Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First ever mustard experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Happy memories. It was left over bake ham form sunday lunch on a french baguette with colemans english mustard. The first sensation of the sinus burn and eye watering did it for me. I love it. Love it. Great with ham, beef and lamb. and everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thejockey06

doonothing wrote: »
    i was oh so young, and my uncle was having mustard. curious as an ill-fated cat, i asked what it was.
    "oh sure, try some..."
    then gives me a gigantic, heaped tablespoonful of it.
    my how i kicked...

same here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭LorDar

My first memory of mustard is Colman's English variety & my parents used it as a deterrent - I was a thumb sucker as a child & when all else failed they used to dip my thumb into the mustard to stop me putting it in my mouth!!

Here we are 35 years later & I'm still a thumb sucker!! Guess it didn't work very well!
    I like most mustards now, but Colman's English mustard is an exception! It still brings back the bad memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

My first experience was when the mustard-monster violated me.

Love mustard ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Im 17 and a mustard virgin....
    I may have had it by accindent in other times without knowing. But
    I have never asked for mustard.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

My Grandad gave me a sandwich when I was of a tender age... about seven or so.. he slathered about half an inch of mustard onto it and took much delight as I chomped into it. He use to crack up for 10 years afterwards whenever the memory of it occured to him.

When I was last in Germany I had a steak with fresh horseradish grated over it... wow! Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 niamhy84

i will never ever touch mustard EVER! the only memory i have of that horrible stuff is my babysitter put it on my thumb to stop me suckin it..:o
    how mean is that??!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madra-rua

I used to stick out my tongue at people a lot when I was a child and one day my mother squirted a big load of mustard onto it when I stuck it out ... bit yucky at first but I still enjoy mustard on ham sandwiches :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Nearly chokin to death when me friend made me a ham sambo lathered in Colman's :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Cant remember my first mustard experience but I'llbet my brother will never forget his.

He was 4 or 5 and I told him that the Colemans Finest English on the dinner table was a jar of peanut butter and that he should get a spoonful of the stuff for hismelf before everyone ate some.

15 seconds later he was tearing around the house, hands waving in the air screaming from the burn.

Possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen.

I did this at my grand parents house, think I was even about the same age. Didn't think it was peanut butter though just thought 'Oh that looks interesting' and my god was it. I was running around the dining room for what seemed like an hour and wasn't able to speak to tell anyone what was wrong with me. I swear it took about 2 days for the burning in my mouth and my eye watering to stop. But it never stopped me from trying it again (smaller portions after that) and now it is part of my daily life it goes on everything!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

when i was a kid and cursed i git a spoon full of it.... it shut me up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

My first experience was probably on the Burger King hamburgers. They had something that other ones did not; a gloopy yellow sauce which I later learned was called Mustard.

I put the sandwich in my mouth and my eyes watered with the hotness of this special condiment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My uncle gave me a big spoon of yellow stuff when I was about three and said it was custard but when I ate it, it was mustard and I was very upset. Couldn't eat mustard OR custard for years after. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Posy wrote: »
    My uncle gave me a big spoon of yellow stuff when I was about three and said it was custard but when I ate it, it was mustard and I was very upset. Couldn't eat mustard OR custard for years after. :(
    So you dont like custard with hot mustard then?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

As long as I can remember, my da makes the ham and the mustard on christmas eve. It's only recently I've discovered the joys of mustard on other types of food. Man, I love mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Getting a roast ham sandwich from Christoffes on Abbey St (sadly gone now :( ) and the young lady serving me mixing up my condiment selection. Mhmm, dijon mayonaisse and some hot hot English.
    Convert for life after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 raptor twin

Yass with the Ham olso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Brennans pan. 3 Slices. Butter 1st slice. 2 slices of Denny/Shaws crumbed ham. Put Colmans mustard on to ham. Butter 2nd slice. Place on top. Butter top side of 2nd slice of bread. Place favourite cheese on top. I went for red a red cheddar slice. Another slice of ham. Don't butter last slice of bread. Put Colmans on to it. Place on top. Presto.

Made a mighty sambo for my 1st mustard experience. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

don't remember my own first taste,but i do my youngest brother.my and my other brother bet him 50p if he ate a teaspoon full of english mustard.he gulped it down then started coughing and spluttering but swallowed it,and then stuck out his hand for the money :)
    i thought he would boilover after but he didn't:)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

I was on an Aeroflot flight Shannon to Miami and this man was being obnoxious to a group of Russian school children en route to Santiago Chile from Moscow, like ignoring their silent desire to use the bathroom whilst he was pontificating to some ladies, the Stewardess asked him if he would like a sandwich "yes I would with loads of MUSTARD" well he must never heard of Mr Colman and wolfed into this non Dijon and did we enjoy watching smoke come out his ears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

When I was a little kid my mum's best friend used to put it on my tongue whenever I said a curse or stuck out my tongue :p.

Just stumbled accross this thread, I had no idea it was such a common form of torture - thought I was alone in my agony - we should set up a mustard torture victims group!

Got reintroduced via French Wholegrain Dijon mustard as an adult, way superior to that Coleman's English, which I will have an aversion to for the rest of my life! Do Coleman's know their product was/is used as a widespread form of torture?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

Anyone ever use mustard in the bedroom???

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

hahaha thats hilarious, your uncle has a sense of humour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Anyone ever use mustard in the bedroom???
    I'm sure it could be used like ginger?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

My old man used to use it as a deterrent to stop us stealing his sandwiches when we were kids....then I reached my teens and discovered it was friggin' delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanie13

my childhood experience of coleman's mustard has scarred me for life...as a child my mother used it when I said bad language but the worst part was I must have been quite small because I could not reach the tap of the kitchen sink so I used to run around wailing with my tongue hanging out....today, close to 40 I still refuse to have mustard anywhere near my food and it must be true that opposites attract because my husband eats the stuff like it's going out of fashion..mustard sandwiches are his favourite...I have used a small bit of dijon as part of a Jamie Oliver homemade burger recipe but did not enjoy the meal as I spent the whole time having flashbacks of a searingly hot tongue and running around like a headless chicken with my mother telling me not to use such foul language in our home!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

My Grandad introduced me to Colman's powdered mustard, made up to a pungent, firey extra for boiled ham when I was a little 'un. Too powerful for me then, when I was twenty I started adding the Colman's English to my hang sangwidges, and haven't looked back since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Started on Coleman's. Nasty crap. Dijon is far better.

Advertisement