Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

5 Munster players included in Ireland u20s squad. Games are in Cork again this season. https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1219251692186763264?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The majority of the Munster squad have two down weeks following an extended 13-week block of fixtures.
    The team will return to training at the beginning of February ahead of Munster’s Guinness PRO14 clash against Southern Kings at Irish Independent Park on Friday, February 14 (7.35pm).

Eight Munster players have joined the Ireland camp for the 6 Nations – Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony, Dave Kilcoyne, CJ Stander, Chris Farrell, Keith Earls, Conor Murray and Andrew Conway.

Farrell (knee) and Earls (knee) will be reviewed by the IRFU medical department.

There were no new injury concerns following the weekend’s clash against Ospreys.

Following Munster A’s 52-14 win over Connacht A on Sunday, Academy player Jack Daly will get a scan on an ankle injury.

Jean Kleyn is rehabbing a neck injury sustained against Racing 92 with the medical department.

Rhys Marshall aggravated his knee last week but is expected to be available for the Southern Kings clash.

Darren Sweetnam and Tommy O’Donnell are completing their rehab from hamstring injuries.

Ciaran Parker (calf) will return to full training at the beginning of February.

Continuing to rehab: Joey Carbery (wrist), Tadhg Beirne (ankle), Brian Scott (foot), Tyler Bleyendaal (neck).

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/01/20/squad-update-181/

Remaining fixtures, beginning 14th Feb:

Kings (H)
    Zebre (A)
    Scarlets (H)
    Three week break
    Benetton (A)
    Benetton (H)
    One week break
    Cardiff (H)
    Leinster (A)
    Glasgow (H)
    One week break
    Edinburgh (A)
    Scarlets (A)
    One week break
    Connacht (H)

That run-in is nasty, the weeks off will be vital. We are playing our fellow Conf B contenders in the final three weeks. In saying that, every team bar the Kings is still in contention for the top three. Only eleven points seperate Scarlets at the top and Benetton at sixth.

Kings and Zebre should be at least nine points. Scarlets at home is a potential trap game, that may depend on callups for both sides. Benetton will likely be decimated by Italy callups so two wins is achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Good time to poach a temporary 10 for Munster (that would take a dent out of the Sarries pay bill)?

May not have been that mad! https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/saracens-loans-ireland-provinces-209166

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Used to be called Saffacens because of the number of Saffers they had. Will we now be calling provinces Munstercens and Leinstercens? ;)

• Advertisement

The provinces should do it for Stephen J*nes' reaction alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The provinces should do it for Stephen J*nes' reaction alone.
    His head would explode from cognitive dissonance. Or maybe implode. Just a little popping sound and nobody would notice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

For anyone that listened to the Baz and Andrew podcast last week, this is the video they were referring to...

I'm sure many people have seen this already but just in case posting it here: https://twitter.com/billyholland/status/1220839148245962752 Really puts life in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'm sure many people have seen this already but just in case posting it here: https://twitter.com/billyholland/status/1220839148245962752 Really puts life in perspective.

Fair play to them for doing what they did, they spoke very well.

As great as the nursing staff are on children’s wards, and I have first hand experience of it on a few occasions I Always wonder do the politicians and decisions makers in charge of these places feel no embarrassment and like the abject failures that they are when people have to fundraise so that the parents of sick and dying children can have some Level of comfort while at the bed side of their children as they undergo serious procedures?

The have raise over 300k now and it will probably go towards 400k which is amazing work. Well done the Holland’s.

• Advertisement

Fair play to them for doing what they did, they spoke very well.

As great as the nursing staff are on children’s wards, and I have first hand experience of it on a few occasions I Always wonder do the politicians and decisions makers in charge of these places feel no embarrassment and like the abject failures that they are when people have to fundraise so that the parents of sick and dying children can have some Level of comfort while at the bed side of their children as they undergo serious procedures?

The have raise over 300k now and it will probably go towards 400k which is amazing work. Well done the Holland’s.

We've one of the best health services in the world, better statistically than the NHS. No doubt it could be better, but all our political parties have ensured it's well funded - the HSE itself is outrageously wasteful and disorganized and that's a problem successive health ministers have failed to deal with. I'm not sure they should feel shame for trying, it's one of the biggest issues facing almost every developed economy and we're doing better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Venjur wrote: »
    We've one of the best health services in the world, better statistically than the NHS. No doubt it could be better, but all our political parties have ensured it's well funded - the HSE itself is outrageously wasteful and disorganized and that's a problem successive health ministers have failed to deal with. I'm not sure they should feel shame for trying, it's one of the biggest issues facing almost every developed economy and we're doing better than most.

I think this is absolutely incredible, what the Hollands are doing, so not taking away from it at all, but: 400k is 0.002% of the annual HSE budget. Of all its problems, I don't think underfunding is one of them. It's what is done with the money that is the problem.

But again. Can't imagine the heartbreak of losing a child and the strength you'd need to turn it into something positive so enormous respect to Holland and his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Just out of curiosity how so?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how so?

The HSE has better patient outcome statistics and survival rates for the major chronic illnesses. Life expectancy is actually dropping in the UK.

That’s sir with the greatest of respect is complete bollocks.

We have one of the best funded health services but poorest outcomes In the OECD, and politicians can’t insulate themselves from that failure. The children’s hospital the perfect example.

Not to be sidetracking a rugby thread, it’s just a pity that the parents of sick children feel that financial resources are needed to ease the difficulties of the next parents who come after them with sick children. The Ronald McDonald house provides something that should be part of the arrangements for the parents of sick kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Could we not turn this into a political rant please? Jesus.

Billy Holland was an absolute credit to himself and his family last night. Hard to watch at times.

Could we not turn this into a political rant please? Jesus.

Billy Holland was an absolute credit to himself and his family last night. Hard to watch at times.

it’s in danger of descending into that alright, and the Holland’s have done something incredible

I just think that people in theses heartbreaking situations shouldn’t have to want for anything, they can already be hugely out of pocket taking time unpaid off Work and having additional travelling expenses and their needs are not met by the health service, it’s private charity that is fulfilling the need.

From what I read they 100k they were trying to fundraiser was to pay for a room
    In the Ronald McDonald house for a year, maybe now they can pay for 4. Well done, I know if I Wouldn’t have been able to do what they did dealing with that level of grief.

Kevin O'Byrne 2020
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2021

Diarmuid Barron Year 2
    Eoghan Clarke Year 2

James Cronin 2021
    Dave Kilcoyne 2020
    Liam O'Connor 2022
    Jeremy Loughman 2020

James French Year 2
    Josh Wycherley Year 2

Stephen Archer 2022
    John Ryan 2022
    Brian Scott 2020
    Ciaran Parker 2020

Keynan Knox Year 3 & 2022

Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Billy Holland 2020
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    Sean O'Connor 2020
    Darren O'Shea 2020
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 2
    Paddy Kelly Year 1
    Eoin O'Connor Year 1

Arno Botha 2020
    Gavin Coombes 2021
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2021
    Peter O'Mahony 2021
    Jack O'Sullivan 2023
    Conor Oliver 2020
    CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 2
    John Hodnett Year 1

Craig Casey 2021
    Neil Cronin 2021
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    Conor Murray 2022

Jack Stafford Year 3

Tyler Bleyendaal 2021
    Joey Carbery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021

Jake Flannery Year 1
    Ben Healy Year 2

Sam Arnold 2020
    Shane Daly 2021
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2022
    Alex McHenry 2021
    Rory Scannell 2021

Sean French Year 2

Andrew Conway 2020
    Liam Coombes 2021
    Keith Earls 2021
    Mike Haley 2021
    Calvin Nash 2021
    Darren Sweetnam 2021
    Alex Wootton 2021

Alan Tynan Year 3
    Jonathan Wren Year 2

2019/20 NIEs:
    Arno Botha (capped), Chris Cloete (uncapped)

Rumoured:
    RG Snyman (LK, Honda Heat)
    Damian de Allende (CT, Panasonic Wild Knights)
    Matt Gallagher (Back 3, Saracens)

On the ball Thomond. Think that's 12 out of contract before end of season but would expect it go down. Hard to see all 12 being kept on though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

LH looks a bit stacked

Especially when you consider Whycherley is meant to be a prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I'd like to see Conways not drag on much longer. He must be kept !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

theboss80 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Conways not drag on much longer. He must be kept !

A lot of these contracts are signed for ages and announced in dribs and drabs for maximum PR effect.

I remember Murray a few contracts back saying he had signed a contract 6-8 weeks before it was announced and was fending off questions from friends about newspapers reports saying he was off abroad, because he wasn't allowed to tell anyone until the IRFU announced it.

I'd have no worries about Conway renewing.

A lot of these contracts are signed for ages and announced in dribs and drabs for maximum PR effect.

I remember Murray a few contracts back saying he had signed a contract 6-8 weeks before it was announced and was fending off questions from friends about newspapers reports saying he was off abroad, because he wasn't allowed to tell anyone until the IRFU announced it.

I'd have no worries about Conway renewing.

Yeah early days yet. It's usually later towers and of the season so I wouldn't be worried just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

yerrahbah wrote: »
    LH looks a bit stacked

Especially when you consider Whycherley is meant to be a prospect

Thought French had swapped to TH?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone seen the clips of Sneyman playing in Japan? Looks like a grown man playing against little kids, there was a clip of him in the middle of a maul where he just reached over and plucked the ball out of the carriers hands at the back of the ruck and offloaded it

Kevin O'Byrne - Probably stays, has done well covering Marshall's injury.
    Dave Kilcoyne - Stays/IRFU contract
    Jeremy Loughman - Probably stays after recent performances.
    Brian Scott - Depends on need for cover. John Ryan is currently out of the Ireland squad, Archer has been re-signed and Knox moves to the senior squad next season.
    Ciaran Parker - See above.
    Billy Holland - Tough one. If Snyman signs then is there room for Holland? He's also at retirement age.
    Sean O'Connor - Strange case. No appearances since November 2018. May depend on Holland's situation.
    Darren O'Shea - Probably leaving.
    Arno Botha - Almost certainly leaving.
    Conor Oliver - Almost certainly leaving.

Jack Stafford - Almost certainly leaving with four SHs signed for next year.
    Sam Arnold - Probably leaving with Goggin and McHenry re-signed.
    Andrew Conway - Stays/IRFU contract
    Alan Tynan - Probably leaving as back three is stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Kevin O'Byrne - Probably stays, has done well covering Marshall's injury.
    Dave Kilcoyne - Stays/IRFU contract
    Jeremy Loughman - Probably stays after recent performances.
    Brian Scott - Depends on need for cover. John Ryan is currently out of the Ireland squad, Archer has been re-signed and Knox moves to the senior squad next season.
    Ciaran Parker - See above.
    Billy Holland - Tough one. If Snyman signs then is there room for Holland? He's also at retirement age.
    Sean O'Connor - Strange case. No appearances since November 2018. May depend on Holland's situation.
    Darren O'Shea - Probably leaving.
    Arno Botha - Almost certainly leaving.
    Conor Oliver - Almost certainly leaving.

Jack Stafford - Almost certainly leaving with four SHs signed for next year.
    Sam Arnold - Probably leaving with Goggin and McHenry re-signed.
    Andrew Conway - Stays/IRFU contract
    Alan Tynan - Probably leaving as back three is stacked.

I've liked O'Byrne and Loughman under the new system - both able to play a bit of ball and looked good in the early parts of the season (O'Byrne had some nice involvements in setting up tries and Loughman threw that beauty of a pass off turnover ball)

Holland is indeed a tough one. The sentimental part of Munster may keep him on and get him mentoring up-and-coming players. He has another little one on the way, so may not be ready to call it quits just yet (or maybe he fancies a bit of home life).

Shame about Oliver and Stafford in a way; Oliver was certainly supposed to be one of the next big prospects at some point in time and Stafford was an intriguing one, but then Casey appeared on the scene. Feel for Arnold; he's made moves to try to get first team rugby, was really good when thrown into starting 13 shirt when we had some injuries and plays with plenty of aggression, but he had a badly timed injury, Goggin seemed to leapfrog him, and the midfield battle got even more competitive.

🤪

Any more word on the Irish qualifies saries fullback?

• Advertisement

Anyone seen the clips of Sneyman playing in Japan? Looks like a grown man playing against little kids, there was a clip of him in the middle of a maul where he just reached over and plucked the ball out of the carriers hands at the back of the ruck and offloaded it

It's like those footballers vs 100 kids videos

Advertisement