Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to have to repeat 1st Year? (I'm in Engineering)

• 11-08-2020 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I started 1st year Engineering at Trinity last year (full of hope and enthusiasm) and a couple of weeks in when I was struggling with the workload and also struggling to make friends I got hit with a wave of depression and anxiety that I'd been dealing with since 5th year of secondary school. It got hard to attend lectures and all of a sudden I had no interest in the course or anything. I thought I was in the wrong course for a while and lived miserably through till new years. After that I took steps and managed to get my head right such that I could at least do my college work.

I failed two exams last Christmas. I'm repeating them in two weeks. Thankfully I passed all of my summer exams.

I'm seriously struggling with the material in the two subjects I'm repeating soon and although I'm trying to be positive I'm faced with the serious prospect of failing 1st Year Engineering. The implications of this are so daunting. There's the financial aspect, there's the social aspect. Will people see me as a failure from now on? At the back of my mind there's the thought that maybe I'm in the wrong place and attempting to do something I'm not capable of doing.

Has anyone ever been in this position? I'm fighting as hard as I can to pass this thing but if it's not enough now, is there any hope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Fair play to you for being able to talk about it. If you are under pressure, take time out. There is no shame in being under pressure. Dont care about other people, they have issues too. Do not let anything affect your health, both mental and physical. Talk to your friends and family. Dont bottle up your feelings. We are all human and fragile. Get over this period and you will rise to the top. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Electronic Writer

Not trinity specific , but , I know people who changed course in the engineering family of courses at the end of 1 year , because they only liked some of the course and that first year only showed them what they were truly interested in and what they hadn't an interest in.

They then chose a different course and were happier. 30 years on, they've built upon there successes to have even more success.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did engineering in trinity a long time ago. My best man and his wife repeated in first year when I started. Don’t worry about the social side of things.

Financially, trinity has hardship funds. Look into it and your options. Part time work is possible with a 35 hr + week it isn’t easy

Advertisement