Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hotpoint and Indesit washing machine recall

• 17-12-2019 4:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whirlpool has issued a recall notice on some of its models of washing machines due to a potential safety concern.

It affects certain models of Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines made between October 2014 and 2018 and it is feared up to 11,000 machines in Ireland may be impacted.

A flaw with the door-locking system may lead them to overheat and potentially catch fire.

Whirpool launched an urgent recall of certain models of tumble dryers over fire safety fears in July of this year.

If you think your washing machine might be affected, you can check by calling 0818 903 281 or by visiting https://washingmachinerecall.whirlpool.ie/ .

Here is a full list of the models involved in the Whirlpool recall of fire-risk Hotpoint and Indesit branded washing machines.

The models are listed by their commercial code, followed by the brand name.

FML 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMAOD 743G UK Hotpoint
    WMAOD 743P UK Hotpoint
    WMAQB 721P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQC 641P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQC 741G UK Hotpoint
    WMAQC 741P UK Hotpoint
    WMAQC 741P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQF 621G UK Hotpoint
    WMAQF 621P UK Hotpoint
    WMAQF 641 P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQF 721G UK Hotpoint
    WMAQF 721P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMAQL 621G UK Hotpoint
    WMBF 742G UK Hotpoint
    WMBF 742K UK Hotpoint
    WMBF 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMBF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMBF 763P UK Hotpoint
    WMEF 722 BC UK Hotpoint
    WMEF 742 P UK Hotpoint
    WMEUF 722P UK Hotpoint
    WMEUF 743G UK Hotpoint
    WMEUF 743P UK Hotpoint
    WMFG 741P UK Hotpoint
    WMFG 741P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMFUG 742 P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMFUG 742G UK Hotpoint
    WMFUG 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMFUG 842P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMJLF 842P UK Hotpoint
    WMJLL 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMSAQG 621P UK Hotpoint
    WMXTF 742G UK Hotpoint
    WMXTF 742K UK Hotpoint
    WMXTF 742P UK Hotpoint
    WMXTF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMXTF 842P UK.M Hotpoint
    WMYL 7151PS UK Hotpoint
    XWA 81252X K UK Indesit
    XWA 81252X W UK Indesit
    XWD 71452X K UK Indesit
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/up-to-11000-washing-machines-may-be-recalled-by-whirlpool-due-to-fire-safety-concerns-970955.html

[mod] copied to SAFETY NOTICES Sticky[/mod]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Thanks. I have one of these. Only 2 months old. A nightmare on top of Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

What’s gonna happen? Will the Company come and collect it? Or will the owner have to call the company? Never seen a washing machine been recalled before! The risk of a fire is pretty serious..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

job seeker wrote: »
    What’s gonna happen? Will the Company come and collect it? Or will the owner have to call the company? Never seen a washing machine been recalled before! The risk of a fire is pretty serious..

There's always a risk of fire with washing machines dryers and dishwashers. Speak to your local fire stations for the reality.

These should never be ran at night with a sleeping house hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭buzz11

Thanks for posting, I have an effected washing machine -- had it since 2014 so that 5 years in the house with a major fire risk

It says on the recall website;

If your washing machine is being recalled, you will be able to choose between two options:

A like-for-like replacement washing machine provided free-of-charge
    A free-of-charge in-home repair of your appliance

I contacted Power City this morning & am waiting on customer services to get back to me. Whirlpool have been useless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Feared mine might be on the list but it's a Washer/Drier.

That said given the sheer number of recalls of this companies machines it'll be probably be on the next recall notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Quinnie

Mine is one of the models. It has been a nightmare this morning trying to contact Whirlpool. Their registration website is "down" and the Irish telephone number on their site does not work!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Quinnie wrote: »
    Mine is one of the models. It has been a nightmare this morning trying to contact Whirlpool. Their registration website is "down" and the Irish telephone number on their site does not work!

Same thing happened when the dryers were recalled, but the service is great once the pressure on the site and helpline ease..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have a Hotpoint WMBF 742 The closest I see on the list is
    WMBF 742P UK Hotpoint

My model doesn't have the P after it. The website is down. Does anyone have an educated opinion as to weather my washing machine is being recalled?

The website is up & running now

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have a Hotpoint WMBF 742 The closest I see on the list is

My model doesn't have the P after it. The website is down. Does anyone have an educated opinion as to weather my washing machine is being recalled?

I had the same issue but then saw the full code on the sticker that comes with it. So I'd say yours is the same as mine & one of the affected ones.

Thanks Sleeper12, but I cannot complete the registration. The site does not approve of my mobile number!!

Thanks Sleeper12, but I cannot complete the registration. The site does not approve of my mobile number!!

It won't accept my postcode. Clearly set up for the UK

Knine wrote:
    It won't accept my postcode. Clearly set up for the UK

I put in a UK postcode & my model & it was able to tell me that mine isn't recalled.

I put in a UK postcode & my model & it was able to tell me that mine isn't recalled.

Did you put in the full code because mine has a shorter code on it but elsewhere there is a longer code which matches with the affected models. The Full code is in the door inset. Mine is on the list. I can't register with an incorrect post code.

Knine wrote:
    Did you put in the full code because mine has a shorter code on it but elsewhere there is a longer code which matches with the affected models. The Full code is in the door inset. Mine is on the list. I can't register with an incorrect post code.

My code is at the rear of the machine. It was the one I posted earlier only with a G on the end.

I was sort of hoping to get my 3 year old machine replaced for free :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My code is at the rear of the machine. It was the one I posted earlier only with a G on the end.

I was sort of hoping to get my 3 year old machine replaced for free :(
    I'm surprised that they'd have a different lock mechanism just because of the colour.

P is Polar white, G being graphite, IIRC.

I don't think you'd get a new machine anyway, just have the lock changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Just a heads-up on this, Whirlpool website said my machine wasn't one of the ones for a recall going on serial number....

These are photos of the switch I removed in July... machine was saying F06 error, door interlock was shorting out.
    Notified them on twitter, (them as in Hotpoint, whirlpool, indesit), not one reply, no option for reporting fault on there helpline either

I thought I read that they are offering new machines or a refund? They are saying that they will collect the faulty machine directly from your home and bring a replacement.

P isn't recalled either

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Website is accepting Eircodes and Irish Phone numbers today.
    Need to have capital letters and a space in the middle of the Eircode mind you.
    Also need +353 and no '0' to begin the phone number.
    For example 086 1234567 is +353861234567

My parents' machine is on the affected list. Hotpoint WMFUG 742G.
    They went into Currys yesterday and were given the all clear.
    I went on the website earlier today to confirm.
    Opposite answer - the machine is subject to recall.

Don't know who to believe now.

Website asked for the colour of the door lock mechanism as final step (after model number & serial number).
    Meaning the receptacle the door catch goes into on the machine body.
    In image below it's between the two screws (random washing machine photo I found on the internet btw, nothing to do with recall)
    maxresdefault.jpg

Was a choice of white, grey or black.
    Mine was white. Can't say if grey and/or black are okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

As an engineer in the white goods trade my advice until you hear from the company is do not leave the appliance unattended while it is working and plug it out when finished. Since the manufacture of well known brand names of yesteryear has transferred to places like Turkey this was bound to happen as you cant produce a quality appliance for the price they retail these appliances for. Factor in the retail mark up, the mark up to cover the warranty and 23% vat these are being manufactured for the price of an equivalent quality kids Meccano set.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yep - P at the end of the model number denotes: White washing machine colour (P=Polar white)

G= Graphite (grey) colour washing machine.

S= Sliver

B = Black

dont hold me to this but if you break down the model number (in this example)

WMFUG 842P

WM (stands for Washing machine) FUG (haven't got a clue) 842 (the 8 stands for 8Kg drum - the 4 stands for 1400rpm max spin speed - (i dont know what the 2 denotes) then the P denotes Polar white cabinet colour.

Dont forget to unplug these machines totally , dont just rely on turning it off with the on-off button on the front of the machine because there could still be electric in the machine and going through the door catch - i dare say the door caches contacts in side are thin and cannot handle the current in the lock gets jammed or fails and just overheats.

Strange if they change the whole machine over it. If they just sent an engineer out to the premises with a modified door switch (one with stronger contacts/metal) ten the engineer could easily change it in definately under an hour (whips off lid , 2 screws hold the catch on, and wires held on by spade terminals ) not a long job at all. no need to un-plumb washing machine and take away .. but if thats what they are offering , or a new for old deal then I suppose a lot of people will come off better deal through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

So I have gone back and rechecked my machine to see if it was affected by the recall...and website now says it has been recalled...

It didn't give me the option of picking what locking mechanism the last time I had looked.

Even their Twitter agents said it wasn't recalled even with all the evidence of the old burnt out switch....

Mine was on the recall list but it turns out that it already has the safety feature added due to manufacture date. However it has since developed another issue so Whirlpool are not even going to attempt a repair but are going to replace it. In all fairness Whirlpool have been very helpful. The same can't be said for Power City who were extremely rude & told me I would have to pay a large call out fee if they could prove it was user error. :rolleyes: Their Customer Service was so dire that I actually walked out of the shop with no sign of a resolution. I have to buy a new Fridge soon so I won't be shopping in Power City!

Just checked the parents washing machine there and it says at the Confirmation section of the process, that it’s not affected by the product safety issue.

Also when I was checking the code it had an extra “.M” on the end of the code I have. I got that code from inside the door! Not sure if I should chase this up or just leave it...

Just checked the parents washing machine there and it says at the Confirmation section of the process, that it’s not affected by the product safety issue.

Also when I was checking the code it had an extra “.M” on the end of the code I have. I got that code from inside the door! Not sure if I should chase this up or just leave it...

Send them a message on their Facebook Page just to double check. They are pretty helpful

Knine wrote: »
    Send them a message on their Facebook Page just to double check. They are pretty helpful

I will thanks! I’m so fricken’ confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

Yip we're impacted too with the "Currys" WMFUG742G - Has anyone personally heard from Whirlpool yet as to when they are going to be having an engineer out or the washer replaced? Cheers.

Yip we're impacted too with the "Currys" WMFUG742G - Has anyone personally heard from Whirlpool yet as to when they are going to be having an engineer out or the washer replaced? Cheers.

I telephoned Whirlpool Ireland this afternoon, who told me I needed to contact the following number - 0818 903281 - but surprise surprise the number does not work!!!

Not at all impressed with Whirlpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I telephoned Whirlpool Ireland this afternoon, who told me I needed to contact the following number - 0818 903281 - but surprise surprise the number does not work!!!

Not at all impressed with Whirlpool.

Did you try 0044818903281 ? It might work maybe ?

Advertisement