Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York - go after Christmas or wait til Spring?

• 21-10-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at visiting NYC for a couple of days just after Christmas and coming back before New Year's.
    Can't be there over either so only have that few days to play with.
    Is it a nice time to visit? I see a lot of the Xmas markets will have closed but surely some of the Christmas buzz will still be there?

I could stall the trip and go in April however but I'm just wondering would I miss any of the 'magic' of a winter visit?
    I'm not overly concerned about the price of flights as I am restricted time wise.
    I've never been.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you want the magic of a winter visit, I'd go at Thanksgiving when the cold weather (usually) hasn't arrived yet and attractions like the Rockefeller Center skating rink are in full swing and the stores are decked out with Christmas decorations.

The weather for Thanksgiving in late November is hit and miss, I've seen cops in short sleeve shirts but in another year, it was very cold but it was dry (no sleet or rain) and you could walk about no problem, there was no snow on the ground. But after Christmas you are guaranteed bitterly cold weather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I saw Christmas trees dumped in NYC on December 26th. They are on to New Year by then. I would go Springtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Springtime without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Cool. Thanks for the feedback!
    May as well get booking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

It’s generally the cheapest time of the year for hotels etc as the Christmas rush is gone and the madness of Paddy’s day etc hasn’t landed. Good hotel deals to be had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What’s NYC like in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What’s NYC like in October?

This is October, look at any one of the hundreds of weather websites and get the forecast for NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Just back from there, weather is fantastic. I've been there for late December early Jan before. Strong winds blowing -20 degrees will sort you out fast... If its your sort of thing . Go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement