;)

gfs-0-360.png?6

Looks good, however don't think there is much cold air to our east to get dragged over us even if we get an easterly

odyboody wrote: »
    Looks good, however don't think there is much cold air to our east to get dragged over us even if we get an easterly

It's pie in the sky FI alright. Though I think the GFS FI shows some cold sinking into eastern Europe by that stage. But -10 uppers on the Polish/Russian border isn't too impressive. And an awful lot would have to go right to get to at least -6 uppers from the east here by mid February.

gfs-1-360.png?6

Strangely enough Greenland is really where it's at this winter. Seriously impressive cold. Synoptics that would bring a flow from there (hard to sustain like an easterly for any period of time though) might be our best shot for February and early next week also.

I've never seen so many 'white' areas of uppers -32 to -40 over Greenland as there has been this January and predicted into FI. The cold is seriously bottled up.

gfsnh-1-246.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

No low lying snow we never get it off a northwesterly hopeful thinking from everyone in this and its not cold enough in the east to get excited about a strong easterly, plenty of sleet and thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The coldest I've seen up there on Meteociel reanalysed charts is this from January 1984 (which was a notably cold month for being so unsettled and dominated by northwesterly winds) although the scale doesn't go nearly as far and I have not looked at too many of these.

H7Be7rG.png

There is a lack of cold air to be had in the continent this winter as has been said many times but it's also important to keep in mind that continental landmasses can cool down very quickly especially during January to March timeframe. That Scandi High (in the extended frames of the GFS :rolleyes: ) is not quite set up right anyway to give us a very cold easterly as the WAA to our west is displaced, it should be more southerly sourced to inflate the high and send cold air out on the eastern side. 2009 is a perfect example of this.

JNv71Hh.png

No sign at all from teleconnections of a pattern change through early February and in fact, there's some evidence of a strengthening of the tropospheric polar vortex again. Rinse and repeat.

Jin luk wrote: »
    No low lying snow we never get it off a northwesterly hopeful thinking from everyone in this and its not cold enough in the east to get excited about a strong easterly, plenty of sleet and thats all

Depends on who 'we' are:) North and northwest, north midlands can do well. I've done well ocassionally in south Laois due to altitude.

Depends on who 'we' are:) North and northwest, north midlands can do well. I've done well ocassionally in south Laois due to altitude.

South monaghan we get good snow with easterlys not so much with a west or north westerly

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The coldest I've seen up there on Meteociel reanalysed charts is this from January 1984 (which was a notably cold month for being so unsettled and dominated by northwesterly winds) although the scale doesn't go nearly as far and I have not looked at too many of these.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/34189-january-1984/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

north westerlies are usually rubbish for most of Leinster, however the north-westerlies did strike white gold in January 2018 for much of Meath, We ended up with 8cm of snow from it over a few hours with prolonged and heavy snow showers. Very rare it is for this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

so what's the current consensus? ventusky looking like sustained light snow sunday evening right into monday night.

Monday 18 January 2005 brought a nice bit of snow to low levels on a northwesterly to KK/Laois.

Same the first Monday evening in February 2013. Just 2 off the top of my head. If the pressure is nice and low with strong winds the showers get across the country.

Amazing uppers from the East, March 11 2013. Wonder will we see something similar this year? 6 weeks away still.

gfs-2013031112-1-12.png?12

gfs-2013031112-0-12.png?12

Monday 18 January 2005 brought a nice bit of snow to low levels on a northwesterly to KK/Laois.

Same the first Monday evening in February 2013. Just 2 off the top of my head. If the pressure is nice and low with strong winds the showers get across the country.

Have u a link to charts for 8th feb i think it was 2009 maybe 2008 my birthday and we got a good snowfall that night am curious to see that 1

• Advertisement

Jin luk wrote: »
    Have u a link to charts for 8th feb i think it was 2009 maybe 2008 my birthday and we got a good snowfall that night am curious to see that 1

Here they are.. 2009. 2008 very mild.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=8&month=2&year=2009&hour=0&type=ncep&map=0&type=ncep&region=&mode=0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Isn't this thread for model discussion 120 hours onwards ? ...

We got plastered that night with white stuff co monaghan.

weisses wrote: »
    Isn't this thread for model discussion 120 hours onwards ? ...

Were hoping of a repeat on these dates 😅

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This poor +120 thread is seeing very little action this winter, we have a month and a few days left to go in winter and only 16 pages of posts. Just for fun I thought I'd post a nice little chart which probably has a 0.01% chance of working out.

This is from one of the lower resolution GFS runs for first week in February. It is out on it's own with no support anywhere else but if it happened we would be plunged into the freezer with -12 uppers just about making it into parts of Ireland from the north.

gets very chilly from the 5th of February with winds going directly into the north.

GFSP19EU06_228_1.png

Bitterly cold especially across Ulster and Leinster with those -12 Uppers.
    GFSP19EU06_246_2.png

Still cold by the 8th of February with heights trying to get going over Greenland, staying rather bitter over Ireland.

GFSP19EU06_300_1.png

Still chilly up to the end of the run with the jetsteam well to our south:
    GFSP19EU06_384_1.png

This is just for fun, as sadly the chances of this coming off are practically zero at this point. There are signs of brief northerlies on some of the other runs into the second week of February, hopefully we can build on this and expect more of a trend to colder conditions to start showing up more regularly over the next week to 10 days. There is still time to save winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some nice cold runs showing up on the GFS perturbations about 10 days out.

Both GFS and ECM possibly picking up on a very cold trend at the end of the model timeframe 4th\5th of February. I certainly think we'll get one more decent cold shot before winter is over. the NH Jet profile after +120 is interesting with it initially weakening in mid-atlantic then follows a buckling of the jet up the western side of Greenland allowing it to regenerate itself into a North Easterly over the UK

looking forward to seeing how the charts evolve tomorrow, several northerlies showing up on the gfs runs with the possibility of properly cold weather even if it's just for a few days. A fairly significant change on the endless mild runs of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Very nice northerly shot on the 00z GFS this morning - Would be nice to get some proper winter weather even if only for a few days.

gfs-1-210.png.e7be12238a8a9202619861aebbf64cea.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Have we had a single northerly, even a weak one, since 2010?

They really do seem like a thing of the past

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement