Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LGTB in TV advertising

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Advertisers make ads to sell sh1t to you. It's nothing to do with pushing agendas or trying to be "woke" or whatever other paranoid nonsense you want to attach to it.

The purpose of an ad is to make you remember the product, the name of it, and induce you to buy it or suggest it to someone else. There is absolutely no other agenda to it.

If they appear to be following a formula or agenda, it's because they think that will work, to sell more sh1t.

Big brands using minorities in their ads are doing this to try and increase the reach of their products. Everyone know what Gillette is and who makes it. If they start including some gay lads in it, then it speaks directly to them, to try and increase sales to that market segment. It won't hurt the straight market segment, because they already know the brand, it's big enough that people won't think, "Oh maybe those razors are only for the gays."
    But it will increase positive sentiment from gay men towards Gillette razors and make them more likely to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

that Gillette ad back fired, they lost a lot of customers over it and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

MrsBean wrote: »
    LGTV

Sounds like one of those really fast Italian trains

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is literally a comic by a holocaust denier neo-nazi
    I didn't know that. Can you provide some proof please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sounds like one of those really fast Italian trains
    Like Pendolino or Frecciarossa ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People still watch tv?! Only ads I see are on YouTube and it's always Audible offering a free book. So much so, I will never subscribe!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

People still watch tv?! Only ads I see are on YouTube and it's always Audible offering a free book. So much so, I will never subscribe!

You can get You Tube Premium for around €1.70 per month and never see another ad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You can get You Tube Premium for around €1.70 per month and never see another ad

I'll be honest, I don't use it that much, and when I do, it's mainly on the PC with the lovely ad removing add-ons for Chrome. It's only on the phone/PS4 that I get the ads, but I also mainly watch videos that don't contain ads, so not worth it right now. I've enough subs as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

biko wrote: »
    I didn't know that. Can you provide some proof please?

Super quick Google because it's late, and I didn't make the claim but here's a real quick breakdown.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/StoneToss#Holocaust_denial

The content of a lot of his comics over the years have been very much along the lines of the more right wing view, even a bit beyond yourself.

As a touch extra, here's a recent comic on his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/stone_toss/status/1291380956696391681/photo/1

You'll notice the numbers on the Jerseys of the two players is 13 and 50 which is a direct reference to this.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=13%2F50

Or you could just take like, 10 minutes to browse his Twitter feed and check out his comments and retweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Representation in ads has never bothered me. The only thing I lament is there doesn't seem to be any ads apart from a very few, that are good or well produced anymore.
    Seems like all the good creators and writers have left the building.

What we have left is very generic, 'tick the box' exercise by a third rate echo chamber of media companies and company marketing departments. You the consumer whatever your persuasion is totally ignored in this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    Advertisers make ads to sell sh1t to you. It's nothing to do with pushing agendas or trying to be "woke" or whatever other paranoid nonsense you want to attach to it.

The purpose of an ad is to make you remember the product, the name of it, and induce you to buy it or suggest it to someone else. There is absolutely no other agenda to it.

If they appear to be following a formula or agenda, it's because they think that will work, to sell more sh1t.
    This +1000. In 99% of seeming "agendas" and "conspiracies" always follow the money, because that's all it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Representation in ads has never bothered me. The only thing I lament is there doesn't seem to be any ads apart from a very few, that are good or well produced anymore.
    Seems like all the good creators and writers have left the building.

What we have left is very generic, 'tick the box' exercise by a third rate echo chamber of media companies and company marketing departments. You the consumer whatever your persuasion is totally ignored in this.
    Expect this to to continue by the way. TV advertising is dying on its arse. Far fewer people watching broadcast TV, the numbers are dropping all the time. And people won't tolerate five minute-long ad breaks on their streaming services, even free ones.
    When I saw that ad on RTE where TV advertising was advertising...itself, I knew the end was nigh.

The clever creators have moved onto different formats, ones that get bigger audiences and pay better money. Some companies with strong marketing departments (such as Diageo) will continue to knock it out of the park by produced cross-format ads. But by and large the money spent on TV advertising will continue dropping.

And as TV advertising gets cheaper and cheaper you will start to see cheaper and cheaper ads, more and more of them produced by some local businessman in his office with an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

seamus wrote: »
    And as TV advertising gets cheaper and cheaper you will start to see cheaper and cheaper ads, more and more of them produced by some local businessman in his office with an iPhone.

That just gave me a flashback of cheap adverts in the 80's / early 90's.
    Especially the cheap ads on UTV, which would comprise of a still image of a shop with some text and a poorly sampled voice-over (usually the same voice for all of them)

"(Silence for a few seconds).....Sale now on!.....(Silence)....Go to Walton's of Newry for excellent deals....(Silence)....First exit on the Belfast Road.....(Silence until end)"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Archeron

Rawr wrote: »
    That just gave me a flashback of cheap adverts in the 80's / early 90's.
    Especially the cheap ads on UTV, which would comprise of a still image of a shop with some text and a poorly sampled voice-over (usually the same voice for all of them)

"(Silence for a few seconds).....Sale now on!.....(Silence)....Go to Walton's of Newry for excellent deals....(Silence)....First exit on the Belfast Road.....(Silence until end)"

Bishops of Coleraine 😁 I'll never forget the still image of a single shoe while that was said in a heavy northern Irish accent. Most memorable ad of my childhood after Um Bongo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As others opined here, it’s all about the sales of the product and money is the bottom line. There really is no “agenda” at work here.

The very first time I saw a gay male couple in a TV advert was all of about 25 years ago in my college days, an advert for Impulse body spray for women, set in San Francisco. LGBT people have been represented in adverts for a long time now...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JupiterKid wrote: »
    As others opined here, it’s all about the sales of the product and money is the bottom line. There really is no “agenda” at work here.
    Exactly JK. But let's for a moment imagine there actually was and a sekrit cabal of "Lefties" hellbent on gayness for the world decided to promote The Gay(tm) through advertising. So what? Are people afraid they'd start looking at bottoms of the same sex with a new vigour? Hardly. Or maybe?

I mean I don't know any Gay folks who've watched ads with Straight folks going at it hammer and tongs and decided "hmmm, now that I think about it, I'm convinced. I now look at lady's/gentleman's[delete as applicable] bottoms and think oh I definitely would". Nope.

A Gay lad watching those old Cadbury's Flake ads where various luscious ladies in various states of slow motion flowing dresses performed fellatio on same, which could inflame the Straight lads out there, would instead be thinking "Christ I could murder some choccy right about now". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement