Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a Nightclub Bouncer

• 19-03-2019 11:17am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Employee

Our next guest is a nightclub bouncer, also known as a door supervisor. He works in a popular city nightclub outside of Dublin and is here to answer your questions about his job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

are you told to let in a certain ratio of females to males?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sorry bud. Regulars only.

How often do you intervene in a scuffle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What procedures are in place to stop crushes?

Are you under pressure to allow as much in as possible or even too many to make the business more money.

Do you really check I.D properly?

Do you ever get a few sneaky digs into the thick ones that fight and cause trouble.

What's the worst experience you have had?

Have you ever had to throw patrons out for doing drugs or selling and would you hold for Gardai.

• Company Representative Posts: 57 Verified rep I'm a nightclub bouncer, AMA

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    are you told to let in a certain ratio of females to males?

Certainly not where I work. Granted, we get mostly students so the ratio would be fairly equal usually.

• Advertisement

How often do you intervene in a scuffle?

You can be fairly certain heading into work every night that there are going to be scuffles. Usual procedure if you see something about to kick off is to call backup by radio, approach them and calm them down. When help arrives they are held until a superior can speak to them and then they’ll be removed from the premises.

If the fight is already underway you’ll call security and usually what I try to do is pick out the individual who seems to be the biggest threat and get him on the ground.

How do you deal with over aggressive colleagues?
    I remember working in a large Cork City club and one guy used to escalate every situation, where a person would just (say) need to be spoken to would end up with a scuffle and them getting removed.

I ended up requesting a more (logistically) difficult area of the club rather than work the main floor, because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Do you view the Gardai as there to help you for some out of control situations or maybe do you view them as a threat and they will want to prosecute you after a big fight?

Maybe both?

What procedures are in place to stop crushes?

Are you under pressure to allow as much in as possible or even too many to make the business more money.

Do you really check I.D properly?

Do you ever get a few sneaky digs into the thick ones that fight and cause trouble.

What's the worst experience you have had?

Have you ever had to throw patrons out for doing drugs or selling and would you hold for Gardai.

1. Security is positioned outside to stagger the queue which is very effective. The importance of this was highlighted by the terrible events in Tyrone.

2. We certainly aren’t under pressure to let as many in as possible. Since our club is so busy we can be easily turn away anybody who we believe to be too intoxicated and still fill the club. We use a clicker to count the amount of people entering and once the max limit is reached the door is closed.

3. Yes we certainly do, although females can be extremely difficult. If we have any doubt at all we’ll ask for a second form of ID which usually does the trick. That being said, of course you’re always going to have the 16 and 17 year olds who managed to get an ID that looks just like them.

4. This is a big no no these days. Sometimes you might love to give somebody a sneaky dig but it’s just not worth losing your security license. If we want to ‘persuade’ them there are plenty of arm locks etc. that are acceptable and certainly aren’t pleasant.

5. Now this is a tough one. I’d say probably the time a refused entry to an individual who was extremely intoxicated and covered in his own vomit. He became threatening and abusive and after about 20 minutes of trying to argue with me, attempted to push past me. I had to grab him and push him back outside, getting covered in his vomit in the process. Not a good night.

6. Standard practice if you catch somebody taking what you believe to be drugs is to remove them for the premises for being ‘intoxicated’. One thing you never do is accuse them of taking drugs. You have absolutely no way of proving the white powder in that bag is anything other than baking powder, and simple possession isn’t an arrestable offense unless it’s enough for sale and supply. On the other hand, if somebody were to be caught say with a bag of what appeared to be ecstasy pills, he would be held for Gardaí as you can be fairly sure that it’s for sale and supply.

mickdw wrote: »
    Sorry bud. Regulars only.

Sorry lad. Not tonight.

• Advertisement

How do you deal with over aggressive colleagues?
    I remember working in a large Cork City club and one guy used to escalate every situation, where a person would just (say) need to be spoken to would end up with a scuffle and them getting removed.

I ended up requesting a more (logistically) difficult area of the club rather than work the main floor, because of him.

Thankfully where I work there is very good management who would nip this in the bud very quickly. There are certainly some individuals working in security who are only waiting for the opportunity to grab someone and physically remove them.

I’ve never been in a situation like you where I’ve had to move position though.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

my niece is 21 now but when she was 17 they the girls were going as far as changing their names on whatsapp/facebook etc to correspond to their fake ID to fool bouncers.

it is a hard job to be fair.

17 year olds can look 30 these days

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Do you view the Gardai as there to help you for some out of control situations or maybe do you view them as a threat and they will want to prosecute you after a big fight?

Maybe both?

I would certainly view them as an asset. We have a great relationship with the Gardaí who would often chat away to us outside.
    That being said, you’re always careful when they’re around, even in the way you might speak to an aggressive individual, as you’d never know how they’d react. A decision you make in a split second could lead to them reporting you to the Private Security Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Have you ever had anyone accuse you of discrimination for refusing to allow entry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Virtually every bouncer I have met on nights out has been an angry mucksavage meathead who thinks he’s playing guard for the night, yet bouncers often complain about their poor reputation. Do you think bouncers have a poor reputation and if so is it justified in your view?

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    my niece is 21 now but when she was 17 they the girls were going as far as changing their names on whatsapp/facebook etc to correspond to their fake ID to fool bouncers.

it is a hard job to be fair.

17 year olds can look 30 these days

Usually these fake IDs are just somebody else’s ID who happens to look like them on the ID photo. Asking for 2 forms of ID usually works for this, as chances are they’ll look completely different on another ID.

It is very difficult I must say, especially with girls. I’m sure we’ve turned away many girls who were in fact over 18 thinking that there ID wasn’t theirs.

What town / city did you start?

Who are your favourite and easiest clients? What do you think of Trip Advisor reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Do you think bouncers should be tested for steroids? Any I've known were a complete liability.

thomasm wrote: »
    Have you ever had anyone accuse you of discrimination for refusing to allow entry?

Every. Single. Night.

There are some individuals that if you ask for a second form of ID you are called a racist. People will pull any card when they’re drunk and desperate. It certainly doesn’t strike fear in our hearts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

A club I go never check ID. In the 3 years, I've been going there, they have never asked people in the queue for ID. There are often 16-year-olds in there, who just walk on in. This is probably due to the fact that the club can be quiet a lot of the time, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are you going to tell us that all bouncers are professional and full of courtesy at all times, or would you accept that many have a real attitude problem?

Whatever about kids and nightclubs, what do you think about "doormen" at quiet bars blocking entrances and staring at grown adults who just wanted to go in and spend some money on a pint, and who perhaps would rather not have to pass an entrance inspection for the privilege?

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Virtually every bouncer I have met on nights out has been an angry mucksavage meathead who thinks he’s playing guard for the night, yet bouncers often complain about their poor reputation. Do you think bouncers have a poor reputation and if so is it justified in your view?

While I can’t speak about your experiences, I find no matter what we do we’re criticised. Somebody could break someone’s nose inside the club and if we throw him out he’ll go and tell everyone about the “meathead bouncerz throwing me out for doin nuttin in that stupid club”. Magically, everyone who ever has a bad experience with security is always completely innocent and did nothing wrong.

Also, to your comment about thinking they’re playing guard for the night. We don’t think it. We know it. We’re security guards it’s what we’re paid to do.

That being said they’re are always the idiots looking for a fight, just like every other profession, so sometimes it is justified.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Do you think bouncers should be tested for steroids? Any I've known were a complete liability.

I’ll have to say where I work we actually don’t have any of those types. I’m no Arnold Schwarzenegger myself.

With regard to the testing, I’d see it as quite a breach of privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Do you find that that since the inception of the Private Security Authority in 2004 that it has helped clean up the industry? Such as door supervisor's with criminal convictions.

xieann wrote: »
    What town / city did you start?

Who are your favourite and easiest clients? What do you think of Trip Advisor reviews?

I’d rather not say to avoid being identified.

I’ve only ever really worked with people in the 18-25 age group, I’ve only rarely worked with other groups.

I think when it comes to nightclubs they always have pretty bad reviews. I think this is because most people who have a good night won’t bother with a review, but if someone is annoyed at being kicked out they’ll make sure to write the worst review possible.

Do you find that that since the inception of the Private Security Authority in 2004 that it has helped clean up the industry? Such as door supervisor's with criminal convictions.

I’m afraid I’m not qualified to answer that, as I was neither working as a bouncer nor old enough to go into a club in 2004!

But from what I hear from colleagues, the security industry has come leaps and bounds since it was established. There is certainly no place in security for an individual with assault convictions.

devlinio wrote: »
    A club I go never check ID. In the 3 years, I've been going there, they have never asked people in the queue for ID. There are often 16-year-olds in there, who just walk on in. This is probably due to the fact that the club can be quiet a lot of the time, but still.

That club is certainly leaving themselves open to major trouble. It will catch up to them sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Are you a boardsie regular? Do you tell unruly patrons that there will be the "Banhammer" if they don't wise up?

I worked in a bar as a student in England. The local Rugby team was sponsored by the bar so you'd have regular idiots trying to start fights with a bunch of huge lads from the team, the bouncers had a thankless task of dealing with it. It's not an easy number. In fact, the town had a banned from one banned from all policy which I think is a good idea, I have no idea if that's implemented in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I’ll have to say where I work we actually don’t have any of those types. I’m no Arnold Schwarzenegger myself.

With regard to the testing, I’d see it as quite a breach of privacy.

Drug testing is part and parcel of many jobs. Not a breach of privacy at all, I'd see it as a necessary precaution for public safety.

Cheers for the reply all the same.

• Advertisement

Are you going to tell us that all bouncers are professional and full of courtesy at all times, or would you accept that many have a real attitude problem?

Whatever about kids and nightclubs, what do you think about "doormen" at quiet bars blocking entrances and staring at grown adults who just wanted to go in and spend some money on a pint, and who perhaps would rather not have to pass an entrance inspection for the privilege?

Of course bouncers are not always professional and full of courtesy, and of course some have an attitude problem. At the end of the day though, often we are dealing with completely irrational individuals. When I first started working in security I was always nice and treated everyone with courtesy, but trust me you realize very quickly that it won’t get you anywhere. I think with nightclub security in particular you sometimes need to be seen to be a bit ignorant, even if you’re not.

Would you be professional and courteous if you were trying to explain to the 90th person to be thrown out that night why they weren’t allowed back on the premises?

With regard to the bouncers at regular bars, I think often it’s management making the decisions on who should and shouldn’t get in. I worked briefly at a bar where the manager gave me strict instructions on the type of individual that was to be permitted entry, and would come and complain to me if they didn’t like the look of someone inside.
    Needless to say I left after a few nights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement