Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Currane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

This is disturbing, as a kid my family spent many days of each summer on Currane. I didn’t realize it was this bad. Haven’t been there in a long time. In the 70s it was a case of my dad having fun fishing, releasing many but bringing home something for dinner... sad to see this decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Anyway, had a great week on Currane. High quality brownies as well as the two controversial sea trout. Four or five days of a westerly helped and had me fishing marks I haven't been near in a few years. Got the good ones right on top of rocks which was odd given the low lake.
    There's been a pulse of the 3 and 1/2 to 5 and 1/2 fish and I reckon they've been out and back between 3 and five times. I got a couple of juniors over a pound and I heard of a few more too. Nothing spectacular in terms of numbers but I got the good fish on two different sides of the lake so there may be more than than you'd think. Still nowhere near enough juniors. The next flood will be important for that.
    From the point of view of brown trout fishing, the fish have definitely got much bigger in the last few years. On the night I was leaving, there was a cloud of small black sedge around the boats and if you look at the farms on the North side of the lake, the top of the hills have been reclaimed for grass growing, all in recent years. Whatever they're using to grow grass in marginal upland must be finding its way into the lake. Maybe that's a bigger threat to the sea trout in the long run than the sea lice. Either way, it's a much better brown trout lake than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Perfect day here today, not a sinner around and only the cuckoo and the water lapping the rocks to be heard.
    Got two pan size brownies on the double worm in the first hour.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Just got another one, 3 in an hour and a half.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Finished up after 4 hours fishing with 6 brownies, killed the first 6 and returned the other three.

I wasn't trolling, I wasn't even on a boat. They all succumbed to the double worm fished from the shore.

The water was low enough and while it was a bit cloudy it was still too bright for spinning.

I met the first trout on a slow retrieve about 50 feet out from where I was standing and that's roughly where the other trout were caught.

Only saw one eagle but it sounded like two different cuckoos were in voice.

I took some pictures but I don't know how to upload them, I could email them on to anyone who wants to see them and they could throw them up here.

I'm sure anyone who knows the Lough well will be able to recognise exactly where I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod. Multiple off topic posts deleted. The thread is for Lough Currane discussion. Not a peeing contest. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

From Monday's Irish Times:

"An assessment and monitoring project entitled Currane Stamp has commenced in the Lough Currane catchment in Waterville, Co Kerry to identify factors contributing to the decline of sea trout populations."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/getting-to-the-bottom-of-sea-trout-decline-in-lough-currane-1.4120633

Should be interesting.

The consensus is that the salmon farm in ballinskelligs bay is the primary contributor to the sea trout decline in Currane. That salmon farm has since been closed for harvesting well above the permitted amount. It may be a case of closing the gate after the horse has bolted but nevertheless at least there is some involvement at a state level now. As you say it'll be interesting to see the outcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

SeaFields wrote: »
    The consensus is that the salmon farm in ballinskelligs bay is the primary contributor to the sea trout decline in Currane. That salmon farm has since been closed for harvesting well above the permitted amount. It may be a case of closing the gate after the horse has bolted but nevertheless at least there is some involvement at a state level now. As you say it'll be interesting to see the outcome.

To clarify: the farm has had its licence revoked but the company are appealing this to the High Court and until the case is decided the farm continues to operate.

Zzippy wrote: »
    To clarify: the farm has had its licence revoked but the company are appealing this to the High Court and until the case is decided the farm continues to operate.

Thanks Zzippy. I did not know that. I was under the impression, from the media reports, it was closed. A speedy outcome to the study would be most welcome so.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any recommendations for early season wet fly patterns? I'm thinking slow and deep fished patterns once the season opens for brownies this time next month. (Even if I catch nothing I just want to be out!)

Anyone have any recommendations for early season wet fly patterns? I'm thinking slow and deep fished patterns once the season opens for brownies this time next month. (Even if I catch nothing I just want to be out!)

It's been a very mild winter so you might be surprised how shallow fish could be feeding early season. Worth trying shrimp patterns in close to rocks and shorelines. If going deep and slow patterns like minkies work well on Corrib

Anyone going out on Lough Currane today?

Let us know how you get on, please. You might even get the first salmon of the season!

Slasher wrote: »
    Anyone going out on Lough Currane today?

Let us know how you get on, please. You might even get the first salmon of the season!

Nothing caught as of yet according to the Facebook page.

First salmon taken today. On the fly on the butler's pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I was waiting for the catch and release brigade to be moaning on Facebook but maybe because it was caught on the fly it's ok that he killed him 😂

Great looking fish a proper Springer but it wasn't the first there was fish taken from the flesk earlier in the week but them Kerry boys don't like reporting catches ,hard to blame em I suppose

Lads has anyone a link to a map of Currane giving all the bays, etc for fishing. I remember seeing one years ago but can't remember where. Peter O Reillys book doesn't have it.

Lads has anyone a link to a map of Currane giving all the bays, etc for fishing. I remember seeing one years ago but can't remember where. Peter O Reillys book doesn't have it.

Ordinance survey map no.83 will cover it.

Cheers Rows. Will have a look

Had a beautiful pound and a half brownie from the shore yesterday (released)... Water was like ice ice though. At least it felt that way after wading for an hour.

• Advertisement

Had a beautiful pound and a half brownie from the shore yesterday (released)... Water was like ice ice though. At least it felt that way after wading for an hour.

Fly or lure?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Fly or lure?

On the fly. Size 14 green Peter. floating line too.

Currane is brown tags at the start of 2021. Good news. I used always find it horrendous to see springers knocked on the head. I see no sport in trolling around the lake by visiting anglers and, it has to be said some local anglers, early in the season and knocking on the head whatever they hook.

Does anyone know if there were any salmon caught yesterday?

Flat calm for most of the day, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭wonga77

Don't think there's been anything caught yet. The brown tag system is a bit of a mess so far I think. If you use up your brown tag this early then you have to fish single barbless hooks thereafter.
    As far as I can make out there's only been 2 or 3 boats out fishing most days, some of the more regular locals that would be out most days didn't get any brown tag so enthusiasm appears to be low this year

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

This thread is very quiet which seems ominous for the spring salmon in Lough Currane.
    A local seafood shop chain is advertising their "Wild Irish Sea Trout" on Radio Kerry. Little do the public know that these are the lice infested caged variety that are doing so much damage to the wild stocks.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭wonga77

Very few boats out there. None of the regulars from Cork etc have been down. Id say there are no more than 2 or 3 boats out during the day (at a push)and plenty of days that there are zero boats out.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

What's it like these days?

Spending a week in Waterville this month and am hoping to get out on the lake for a day, try and catch a white trout, as we used to call them where I grew up ...

Thanks.

I was in Waterville the last week in June. Fished two days on Lough Currane. Trolled mostly. Got a grilse, about 6 lbs on the first day. Nothing on the second day. On one of the days that i did not fish, about seven or eight boats were out, and they got four salmon between them.

Very quiet - on one of the days there were only two other boats out, they left early, and, as far as we could see, we were the only boat on the lake for the rest of the day. I have never seen it so quiet.

• Advertisement

Unreal quiet today as well, saw more helicopters than boats. Got a few brown trout with the double worm on 4lb line from the shore.

Advertisement