Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny shops that are no more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Ye- I remember that.They has a glass serving hatch onto High Street can't remember if there was an seated area inside .I was very narrow maybe one door up from the Credit union.
    Yep,had seating inside,used to love their knickerbocker glory:DJeez,that wasnt today or yesterday:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

brettmirl wrote: »
    Wasn't there 2 or 3 story clothes shop between where the credit union is and the Butter Slip - can anyone remember the name?

Think it was called Bourkes.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

mfitzy wrote: »
    Think it was called Bourkes.
    Ye I think your right Bourkes "Worth will Tell"
    Do you remember a Chocolate dispenser on the wall of the Ulster bank ,I can only imagine it was refilled by the either of the sweet shops close by Whites or Mooney's.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Tom Bretts shop,Gaol Road.
    Mrs. Ceasers sweet shop,Stephens St,beside C.B.S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Kerbdog2007

Great thread! Really miss the army surplus store. Used to buy all my work clothes there - looked like rambo heading to work every morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

I no longer live in Kilkenny but the closing of the Monster House was a sad day for Kilkenny. I think the family still have small shop at the side. Is that correct? Architecturally it had a beautiful front but inside, by the time it closed ,it was pretty run down. Obviously, stores like that can no longer really compete against the chain stores but replacing it with Supermacs was a monumental mistake.

I know it created employment but I really wonder how it got permission. One really wonders if you know what I mean..

I no longer live in Kilkenny but the closing of the Monster House was a sad day for Kilkenny. I think the family still have small shop at the side. Is that correct? Architecturally it had a beautiful front but inside, by the time it closed ,it was pretty run down. Obviously, stores like that can no longer really compete against the chain stores but replacing it with Supermacs was a monumental mistake.

I know it created employment but I really wonder how it got permission. One really wonders if you know what I mean..
    Ó Briens sweet shop in James Street, 1 Gold Bond 3d
    I was in the CBS primary school when Ceasers closing down sale was on.I tempted to by a bottle of Glyserene,thought is was the real deal Nitro.Could of had some real fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 theresab

:confused: Does anyone remember or know of a ladies clothes shop in Rose inn street I think was called Piert's they also had a gents shop/drapery or remember or know of a lady who worked in the ladies shop called Johanna Dermody - this would probably be from the 1940's to 1960's/70's I guesse, I understand the shops as they were are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I believe there was a Home and Colonial near the Ulster Bank and there was a brill shop that sold pens and jewellery and wallpaper nearby and no one mentioned the doughnut shop, still can't buy a decent one and do not mention Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

...and no one mentioned the doughnut shop, still can't buy a decent one and do not mention Superquinn.

Was that Bradbury's. They still have a shop open in Athy.

• Advertisement

thanks for a quick response will remember next time we go that way, any one know a decent doughnut shop elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

Griffins on Rose Inn St. was cool in a 'brown' kind of way.
    Buting singles in Woolworths (Chic - I Want Your Love was my first.. kind of funny that I bought disco and I dance like a ****)
    My dad buying and eating Nougat in Mooneys though FTW!

Oh, and that veterinary supplies? shop on Parliament Street.. name escapes me?[/QUOTE

The vet supplies was Murthaghs he went off to farm deer...

Mc Cheerys now king shoes
    Delahuntys on high st now monsoon market cross etc
    Joe o'neill chemist now sam mc caulies

what was the name of the tobbacinst where the ground floor is now?

I remember Elliots roast chickens....
    Crrotys backery in parlement st noe reidy Ins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Wrays Lighting Emporium on Patrick street.
    Stathams Ford garage on Patrick Street.
    Willoughbys Jewellers with the clock in the window facing up Patrick Street(now on the wall facing down Rose Inn Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Anyone remember the pound shop oh high street POUNDSWORTH it was beside dores butchers and is now a vodaphone shop I worked there for a few years , oh the memories!!

Tylers shoes on high St
    I think it's that french kids clothed shop

Dores optician used to be a pub the Rose Inn..???

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

brettmirl wrote: »
    Not really a shop, but does anyone remember the original chip van that used to be on the parade? It was yellow and white. Used to be inside Nowlan Park on match days too.
    Yes it was andy odriscoll and his wife they had fab chips
    Can anyone remember the jewellers on rose inn st beside sid harkins
    .......... fitzpatricks.

what about the best fag shop on high st Ryans, where ground floor is, there was a small coffee shop up near the post office, i think it became a shoe shop after, of course further down parliament st we had the phone shop now after various comings and goings is the italian restaurant and well worth a visit.

hughmace wrote: »
    Tylers shoes on high St
    I think it's that french kids clothed shop

Dores optician used to be a pub the Rose Inn..???

Ye,I think one of the Clancy Brothers had it for a while " THE JUG OF PUNCH" also became the "BLACK AND AMBER INN" me thinks.:confused:

Dohenny the butcher next to the post office and next door to that browns haberdashers, how about o'keefes hardware shop by the town hall, and carrigans sport shop where Byrnes world of wonder was, how about tommy's tile and hardware in barrack st, the indian restaurant in Pennyfeather lane, happy days?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

my earliest memory is my mum driving me down town in the old fiat 127 to get my hair cut by Des Rush(friary st I think?) some vague memory he was a red haired guy with a beard.....i was about 3 so late 70's. Also who can forget chasing Phil Larkin for about 4 weeks to fix the f&&cin' gears on the raleigh grifter! And trying to find your bike in the stack of bikes he had in the shed!! Is the shop still open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

This is a great thread. It may be 5 years old but i just shouted out in laughter about the egg stain on the screen in the cinema, the bubbles before each movie and the old dragons that ran it. Was it the Metropole? Was the only 1 left after they closed down the Savoy i think.
    I got thrown out of that cinema during "Fletch" in 1985/86.

What a wonderful place it was in the 80's, I miss those days so much.
    i remember the egg stain alright! i remember the lad that threw it too. i wont name him here but he was always around town wearing a bikers jacket and had a mohican for a long time.
    have not seen him around in years though, maybe being banned from the regent was too much for him.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

remember the hardware shop at greens bridge? cant think of the name, was it byrnes? there was also a vetinary supplies shop beside it. there was also a really cool hardware/tool shop beside where the left bank is now in patrick st. i think its a coffee shop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

The Aurora take away in Rose inn street.
    Abracadabra is there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

manus30 wrote: »
    remember the hardware shop at greens bridge? cant think of the name, was it byrnes? there was also a vetinary supplies shop beside it. there was also a really cool hardware/tool shop beside where the left bank is now in patrick st. i think its a coffee shop now.

Don't think it was a hardware shop at Greensbridge, wasn't it a car accessory shop (Stone's ) I think !. The hardware shop in Patrick St was McGrath's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Rantan wrote: »
    my earliest memory is my mum driving me down town in the old fiat 127 to get my hair cut by Des Rush(friary st I think?) some vague memory he was a red haired guy with a beard.....i was about 3 so late 70's. Also who can forget chasing Phil Larkin for about 4 weeks to fix the f&&cin' gears on the raleigh grifter! And trying to find your bike in the stack of bikes he had in the shed!! Is the shop still open?

Seamie Bulger for me, wasn't there a chippers up there across from Brennans?. I do believe Larkins is still going, someone told me he fixes the An Post bikes, I do all my own repairs.

Brian Stones was the hardware/ auto shop, don't remember a vetinary supplies, only Mulhalls bakery but they did sell dog food in bulk bags. Down there also you had Renehans Opel garage across the road where Classic furniture was.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Stones car parts shops
    Murtaghs was the vet shop after he sold his chemist on parliament St he had this for a few years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

hughmace wrote: »
    Stones car parts shops
    Murtaghs was the vet shop after he sold his chemist on parliament St he had this for a few years

Ah yes, I remember now, was there a normal shop in there for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Seamie Bulger for me, wasn't there a chippers up there across from Brennans?. I do believe Larkins is still going, someone told me he fixes the An Post bikes, I do all my own repairs.

..good on you, so do I, as an eight year old I needed a bit of help with the gears though, a bit useless an all...
    what was the the supermaket that used to be up around fr hayden road/fiacre place?it was like a centra or londis before they took over the corner shops,

Rantan wrote: »

..good on you, so do I, as an eight year old I needed a bit of help with the gears though, a bit useless an all...
    what was the the supermaket that used to be up around fr hayden road/fiacre place?it was like a centra or londis before they took over the corner shops,

That was Buster Leahy's now appartments :confused:

• Advertisement

The Flame and Moriarity's Butchers in the Arcade. What was the pub called where the Brógmaker is now?

Advertisement