Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals are here for us to kill, eat..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The second rule is treat all animals as if they are human. If a cat kills a mouse he should be arrested for murder in their deluded minds.

You just made that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

All these threads are started by non vegans who feel insecure about the very existence of vegans for some reason

I hear smug blowhards complaining about pushy vegans one hundred times as often as I encounter pushy vegans. Every vegan I have met in person has been a lovely person, and every single person I have met who felt the need to complain about vegans has been unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Zillah wrote: »
    I hear smug blowhards complaining about pushy vegans one hundred times as often as I encounter pushy vegans.

Every vegan I have met in person has been a lovely person, and every single person I have met who felt the need to complain about vegans has been unbearable.

Not really a realistic viewpoint is it tbh? Humans are humans - there's all types of eejits in every walk of life

This from a previous posters comment which I think about covers it ...
    I’ve a problem with extremist vegan groups, your average vegan is of no interest to me, they’re just doing their own thing which is what we all have a right to do without abuse or ridicule or anybody trying to take our choices away from us.

The OP explained that they were been baraged on social media - hence the thread. They don't come across as a 'smug blowhard' (sic) by any means imo.

I don't believe the OP was referring to the 'average ' person here tbh and that's the point. Suggesting that any criticism somehow makes a person 'unbearable' is daft. It also seems to suggest that no matter what - no criticism is permitted else the risk being labelled and accused of being "smug blowhards" or words to that effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Did you ever hear of fishing quotas that have been around for years they were brought in to prevent over dissing and there are still plenty fish in the sea.

Nope

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/chippy-closes-after-deciding-theres-not-plenty-more-fish-in-the-sea-935727.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I'm not a vegan. And I see you didn't address my point about ethics. That doesn't surprise me, because most of the reactionary anti-vegan cretins on this site and elsewhere are just shallow losers without the moral courage or discipline to find or eat ethically farmed meat. Get back to your half eaten three euro spicy chicken roll with bacon fat boy.

Also, I've worked in a meat packing plant and been involved in animal slaughter, whilst let's face it, your formative life experiences consist of repeated trips to the deli counter in your local Supervalu.

I'm laughing at the idea you think you even know where your meat is coming from. :rolleyes:

My meat comes straight from the field because I’m the one pulling the trigger as it’s about to eat it’s last meal.
    Try again princess

• Advertisement

John Rambo everyone. John Rambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Far more animals are killed to produce vegan food, but we dont talk about that.

klopparama wrote: »
    If I can’t understand you’re some sort of fictional robotic character capable of the above ?

Well I’m afraid I don’t believe that.

And if you’re human then I also don’t believe the above.

No point in being jealous. I don’t miss. Simple as that. Because I find myself rarely able to take the shot unless it’s safe or definite kill. Like every respectful hunter you don’t shoot unless it’s on.
    Aim small miss small

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Chiparus wrote: »

Like the soy that is imported to feed cows?

No point in being jealous. I don’t miss. Simple as that. Because I find myself rarely able to take the shot unless it’s safe or definite kill. Like every respectful hunter you don’t shoot unless it’s on.
    Aim small miss small

Hunting. The game where no one misses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'm not a vegan. And I see you didn't address my point about ethics. That doesn't surprise me, because most of the reactionary anti-vegan cretins on this site and elsewhere are just shallow losers without the moral courage or discipline to find or eat ethically farmed meat. Get back to your half eaten three euro spicy chicken roll with bacon fat boy.

Also, I've worked in a meat packing plant and been involved in animal slaughter, whilst let's face it, your formative life experiences consist of repeated trips to the deli counter in your local Supervalu.

I'm laughing at the idea you think you even know where your meat is coming from. :rolleyes:

My meat comes straight from the field because I’m the one pulling the trigger as it’s about to eat it’s last meal.
    Try again princess
    The worms will have a field day with you. They're licking their lips, watching your every move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, but its not the cuddly animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well that is not true.

Just on what animals including beef cattle are fed in this country. Grazing and fodder make up the bulk of what is fed to cattle - over and above this is mostly supplementary type feed. Now for those getting wet thinking about all the 'grain and soy ' fed to cattle - the fact is the bulk of that is made up of by-products or waste from human food production..

This from the FAO.

The "study determines that 86% of livestock feed is not suitable for human consumption. If not consumed by livestock, crop residues and by-products could quickly become an environmental burden as the human population grows and consumes more and more processed food."

http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/home/en/news_archive/2017_More_Fuel_for_the_Food_Feed.html

And that also goes for all that soy grown. The soy used in animal feed is largely derived from the primary processing of soy beans for soya oil. After the oil is extracted , what is left over is processed into animal feeds - this includes the outer shell of the soy bean called the husk and the pulp or 'meal' from which the oil has been extracted.

So there it is - all of the soy grown in south America for the primary extraction of soya oil of which afaik the processed food industry and China are the biggest users. If the left over meal wasnt been fed to cattle and other animals - they'd be most likely land spreading it as waste somewhere ...

Short version: Cattle eat grass. Humans cannot eat grass. This is good because grass grows exceptionally well in this country where many crops would struggle to grow commercially. Most of the rest of what cattle eat are the leftovers of the human food industry.

Also meat eaters eat vegan food too and cows eat vegan food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Greyfox wrote: »
    The reality is amazing people do care about all living things but most people are like myself in that they only care about what's close to them

Ultimitaly is comes down to the fact that meat tastes 100 times better than any vegetable and giving up meat after a lifetime of eating it is so so difficult

Not.. I stopped eating most meat because of the cost etc years ago after a long, long life of beef etc. Did not ever miss it and now yukk. Now good fresh vegetables are wonderful. I occasionally stray into a little bacon or chicken. maybe twice a week but never beef or lamb etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You just made that up.

Did you ever hear vegans going on about murdering animals in slaughter houses? If not you might want to pull your head out of the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Zillah wrote: »
    I hear smug blowhards complaining about pushy vegans one hundred times as often as I encounter pushy vegans. Every vegan I have met in person has been a lovely person, and every single person I have met who felt the need to complain about vegans has been unbearable.

Did you ever hear of Joey crabbrain and his followers? A lovely person for sure.

Did you ever hear of Joey crabbrain and his followers? A lovely person for sure.

Who on earth is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I can guarantee it. I’ve been shooting since childhood. I learned from my mistakes at a young age and was brought up proper in hunting. I won’t shoot unless it’s safe and guarantee to be a kill shot.
    Now if you can’t understand that then that’s your problem not mine

This made me laugh. Would you quit. There is absolutely no way that anyone can guarantee a 100% kill shot off a moving animal with a shotgun. No matter how good you are. And I’m someone who use to do a lot of shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

All these threads are started by non vegans who feel insecure about the very existence of vegans for some reason

So true! Including the usual people responding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Can't believe vegans drink water. That's a fishes house, you f'king animals!!!

Can't believe vegans drink water. That's a fishes house, you f'king animals!!!

Almost as bad as some of your comments on the journal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Iv tried to cut down on meat myself alot. I eat chicken and fish mainly but not everyday. Iv tried to just eat veg as much as possible.
    Processed meat is disgusting if you think about it. There are 7 billion people in the world. Only 200 years ago there was 2 billion. Thats alot of animals to feed 7 billion and alot of green house gasses from cattle and so on.
    I heard recently that there is more carbon emissions from cattle farming in ireland than cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I heard recently that there is more carbon emissions from cattle farming in ireland than cars.

Internal combustion engines produce lots of carbon, cattle produce lots of methane. Both are greenhouse gases but methane does much more harm. At least in the short term, methane disperses faster than carbon.

This made me laugh. Would you quit. There is absolutely no way that anyone can guarantee a 100% kill shot off a moving animal with a shotgun. No matter how good you are. And I’m someone who use to do a lot of shooting.

I don’t use a shotgun. You obviously gave it up because you couldn’t hit water if you fell out of a boat.
    I was out hunting this evening and shot two foxes. Could’ve gotten another two but the shot wasn’t safe nor could I guarantee the kill.
    Obviously you were one of them that shot because they seen the animal instead of the shot placement.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    The worms will have a field day with you. They're licking their lips, watching your every move.

Worms. You want to explain that one or do you just assume shït like most here

tuxy wrote: »
    Internal combustion engines produce lots of carbon, cattle produce lots of methane. Both are greenhouse gases but methane does much more harm. At least in the short term, methane disperses faster than carbon.

During the Juasic period - 250 million years ago, dinosaurs that roamed the Earth, lived in a world with five times more carbon dioxide than is present on Earth today, 

The Jurassic Period lasted approximately 54 million years...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

gozunda wrote: »
    During the Juasic period - 250 million years ago, dinosaurs that roamed the Earth, lived in a world with five times more carbon dioxide than is present on Earth today, 

The Jurassic Period lasted approximately 54 million years...

So basically the dinosaurs had 54 million years to evolve and adapt to their environment. Animals alive today have been evolving over millions of years but the environment is changing too quickly now for them to be able to adapt and survive.

• Advertisement

So basically the dinosaurs had 54 million years to evolve and adapt to their environment. Animals alive today have been evolving over millions of years but the environment is changing too quickly now for them to be able to adapt and survive.

The 54 million years just relates to the Jurasic.
    Afaik scientists reckoned CO2 levels also rose fairly quickly then. In total the Dinosaurs were around for 179 million years. There were lots of different evolutionary stages of Dinosaurs as well and over time various species either died out or evolved and continued on. They were only finally wiped out 66 million years ago by a Asteroid impact in the Yucatan peninsula. Bit of a buger that tbh....

Imo the difference this time is humans. Many species of wild animals are already under increased pressure from all forms of human activities.

Advertisement