Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

903 new safety camera zones

Options

Comments

Speed limits on roads are kind of a bit silly, although I can understand why they are in place.
    For example, 120 is the speed limit on the motorway.
    During summer, its bright out until late and generally good conditions. You could easily drive faster and be safe.
    During winter, sometimes there can be torrential rain / ice etc. You could easily drive 120 and be way too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Speak for yourself. With the death toll on the roads, I'm with the cops on this one.

I think the cops need to remember what the cameras are for. When people think they are being located at spots of unclear speed limit \ just as speed limits reduce, where there's no accidents, a perception of shooting fish in a barrel sets in.

The point of the cameras is to ensure speed adhered to at accident blackspots.
    Declaring almost every major road an accident blackspot ain't going to do that, or putting speed vans on roads where the accidents are low speed collisions in heavy traffic \ lane changing \ roundabouts.

Or has all pretence of that been dropped and now it's just a money gathering exercise.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I had many a Gaurd give out about the speed limit on N11 but they love it for catching people.... 60km/h section.... UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Money grab pure and simple.

Also the garda website is terrible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

If they were on a 30km zone like the n3 slip on to m50 they would catch hundreds of people as no one sticks to that speed, ridiculous speed limit for the road it’s on, terribly designed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I can only find the longitude and latitude of these new points. Has anyone dropped pins on a map? OPs post to the google maps link doesn’t work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭creedp

Duckjob wrote: »
    It's not the cars that are the problem - its the fools behind the wheel whose sense of entitlement / macho / self importance so often far outweighs their driving competence.

Take even a single metric - the number of incidents on the M50 every day of every week. Drivers can't even drive safely at 50kph for sh*t. What makes you think they'll do any better with the same proven incompetence at 150kph ?

And yet the focus continues to be on enforcing speed limits … you can have all the speed cameras you want and yet there will be little or no enforcement of sanctions against people who are simply bad drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Speed limits on roads are kind of a bit silly, although I can understand why they are in place.
    For example, 120 is the speed limit on the motorway.
    During summer, its bright out until late and generally good conditions. You could easily drive faster and be safe.
    During winter, sometimes there can be torrential rain / ice etc. You could easily drive 120 and be way too fast.
    It's a speed limit, not a speed target.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think the cops need to remember what the cameras are for. When people think they are being located at spots of unclear speed limit \ just as speed limits reduce, where there's no accidents, a perception of shooting fish in a barrel sets in.

Declaring almost every major road an accident blackspot ain't going to do that, or putting speed vans on roads where the accidents are low speed collisions in heavy traffic \ lane changing \ roundabouts.

Or has all pretence of that been dropped and now it's just a money gathering exercise.

The 'money gathering exercise' costs us about €10 million each year. That's two schools not being built each year, because drivers won't obey speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Speak for yourself. With the death toll on the roads, I'm with the cops on this one.

I’m all for road safety but the majority of this is a money grab.

Honestly, are you really old enough to have a licence? :rolleyes:

Maybe when you have the same driving experience as me on irish roads ( approx 1000 miles a week in the last 30 years and never an accident ) maybe you’ll be more educated to reply to my posts. Kindly attack the post and not the poster, i believe bans are issued for that

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »

I find it funny cops are claiming they are putting them in speed prone collisions but yet they admit the survey vans were put out to see where the most speeding areas were, guess they can’t make up there mind which is true.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m all for road safety but the majority of this is a money grab.

Except it doesn't grab money. It costs money.

Except it doesn't grab money. It costs money.

Exactly , if it’s costing the authorities money the more eager they will be to collect money to fill the hole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Drive from Dublin to Galway today, saw 3 Traffic Corps speed checks on the M6. None were in these high risk areas. Hard not to be sceptical about the motivation behind this.

Yet they are failing people on their driving test everyday for "not making progress" when they are only slightly below the speed limit or taken some extra time to ensure its safe to make a turn.

Wonder were the bad habit comes from?

Exactly , if it’s costing the authorities money the more eager they will be to collect money to fill the hole.

It doesn't 'fill the hole'. It goes into a completely different budget.

But there is one great way to avoid the money grab if you're that concerned about it.

Stop speeding.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe when you have the same driving experience as me on irish roads ( approx 1000 miles a week in the last 30 years and never an accident ) maybe you’ll be more educated to reply to my posts. Kindly attack the post and not the poster, i believe bans are issued for that
    Ignoring the fact that you have absolutely no idea how much or how little I drive, OK then...
    I can tell you i’ll burn out my headlights to warn drivers.
    Aside from you breaking the law, the gardai don't catch people who aren't breaking the law through speeding. If you speed (and most of us do), then fine but accept the punishment that comes with it. Don't go facilitating the dopey eejits who are a danger to others.
    Many drivers out there have no ability to see beyond what they want to see at normal speeds. Helping them break the law through speeding makes the roads more dangerous.
    As someone who is frequently classed as a vulnerable road user, I have a pain in my arse with people who think it's fine to speed past me with next to no thought simply because they reckon its safe.
    It’s really people versus the cops these days
    This is childish nonsense!
    You're trying to make it seem like there's a war on and the gardai are out to screw the regular person which we both know is not the case (despite your melodrama).

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

ah grand no more speeding [till we get past the cameras] easy targets, how about a few drug dealer camera's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I can only find the longitude and latitude of these new points. Has anyone dropped pins on a map? OPs post to the google maps link doesn’t work for me.

I thought the link didn’t work either, till I changed google maps to default view with no traffic. Then I could see black lines everywhere. I think the point of this map is that they can park that gosafe van just about anywhere.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You could be driving like a clown for 1000 miles a week for 30 years. I know plenty of crap drivers that have been driving for 20+ years with no accidents. Still wouldnt trust them to drive a nail.

Nope, sorry i respect my cars and other users on the road, never have even been beeped or flashed at or caught speeding in 15 years, so you’re making a wrong assumption there.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Drive from Dublin to Galway today, saw 3 Traffic Corps speed checks on the M6. None were in these high risk areas. Hard not to be sceptical about the motivation behind this.

Depends on how fast someone is going around other drivers as to how much of a risk there is.

Ignoring the fact that you have absolutely no idea how much or how little I drive, OK then...

Aside from you breaking the law, the gardai don't catch people who aren't breaking the law through speeding. If you speed (and most of us do), then fine but accept the punishment that comes with it. Don't go facilitating the dopey eejits who are a danger to others.
    Many drivers out there have no ability to see beyond what they want to see at normal speeds. Helping them break the law through speeding makes the roads more dangerous.
    As someone who is frequently classed as a vulnerable road user, I have a pain in my arse with people who think it's fine to speed past me with next to no thought simply because they reckon its safe.

This is childish nonsense!
    You're trying to make it seem like there's a war on and the gardai are out to screw the regular person which we both know is not the case (despite your melodrama).

Firstly there is no specific law against flashing your lights, maybe you should brush up on the traffic laws if you’re driving on the road?

What’s with the chip on your shoulder if someone wants to pass you out? Are you one of those? How do you know they were over the limit just because you were driving slow? I gather you had a speed measuring device? Did they overtake with a car coming head on? Was it a white line they overtook on? There seems to be a lot of road users that get offended if someone overtakes.

I’ll overtake a car whether it’s you or anybody else if i deem it safe to do so.

It doesn't 'fill the hole'. It goes into a completely different budget.

But there is one great way to avoid the money grab if you're that concerned about it.

Stop speeding.

Who said i was speeding? I haven’t been caught in 15 years . If it’s costing money they will be eager to collect it.

Nope, sorry i respect my cars and other users on the road,
    How is flashing your headlamps (to the point they burn out) to warn other drivers of a speed trap respecting other road users?
    How does you helping others to potentially drive dangerously respect someone walking along the road? How does it respect the kid cycling home from school? Or the person on horseback?
    Get over yourself!

Firstly there is no specific law against flashing your lights, maybe you should brush up on the traffic laws if you’re driving on the road?
    Maybe double check it's illegality again!
    What’s with the chip on your shoulder if someone wants to pass you out? Are you one of those? How do you know they were over the limit just because you were driving slow? I gather you had a speed measuring device? Did they overtake with a car coming head on? Was it a white line they overtook on? There seems to be a lot of road users that get offended if someone overtakes.

I’ll overtake a car whether it’s you or anybody else if i deem it safe to do so.
    I didn't say you shouldn't overtake. I merely suggested that your actions encourage dangerous driving.
    I use roads as a driver, as a cyclist and as a pedestrian. If your actions to warn people of a speed trap put me or someone else in danger then you are in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Is there any app or system that we could use to have our phones or GPS indicate that we are entering into an enforcement zone. I can't find the list on the Garda website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I bet you're one of those 80kp/h drivers in the 100. You cause more accidents than the lad going a few km/h over.

How is thrashing your headlamps (to the point they burn out) to warn other drivers of a speed trap respecting other road users?
    How does you helping others to potentially drive dangerously respect someone walking along the road? How does it respect the kid cycling home from school? Or the person on horseback?
    Get over yourself!

So just because i flash the lights it means i’m driving awful bad? Did you know that when you flash your lights people slow down? That can go for horse riders and children. If i see some hazard on the road i will flash too so your logic is pointless and shows your inexperience on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

In a nut shell the bone of contention is a digital law for an analog reality.

• Advertisement

So just because i flash the lights it means i’m driving awful bad? Did you know that when you flash your lights people slow down? That can go for horse riders and children. If i see some hazard on the road i will flash too so your logic is pointless and shows your inexperience on the road.
    I apologise. You're a hero. Well done you!
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement