Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Defunkd wrote: »
    So you don't know what money either was on. Why phrase it as if you did?

True, ik got intl caps...because there was no better alternative, not because he out-competed others. But yeah, he's great, that's why he's playing with LI and not Munster. Coaching staff clearly got it wrong.

#bringhimhome
    He got international caps as he completely deserved them on form and did beat others.
    Your just embarrasing yourself now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Jewelers wrote: »
    how do you know he will never be a munster player again?
    He wont be signed again.
    He's in his early 30s been let go to London Irish instead of finishing off his contract here and will be 34 by time his contract in treviso finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So you don't know what money either was on. Why phrase it as if you did?

Because to think that JJH would be on a higher salary would be both illogical and very naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I've huge sympathy for Keatley. He became first choice by circumstance rather than design and he was never good enough to be first choice in a team trying to get back to the top of Europe.

If he'd been limited to backup, I think everyone would have been happier and we wouldn't be pondering the difference between booing and ironic jeering.

As it was, he was put in a very unfortunate position of having to be something he wasn't and he became a lightning rod for criticisms that went way beyond him.

Still, he has a chance now to have a nice end to his career and I hope he makes the most of it.

PS: I'm utterly baffled that anyone could still think JJH is the better 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I've huge sympathy for Keatley. He became first choice by circumstance rather than design and he was never good enough to be first choice in a team trying to get back to the top of Europe.

If he'd been limited to backup, I think everyone would have been happier and we wouldn't be pondering the difference between booing and ironic jeering.

As it was, he was put in a very unfortunate position of having to be something he wasn't and he became a lightning rod for criticisms that went way beyond him.

Still, he has a chance now to have a nice end to his career and I hope he makes the most of it.

PS: I'm utterly baffled that anyone could still think JJH is the better 10.

Yeah I think it's great he went to London Irish rather than hanging around Munster til end of season. Not sure was that his decision or did Kidney come calling but great that he will play with them and likely get promotion at end of season.

Then he's on to Benneton next season, and looks like they have a very good shot of playing Champions Cup rugby next season. They had 4 wins in their Challenge Cup pool this season so could target a home win or 2 next season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Keatley is no longer a Munster player and never again will be, so how is this relevant to Munster team talk? I have news about Amorosino that i'm eager to share but since he's not Munster, this is not the place. Open an appreciation thread and wear rose-tinted glasses to your hearts desire...

Keatley played for Munster for 8 years until recently. The article is about his time in Munster. It's totally relevant to the Munster thread. Other former Munsters player have regularly been discussed in here.

You disliking Keatley doesnt give you the right to tell others what can and can't be discussed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Keatley is no longer a Munster player and never again will be, so how is this relevant to Munster team talk? I have news about Amorosino that i'm eager to share but since he's not Munster, this is not the place. Open an appreciation thread and wear rose-tinted glasses to your hearts desire...

Don't tell other people what they can't discuss on here, and then go on to make further posts discussing your "forbidden topic". Backseat modding is a cardable offence, please refrain from doing so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

He got international caps as he completely deserved them on form and did beat others.
    Your just embarrasing yourself now
    Plenty of Emerging Ireland and Wolfhound caps against top-tier sides like Canada, Uruguay and USA.

Came off the bench against Georgia and Fiji and was drafted in as injury cover for Sexton against Italy. What other Senior caps am i missing?

Keatley played for Munster for 8 years until recently. The article is about his time in Munster. It's totally relevant to the Munster thread. Other former Munsters player have regularly been discussed in here.

You disliking Keatley doesnt give you the right to tell others what can and can't be discussed.
    I have to reply to this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Plenty of Emerging Ireland and Wolfhound caps against top-tier sides like Canada, Uruguay and USA.

Came off the bench against Georgia and Fiji and was drafted in as injury cover for Sexton against Italy. What other Senior caps am i missing?

He started in the 6 Nations ahead of Madigan in a world cup year...

• Advertisement

That would be the Italian game where he was injury cover for Sexton...

Nice to see you actually contribute something rugby-related for a change, eh Ted?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

All other things being equal, older players get paid more than younger players.
    It's reasonable to assume Keatley was on a higher salary than JJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

We have no idea what the players are on, JJ was reported to be getting 250-300k when signing for Northampton..and 160-180k when he returned to Munster.
    ..but it's all guesswork by the papers and us mere mortals in here trying to say A gets more then B is daft imo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That would be the Italian game where he was injury cover for Sexton...

Nice to see you actually contribute something rugby-related for a change, eh Ted?

Yes. You didn't make that clear at all because it didn't suit you.

I like to talk about rugby. Not waste time insulting players I don't like because I'm not a child.

Yes. You didn't make that clear at all because it didn't suit you.

I like to talk about rugby. Not waste time insulting players I don't like because I'm not a child.
    Didn't make it clear? I wrote it in the post you replied to...the post where i named his appearances. How clearer could i have been?

Your last few additions to the Munster thread have been an attempted joke; a post you or a mod deleted; a post you got carded for an another attempt at humour. Great contribution!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Soooo, Alby still getting a contract for next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭phog

Soooo, Alby still getting a contract for next season?

If the IRFU allow us I'd sign him immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Looking at Glasgow and Munsters run in, I think its Munster's away trip to Treviso and Glasgow's away trip to Leinster is where Munster can retake the lead. Munster need to beat Treviso and for Leinster to do them a favour and beat Glasgow

No injury concerns from Saturday. Backrow Jack O'Sullivan, who starred for the Ireland U20s last year, made his return from injury. Hopefully he can get an opportunity during the RWC.

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/03/04/squad-update-175/

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

No injury concerns from Saturday. Backrow Jack O'Sullivan, who starred for the Ireland U20s last year, made his return from injury. Hopefully he can get an opportunity during the RWC.

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/03/04/squad-update-175/
    Hopefully he can get some gametime this season with the A's in Boston and then in pre season.

• Advertisement

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Looking at Glasgow and Munsters run in, I think its Munster's away trip to Treviso and Glasgow's away trip to Leinster is where Munster can retake the lead. Munster need to beat Treviso and for Leinster to do them a favour and beat Glasgow

Treviso will be in the hunt for points so no pushover, Leinster have already qualified so aside from keeping fans happy and keeping players fresh for cup/league knock out games have no real interest in their remaining fixtures

Munster should still have the firepower to beat Treviso though

Munster will have to rotate after the QF, hopefully after they win (!). I imagine they'll mix and match for Benetton and Cardiff, who are both in the playoff hunt. Cardiff coming to Cork is a bit of a trap game as they also play in an artificial pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Bit of a backlog at 8 with JOD, coombes and O Sullivan, hopefully they get preference over Botha who's looked very ordinary the last few games.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

phog wrote:
    Munster should still have the firepower to beat Treviso though

I'm going to this game. Should be a cracker.

I'm going to this game. Should be a cracker.

Mind me asking - what kind of trip are you doing or are you over there anyway? It's a trip I'd like to do sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Munster Tean Talk Thread VII- Better Call Maul

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

phog wrote:
    Mind me asking - what kind of trip are you doing or are you over there anyway? It's a trip I'd like to do sometime.

3 nighter. Ex Dublin. Direct flight leaves Thursday afternoon. Booked in December. Flights were about €140 odd. Quick bus transfer into Treviso which is a beautiful town. Accommodation through Airbnb. I'd encourage you to go. Northern Italy is lovely. I've been quite a few times. Venice is 30 mins away by train. There's a local game on the Saturday. Mogliano I think.

3 nighter. Ex Dublin. Direct flight leaves Thursday afternoon. Booked in December. Flights were about €140 odd. Quick bus transfer into Treviso which is a beautiful town. Accommodation through Airbnb. I'd encourage you to go. Northern Italy is lovely. I've been quite a few times. Venice is 30 mins away by train. There's a local game on the Saturday. Mogliano I think.

Thanks

I've been to Venice, Verona and Lake Garda a few times but they were always family breaks - I should have looked at going to Treviso last year (?) when we had both Italian teams back to back in Italy and tried to take in both games but left it too late to organise.

The Treviso trip is definitely on my to do list.

I've been to Lake Garda too. Definitely worth a trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hope Beirne's "sore" leg isn't anything more sinister!

Advertisement