Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

270 ammo

Options
  • 19-01-2020 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

All things being equal what's the best .270 ammo for dropping game at under 200 yards?

It's a long subject but short answers appreciated.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have used the following on Reds, Fallow, Sika, ( Stags, Hinds and Calves), Wild Goats, Roe and Wild Boar. When done right they work perfect.

Winchester Super-X Ammunition 130 Grain Power-Point

Federal® Power•Shok® .270 Winchester 130 Grain

Federal® Fusion® .270 Winchester 130-Grain.

Minimum / Maximum ranges were 15 yards to 210 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

Used 270 hornady super performance ballistic tip130gr on sika, never got up, usually a sizeable exit. Now using federal 130gr ballistic tip. Sika still not getting up, but recoil is lower and exit is smaller or not present. Would happily use either, only changed because everybody else was singing praises of the federal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Never shot anything with a 270 where the deer or goat ever got up , Federal, PPU, Hornady super performance , hand loads etc.
    Anything that ran ( a short distance) was due to poor shot placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks very much for the replies folks. I haven't actually got my rifle yet but hopefully the licence is on the way very soon.

I'm using Federal Fusion in my .308 and am very happy with them but not being very experienced I wanted to find out what other more experienced shooters are using in the .270.

I can't wait to try it it out and compare it to the .308, I'll start off with a box or two of Federal Fusion and see how it goes, will probably stick up an ad here then to see if anyone has anything for sale just to compare.

Thanks again.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

What did you get by way of the .270 rifle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Very nice, best of luck with it.

Advertisement