Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DS to reveal the DS8

Options
  • 21-02-2020 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

ds-model-teaser.jpg

The new sedan is to be revealed on Facebook on 24th February next, ahead of the Geneva Motor Show. Expected to be called a DS8 here in Europe, but it could be called a DS9, same as it will be in China. DS Automobiles intend to take on the likes of the E-Class and the 5 Series with this 4.93m long flagship. It's based on the Chinese Peugeot 508L (see below), which is a long wheelbase version of the European 508, but it has standard doors (not frameless) and a saloon boot (not a fastback). The interior will be similar to the DS7 Crossback. I'm not expecting it to be a right hand drive, so probably not coming to Ireland or the UK.

https://www.motor1.com/news/399741/ds-sedan-teased-february-debut/

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ds/103478/new-2020-ds-9-flagship-saloon-teased-ahead-of-geneva-reveal

Bilder-DS-8-2020-1200x800-e532b48278206cb8.jpg

Bilder-DS-8-2020-1200x800-0d7967bbd0fa3108.jpg

Here's two leaked photos of the DS9 from China.
    503402.jpg
    503404.jpg

Here's the Peugeot 508L which the DS8.
    503405.jpg

503407.jpg

The European 508 vs Chinese 508L
    503408.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Large Citroens have sold so well recently, of course...

I probably had the most reliable Citroen in the world, got to 300k without letting me down once although it was broken in to - a lot - and in quite poor nick due to that. So I have actually considered a DS3, but I don't think there is any market left for a big Citroen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If only I had a cent for every time I read a press releases for these cars and they start with "Taking on the likes of the E Class and 5 Series". These marketing departments must just copy and paste the same thing every time.

The car hardly anyone will buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have to admire them for persisting.

It’ll probably do well in China. They have a bit of a foothold there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L1011 wrote: »
    Large Citroens have sold so well recently, of course...

I probably had the most reliable Citroen in the world, got to 300k without letting me down once although it was broken in to - a lot - and in quite poor nick due to that. So I have actually considered a DS3, but I don't think there is any market left for a big Citroen anymore.

France still has a President.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It will make a nice Bangeromics in 2030...:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Looks too much like the 508 to me, I don't really get the point in the DS brand if they're not going to make cars that are any way unique.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Marcusm wrote: »
    France still has a President.

As Richard Porter once sort-of said (I'm paraphrasing hugely) about a huge Renault, the market for cars for middle aged executives to rush around Paris to their next affair isn't big enough to keep a model going!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Looks too much like the 508 to me, I don't really get the point in the DS brand if they're not going to make cars that are any way unique.

They could at least make them different from the rest and go back to putting proper suspension on them.

The world is a slightly worse place without hydropneumatic Citroens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L1011 wrote: »
    As Richard Porter once sort-of said (I'm paraphrasing hugely) about a huge Renault, the market for cars for middle aged executives to rush around Paris to their next affair isn't big enough to keep a model going!

France maintains a 14-15% stake in each of them and, irrespective of the party in power, continues a strategy of industrial intervention. The last couple of presidents have been relative midgets but I expect that, even if coach built, there will continue to be a large Franchise sourced car. I doubt the DS7 will get a second run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They could at least make them different from the rest and go back to putting proper suspension on them.

The world is a slightly worse place without hydropneumatic Citroens

They tried to be different too with the large French car- the Renault Val Satis which was an even bigger flop than the standard luxo barge.
    I like the idea of DS as a brand and the recent ones are good cars there is no doubt like the DS7. Just very hard for them to have credibility over the German big three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

road_high wrote: »
    They tried to be different too with the large French car- the Renault Val Satis which was an even bigger flop than the standard luxo barge.
    I like the idea of DS as a brand and the recent ones are good cars there is no doubt like the DS7. Just very hard for them to have credibility over the German big three.

I much preferred french stuff tbh.

I had 2 Safranes and wanted to go to a Vel Satis a few years ago. Nearly pulled the trigger on an Avantime but couldn't justify running a 3.0 petrol at the time.

Drove a Xantia for a few years and loved it, only gave it up because I needed a van for work and didnt want to wreck it. Came very close to having an XM too but couldnt find the right one in auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I much preferred french stuff tbh.

I had 2 Safranes and wanted to go to a Vel Satis a few years ago. Nearly pulled the trigger on an Avantime but couldn't justify running a 3.0 petrol at the time.

Drove a Xantia for a few years and loved it, only gave it up because I needed a van for work and didnt want to wreck it. Came very close to having an XM too but couldnt find the right one in auto.

Unfortunately there's no return on investment for these large French cars- the larger SUVs seems to be a lot more viable like the 5008 which sells far better than any of these ever sold.

Advertisement