Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sonic the Hedgehog - Live Action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Hoping this movie will be good. I still think there's no reason that movies based on video games with the right direction, writers and FX can't be visually pleasing, entertaining flicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Jim Carrey talks Dr. Robotnik:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Just saw this tonight, it was alright. Quite likeable, the Sonic character wasn’t annoying and the design was much better than the original, James Marsden did a decent job too.

Jim Carey was very good, at times I wish they had let him off the leash more but maybe that would have been too much like the Mask and that wasn’t what they were going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just out of the cinema too. Enjoyed it. A good movie for what it is and doesn't go on too long (1 hour 40). Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hopefully seeing this tonight. Looks quite good.

• Advertisement

Ended up seeing it last night and it's quite alright.
    Jim Carrey is a lunatic lol. As the movie progresses he becomes more and more full on Carrey. Which is a good thing..

James Marsden was really good too. Likeable character. Voice actor of Sonic threw in a very good performance.
    A lot of kids in the cinema even tho it was a late showing (a bit noisy at times, what you gonna do) but you could hear all the little ones laughs so kids seem to enjoy it.

As for the adults - you'll enjoy it too. Don't go in expecting something on par with Christopher Nolan's latest epic and you'll enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Took my kid last night. I fully expected to hate it but it was actually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭A-Train

I went to see this last night with the wife and son.

He thought it was great and I actually enjoyed it. Being a massive Sonic fan growing up I just hoped it wasn't going to be a terrible movie but it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulkeno

Have to agree with above, thought it was really good. My kids are way too young for the Mask and didn’t even recognise Carrey from the grinch and they thought he was bonkers but loved it. Plenty of one liners that make you chuckle. Good fun movie.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just back from seeing it there. Brought my 16 year old and 4 year old. Enjoyed by all. I expected it to be fairly poor being honest, but I found myself smiling at a few different bits. I think they were trying to balance it from being good for kids and good for adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Some people seem annoyed that the studio listed to the fans and did the redesign, even though it no doubt helped the movie, which seems to be doing quite well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Some people seem annoyed that the studio listed to the fans and did the redesign, even though it no doubt helped the movie, which seems to be doing quite well

Can't win with people.
    If the studio didn't change, people would be moaning saying why didn't they change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

When I hear things like this I always remember back to a man being interviewed by RTE who was campaigning to save the Ballymun towers saying they had a unique and original community. You see it doesn't matter what you do there will always be someone against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I took my 6yr old to see it and thought I'd be cringing through it, but actually quite enjoyed it. Sonic was a very likable ball of energy and not as annoying as I'd feared. Marsden was dependable as ever, and Carrey managed to bring his unique sense of manic humour and energy to the role of Robotnik - he's probably the only person that could do the character justice from that perspective.

The buildup to the finale was great, my little boy was cheering on Sonic in the very final fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

The original design wasn't as awful as some made out, but in certain expressions it made Sonic look really weird.

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Old-vs-New.jpg

This is the classic example and it's hard to argue with. The original Sonic looks like something you'd see on an acid trip. It's not good.

3603280-1.jpg

But then in other expressions, it's not too bad.

The most surprising part is the original design was not tested on a sample audience at some stage, or if it was, it was passed as ok.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Watched it on sunday with 6 & 8 year old. We all got a great laugh out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You've got people going on about toxic fans, as a way to dismiss any criticism/assessment of other works.

Here you've got a very large negative response to the original design and success from listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I went to see it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I'd happily watch the next one if it gets the green light as long at the same cast are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I had an exam this morning(which was my last one before a break)and afterwards I decided to treat myself to an afternoon movie. The only thing on at the time was Sonic the hedgehog, which did not inspire me, thought the trailer looked terrible. In fact I had bad mouthed this movie every time the trailer would play before other movies. So my expectations were very low........but as it turns out I dont think Ive ever been so pleasantly surprised by a movie. It was great fun and there wasnt a moment where I was bored. Its a credit to everyone involved in the making of this that they have made something that was entertaining, funny, sharp and not for a moment cringey. The writers expecially deserve a lot of credit because I found myself laughing out loud at some of the one liners, the scene where Jim carey is dancing is an absolute blast. And they obviously let Carey off the lead and gave him the freedom to go full Ace ventura. Its such a likeable and genuine film, honestly dont know how they managed to make something so good from such a flimsy premise. There'll be sequels for sure and if theyre half as good as this then they can have my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

santana75 wrote: »
    I had an exam this morning(which was my last one before a break)and afterwards I decided to treat myself to an afternoon movie. The only thing on at the time was Sonic the hedgehog, which did not inspire me, thought the trailer looked terrible. In fact I had bad mouthed this movie every time the trailer would play before other movies. So my expectations were very low........but as it turns out I dont think Ive ever been so pleasantly surprised by a movie. It was great fun and there wasnt a moment where I was bored. Its a credit to everyone involved in the making of this that they have made something that was entertaining, funny, sharp and not for a moment cringey. The writers expecially deserve a lot of credit because I found myself laughing out loud at some of the one liners, the scene where Jim carey is dancing is an absolute blast. And they obviously let Carey off the lead and gave him the freedom to go full Ace ventura. Its such a likeable and genuine film, honestly dont know how they managed to make something so good from such a flimsy premise. There'll be sequels for sure and if theyre half as good as this then they can have my money.

I had similar thoughts on it, I think Sonic is presented in such a way in the film (wisecracking, but essentially innocent and lonely) that you can't help but warm to him. The whole film has a nice warm but genuine vibe to it which reminds me a bit of the 80s kid films I grew up with, whereas a lot of ones in recent years seem to try too hard to be hip or cool or resort to sarcasm in place of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I thought it was kind of meh tbh. It had some good set pieces and it did do a fairly good job on Sonic's character, but the overall story was dull and interesting and I didn't really like Robotnik much (thought he was a bit too over the top and silly). I did kinda like the reference to
    the Eggman name, itworked with how Sonic called everyone by his interpretation of what they did.

Was I the only who noticed
    the rather huge number of collateral kills in this movie? When the movie catches up with the opening and Robotnik is firing at Sonic in San Francisco there is a part where Sonic slides under a bus and an explosion happens behind him. However, when camera moves to the front, you can see that the explosion entered and filled the bus. Everyone on the bus is dead! And that's not to mention the people killed in all of the other car-related explosions in the same sequence.
    This is a youtube clip of it, specifically at 55s onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched it and enjoyed it.

Was looking at photos comparing the designs afterwards and looks like between the last trailer and the release they went back and changed a bit more
    In the trailer, early scenes from the film has him wearing the red sneakers. So I wonder did they add that scene later? Though looks like the scene in the attic in the trailer has him in the old shoes.
    Also he was an adult in his home planet in the trailer

Also about the ending
    or rather the mid credits scene, I wonder if there was a different design there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MosherRock426

Sonic (2020) was one of the first lot of films I watched when this whole Rona stuff kicked off and I have to say it ticked all the boxes for me. After getting vexed when they showed initial portrayal of sonic and how he'd look in the movie I was so mad but glad they listened to the fans and went back to the drawing-board. Marsden in great spirits, voice actor for sonic did a brilliant job and carrey on top form as always. Thought as the movie progressed the viewer really began to see how well he fit as robotnik and why the director chose to cast him as the villain. Glad I didn't go see it in the cinema and streamed it. I really enjoyed it but figured it's more a night in movie rather than movie outing flick.

Saw Sonic 2 earlier today.......overall its decent enough. Not the pleasant surprise the first one was and definitely too long, but it's lite fun and not too scary for kids. Gutted there was no scene where Jim Carey dances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Cotts72

See it this evening. Really enjoyed it.. Brought back the sonic nostalgia from younger years with sonic knuckles and tails!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Have to say I enjoyed the sequel a lot as a long time sonic fan.

But the film does get the award for the most bizarre reference with:

Doctor Robotnik actually quoting Donald Trump's ridiculous "There are Good people on both sides" statement in the film's climax which got a very loud "WTF" laugh from the audience

There was also a reference to "The day the earth stood still" early on by Jim Carey. Pretty sure no kid would get that one

• Advertisement

Yeah not as good as the first however still a whole lot of fun.

Advertisement