Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I see the Schools Cup is getting it's format changed, with a group stage introduced for the lesser schools. They've introduced tiering for the schools. Three schools will be excluded from the competition entirely.

Means more games for the lower ranked teams before they're soundly dumped out of the competition.

Lacey and Clancy for Ulster on Friday night.

The Pro14 are some jokers inflicting that pair on us again.

Also have to say having three IRFU referees in a fixture involving an Irish team is some farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    I see the Schools Cup is getting it's format changed, with a group stage introduced for the lesser schools. They've introduced tiering for the schools. Three schools will be excluded from the competition entirely.

Means more games for the lower ranked teams before they're soundly dumped out of the competition.
    Great idea and next step would be some form of second chance within top cup for all sides. Though its a great first step.
    Lacey and Clancy for Ulster on Friday night.

The Pro14 are some jokers inflicting that pair on us again.

Also have to say having three IRFU referees in a fixture involving an Irish team is some farce.
    Ah stop. Theyre not that bad though Awec they'll be finished up soon enough so dont stop.
    Only this way because of lack of more referees from other pro14 nations

Great idea and next step would be some form of second chance within top cup for all sides. Though its a great first step.

Ah stop. Theyre not that bad though Awec they'll be finished up soon enough so dont stop.
    Only this way because of lack of more referees from other pro14 nations

There are 2 second chance trophies, the Schools Bowl and Schools Trophy.

Depending on when you are eliminated you enter one of those.

And yes, they are that bad. They are useless. Clancy reminded us all just a few weeks ago, in fairness we've been spared from the delights of Lacey for a while now. Why not Welsh / Italian / South African refs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

So you'd be happy with any of Ben Whitehouse, Jaco Peyper or Marius Mitrea then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

There are 2 second chance trophies, the Schools Bowl and Schools Trophy.

Depending on when you are eliminated you enter one of those.

And yes, they are that bad. They are useless. Clancy reminded us all just a few weeks ago, in fairness we've been spared from the delights of Lacey for a while now. Why not Welsh / Italian / South African refs?
    There is but would rather see more work within the main cup competition and chances within that.
    Theyre not that bad.
    Bazzo wrote: »
    So you'd be happy with any of Ben Whitehouse, Jaco Peyper or Marius Mitrea then?
    Marius can be grand a lot of the time
    Wont comment on whitehouse and all i'll say on peyper is cant understand how he deals with some foul play incidents as there's been some very very strange decisions around big foul play incidents in his games...

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

There is but would rather see more work within the main cup competition and chances within that.
    Theyre not that bad.

Marius can be grand a lot of the time
    Wont comment on whitehouse and all i'll say on peyper is cant understand how he deals with some foul play incidents as there's been some very very strange decisions around big foul play incidents in his games...

I have no issue with the vast majority of refs, was just pointing out that people moan about refs from everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Nothing wrong with Mitrea. Whitehouse is still relatively young. Peyper I can offer no excuse for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭launish116

Matt Faddes confirmed

• Advertisement

launish116 wrote: »
    Matt Faddes confirmed

Just seen bits and pieces on YouTube but he looks a good player.

Interesting to note that he visited in 2016. This seems to have been a signing a few years in the making. I wonder did we previously try to get him in as a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Matt Faddes is absolute quality - that is a very good signing byb Ulster

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

youre after getting a good 'un there

gonna miss him at the highlanders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ulster have the makings of a serious squad. If Jack McGrath regains form, they will be very formidable.
    I think they will be a force next season and possibly win some silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Matt Faddes, Sam Carter, Jack McGrath and Milasinovich.

Some really decent signings by Ulster so far to bolster what's seen as a decent young team with potential.

Matt Faddes, Sam Carter, Jack McGrath and Milasinovich.

Some really decent signings by Ulster so far to bolster what's seen as a decent young team with potential.

Possibly Bill Johnston as well

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭briandebum

Really can't overstate how much Ulster have turned things around in the space of 1 season. If you take a look at where they are now compared to last season it's night & day.

Some great signings on paper any way, combined with continued progression from the young lads and it should be a seriously competitive squad next year.

A lot of credit has to go to McFarland, just shows how quickly things can change when you nail a coaching choice. On the basis of this season he seems like future international coach material.

Someone on UAFC is suggesting Ludik may be fit for Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I reckon Faddes is one of those moneyball signings. And he gives hope to all men with receding hairlines. Ulster putting together a handy squad for 19/20 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I reckon Faddes is one of those moneyball signings. And he gives hope to all men with receding hairlines. Ulster putting together a handy squad for 19/20 season.

Matt Faddes and Will Addison in the same backline. Ulster really flying the banner for male pattern baldness awareness.

• Advertisement

Going to do the 1st team/2nd team thing for next season

1st XV. 2nd XV
    1 Jack McGrath. 1 Eric O'Sullivan
    2 Rob Herring. 2 Adam McBurney
    3 Marty Moore. 3 Ross Kane
    4 Iain Henderson. 4 Alan O'Connor
    5 Sam Carter. 5 Kieran Treadwell
    6 Nick Timoney. 6 Matthew Rea
    7 Jordi Murphy. 7 Sean Reidy
    8 Marcel Coetzee. 8 Marcus Rea
    9 John Cooney. 9 Dave Shanahan
    10 Billy Burns. 10 Mike Lowry
    11 Jacob Stockdale. 11 Rob Lyttle
    12 Stuart McCloskey. 12 Angus Curtis
    13 Luke Marshall 13 James Hume
    14 Matt Faddes. 14 Craig Gilroy
    15 Will Addison. 15 Louis Ludik

Others
    Kyle McCall
    Andy Warwick
    Milosevich (sp?)
    Tom O'Toole
    John Andrew
    Matt Dalton
    Clive Ross
    Greg Jones
    Jonny Stewart
    Bill Johnston ????
    Pete Nelson
    Robert Balacoune
    Angus Kernohan
    Academy players

Looking at our starting XV we could maybe do with improvement at 6. Maybe by the end of next season Marcus Rea will have squeezed his way into the 6 jersey.

Obviously it would be great to have a world class 10 as well.

But it looks better than it has done in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

bilston wrote: »
    Going to do the 1st team/2nd team thing for next season

1st XV. 2nd XV
    1 Jack McGrath. 1 Eric O'Sullivan
    2 Rob Herring. 2 Adam McBurney
    3 Marty Moore. 3 Ross Kane
    4 Iain Henderson. 4 Alan O'Connor
    5 Sam Carter. 5 Kieran Treadwell
    6 Nick Timoney. 6 Matthew Rea
    7 Jordi Murphy. 7 Sean Reidy
    8 Marcel Coetzee. 8 Marcus Rea
    9 John Cooney. 9 Dave Shanahan
    10 Billy Burns. 10 Mike Lowry
    11 Jacob Stockdale. 11 Rob Lyttle
    12 Stuart McCloskey. 12 Angus Curtis
    13 Luke Marshall 13 James Hume
    14 Matt Faddes. 14 Craig Gilroy
    15 Will Addison. 15 Louis Ludik

Robert Balacoune

I think Balacoune will nail down a place in the 23 for big games ahead of Gilroy.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I think Balacoune will nail down a place in the 23 for big games ahead of Gilroy.

He may well do, although I think fitness permitting next year could be a big one for Rob Lyttle. Either way it illustrates a bit of depth on the wing.

Stockdale
    Faddes (utility)
    Gilroy
    Lyttle
    Balacoune
    Kernohan
    Ludik can play there
    Sexton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster team to play Glasgow Warriors, Guinness PRO14 semi-final, Scotstoun Stadium, Friday 17th May 2019 (7.35pm):
    (15-9): J Stockdale; R Baloucoune, L Marshall, S McCloskey, L Ludik; B Burns, J Cooney;
    (1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Best (captain), R Kane, I Henderson, K Treadwell, N Timoney, J Murphy, M Coetzee;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, T O’Toole, A O’Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, M Lowry, D Cave.

Best winger in Ireland at FB, with a FB at wing. Not quite sure what's going on.

Other than that, good as it gets, and big congrats to Baloucoune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭launish116

Moore be a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

True dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Lyttle missing out is wrong. If Ludik is selected on the wing it is stupid. Lyttle is probably the most skilled guy in the squad and he is certainly a better wing than Ludik. every time I see Lyttle he displays a fantastic array of abilities.

The Stockdale/Ludik business doesn't make much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    The Stockdale/Ludik business doesn't make much sense

Yes. Ludik is good and versatile. Stockdale at 11. Ludik at 15.....or Lyttle...and Lyttle / Ludik on the bench as cover for all the back spots.

• Advertisement

I'd guess McFarland is worried about the damage the Glasgow back 3 could do and is going with solid over mercurial.

Advertisement