Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

AidenL wrote: »
    You might be able to help me with this.

I just added a Ubiquiti AC Lite Access point at the far end of the house. House is networked, so I just plugged an ethernet cable in to the outlet.

Im 'only' getting around 100 megs down and 90ish upload at that AP.

When I'm near the router , I'm getting around 300ish down and the same 90ish up.

Just wondering am I missing something on a setting?

I have the same SSID and Password on the router and the Ap.

This setup has 5 AC Lite's in it. Love working with those things.

If you have a controller check the TX/RX rate of the client you are doing the speedtest on, here are a number of things that could be causing it. If you dont, it is easy to fire up one on a spare laptop or computer connected to the network. And probably a good idea too.

1) The ethernet back into your network could only be running at 100mb/s instead of 1000. This can happen on houses wired for 10/100 but not 1000 ethernet. You can check this in the unifi controller like so:

vFWPSrQ.png

2) Your client has a poor connection to the device and the TX/RX rate is being throttled. Check on the Clients page if the client is on the right AP and is also getting a decent signal with a good TX/RX rate:

6W5d8zs.png

3) Check that your 5G network is up and you are connected to it rather than the 2.4G network. This is device specific so I cant really help much. Just google it.

If none of these help i'd be happy to explore other possibilities as to why it is not getting the full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

More failed installation woes -

Short story - Duct is blocked and I need to sort it out. Any idea (if I don't do it myself) who would be able to sort this out - company/contractor/engineer?

Long story - KN guy called on Friday - managed to get the cobra rod out to around my perimeter fence (around 30 meters) which is still around 10 or 12 meters from the access point/box. But he said it was blocked and he couldnt install. I asked if I needed to sort this out myself and he said no, he would call civils, he had taken pictures and they would make an appointment with me. After that I didnt really ask any more questions. What actually happened it seems is that he just rejected it back to the fibre provider. They have confirmed with OpenEir that KN said it was definitely in my property and I need to sort it out myself.

I could go down the route of hiring some cobra rods and digging up the ducting myself but I would prefer not to .

Any ideas who i contact for this?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

m99T wrote: »

If you have a controller check the TX/RX rate of the client you are doing the speedtest on, here are a number of things that could be causing it. If you dont, it is easy to fire up one on a spare laptop or computer connected to the network. And probably a good idea too.

1) The ethernet back into your network could only be running at 100mb/s instead of 1000. This can happen on houses wired for 10/100 but not 1000 ethernet. You can check this in the unifi controller like so:

vFWPSrQ.png

2) Your client has a poor connection to the device and the TX/RX rate is being throttled. Check on the Clients page if the client is on the right AP and is also getting a decent signal with a good TX/RX rate:

6W5d8zs.png

3) Check that your 5G network is up and you are connected to it rather than the 2.4G network. This is device specific so I cant really help much. Just google it.

If none of these help i'd be happy to explore other possibilities as to why it is not getting the full speed.

Thanks for that - you hit the nail on the head with No. 1 - showing as 10/100. Both my switches are 100/1000 though, so thats a puzzle.

It will do for now, I'll run a new cable and fix it to the ceiling maybe, direct from the router or the switch. I will get away with three APs I think.

Im in Donegal too, Ballyshannon, so thanks for that. Saved me a lot of head scratching ! Now back to the All Ireland ! :D

6W5d8zs.png

Actually, looking at Point 2, seems I have a problem - very low numbers compared to the 300 you are getting?

TheBazman wrote: »
    More failed installation woes -

Short story - Duct is blocked and I need to sort it out. Any idea (if I don't do it myself) who would be able to sort this out - company/contractor/engineer?

Long story - KN guy called on Friday - managed to get the cobra rod out to around my perimeter fence (around 30 meters) which is still around 10 or 12 meters from the access point/box. But he said it was blocked and he couldnt install. I asked if I needed to sort this out myself and he said no, he would call civils, he had taken pictures and they would make an appointment with me. After that I didnt really ask any more questions. What actually happened it seems is that he just rejected it back to the fibre provider. They have confirmed with OpenEir that KN said it was definitely in my property and I need to sort it out myself.

I could go down the route of hiring some cobra rods and digging up the ducting myself but I would prefer not to .

Any ideas who i contact for this?

Cheers

Builder or Enviro company. Local handmen might be a good shout.

The common way to unblock it is rent a CAT and Mouse (Sonde) with some cobra rods. You put the mouse on the rods, push it through and the CAT beeps above where the duct is. You can then track it to the block, dig up and repair.

If you're anywhere near Donegal I would have a look, but KN have some team that do it now. Think it's about 300 euro.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - you hit the nail on the head with No. 1 - showing as 10/100. Both my switches are 100/1000 though, so thats a puzzle.

It will do for now, I'll run a new cable and fix it to the ceiling maybe, direct from the router or the switch. I will get away with three APs I think.

Im in Donegal too, Ballyshannon, so thanks for that. Saved me a lot of head scratching ! Now back to the All Ireland ! :D

Did you crimp your own cables? A common problem is over scoring the sheath. You might have cut a wire or two. If not unscrew the socket and make sure the connections are good and try with a different patch cable.

Thats probably the best job. Direct cabling is always better when you didn't do the other cables yourself.

Sure tyrone is ****ed anyway, no point in watching it. Have heaps of family in Ballyshannon and Belleek, be down there all the time. Lovely wee spot.
    Actually, looking at Point 2, seems I have a problem - very low numbers compared to the 300 you are getting?

You're signal is seriously bad. 5% and -89 is basically not connected. I'd implement RSSI and set it to like 80 or so. So if the signal drops it just wont connect you then you can connect to the Eir router.

Did you crimp your own cables? A common problem is over scoring the sheath. You might have cut a wire or two. If not unscrew the socket and make sure the connections are good and try with a different patch cable.

Thats probably the best job. Direct cabling is always better when you didn't do the other cables yourself.

Sure tyrone is ****ed anyway, no point in watching it. Have heaps of family in Ballyshannon and Belleek, be down there all the time. Lovely wee spot.

You're signal is seriously bad. 5% and -89 is basically not connected. I'd implement RSSI and set it to like 80 or so. So if the signal drops it just wont connect you then you can connect to the Eir router.

I didn’t crimp them myself, nope. As you say, new is safer.

Come in for tea next time you are down then! :D Yep, the Dubs have it again.

What would be causing my bad signal then? Faulty cables? Faulty access point? Faulty iPhone?

I didn’t crimp them myself, nope. As you say, new is safer.

Come in for tea next time you are down then! :D Yep, the Dubs have it again.

What would be causing my bad signal then? Faulty cables? Faulty access point? Faulty iPhone?

Haha I might just take you up on that. 100% they do.

Best thing to do is walk up and leave your iPhone beside the AP and check the signal. If you get good connection stats on the controller then it is most likely that you are just too far from the AP. I'd say the AP is fine though if your iPad is getting 50%.

Also make sure you mount your AP on the roof or wall and never pointing upwards. The antenna is still pretty directional in them.

EDIT: Your iPhone is also on the 5G network. The range of this is heaps less than the 2.4G, try switching it over and checking the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Builder or Enviro company. Local handmen might be a good shout.

The common way to unblock it is rent a CAT and Mouse (Sonde) with some cobra rods. You put the mouse on the rods, push it through and the CAT beeps above where the duct is. You can then track it to the block, dig up and repair.

If you're anywhere near Donegal I would have a look, but KN have some team that do it now. Think it's about 300 euro.

Cheers for that, unfortunately I’m in Kildare. The KN guy didn’t give me any contact details. I’ll just have a look on their website. I might try hiring some rods first to see how far I get myself.

TheBazman wrote: »
    Cheers for that, unfortunately I’m in Kildare. The KN guy didn’t give me any contact details. I’ll just have a look on their website. I might try hiring some rods first to see how far I get myself.

Yeah it has to be done through your provider. It is a whole pain in the ass to do.

That's a good idea. But anyone with a shovel really can do it.

• Advertisement

Haha I might just take you up on that. 100% they do.

Best thing to do is walk up and leave your iPhone beside the AP and check the signal. If you get good connection stats on the controller then it is most likely that you are just too far from the AP. I'd say the AP is fine though if your iPad is getting 50%.

Also make sure you mount your AP on the roof or wall and never pointing upwards. The antenna is still pretty directional in them.

EDIT: Your iPhone is also on the 5G network. The range of this is heaps less than the 2.4G, try switching it over and checking the speed.

Ran a new cable through the attic there now, had a 30m one spare. I forgot how small some of the nooks in there were - or maybe Im just getting bigger :o:eek:

So, better numbers now I think. I had the AP fixed to a wall behind a tv in the bedroom. Its up in the attic now, fixed to a rafter, not totally horizontal, maybe 30% degrees off, but will do for now, and pointing down.

What percentage of your max download speed should an AP give normally?

Ran a new cable through the attic there now, had a 30m one spare. I forgot how small some of the nooks in there were - or maybe Im just getting bigger :o:eek:

So, better numbers now I think. I had the AP fixed to a wall behind a tv in the bedroom. Its up in the attic now, fixed to a rafter, not totally horizontal, maybe 30% degrees off, but will do for now, and pointing down.

What percentage of your max download speed should an AP give normally?

Looking much better there. Can't really give you a percent but the TX and RX of your iPad at pretty much full signal on 5G AC wireless is 400 up and 400 down. There are some overheads included with WIFI so your speeds won't be far off 400mb/s

Yeah that is fine on a rafter that is how the AP in my screenshots is mounted and it gives a very good signal but I would not rely on it for whole house WiFi. Attics are not really designed for it when you take into consideration insulation and whatnot.

But if it works for you then it works. Those numbers look good, and is it now on a 1000 uplink instead of 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Marlow wrote: »
    In view is not enough. The house has also to be 50m less from the nearest pole to qualify for overhead.

/M

I'm a little surprised if someone's duct is blocked or if there is some kind of routing the cable underground and they are more than 50m away from a pole that eir dont put in a pole and then run it to the gable .

earlier on this year our neighbour wanted a telephone line put in , and they put a nice shiny (creosoted) pole in directly across from her house and ran the cable from that - no extra charges to her for putting the pole in.

wonder why they cannot do something similar for people in that situation if they cannot run the cable underground and the property is 50m or more away from the nearest pole?

460181.jpg

I'm a little surprised if someone's duct is blocked or if there is some kind of routing the cable underground and they are more than 50m away from a pole that eir dont put in a pole and then run it to the gable .

earlier on this year our neighbour wanted a telephone line put in , and they put a nice shiny (creosoted) pole in directly across from her house and ran the cable from that - no extra charges to her for putting the pole in.

wonder why they cannot do something similar for people in that situation if they cannot run the cable underground and the property is 50m or more away from the nearest pole?

460181.jpg

I was told by a KN tech that he had surveyed for 4 poles before and the request was granted and the poles were installed. I dont see why they dont do this either.

Off topic: DrPhilG your inbox is full cant PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

They can install poles and have for people here. I guess it comes down to cost. If it's cheaper to repair the duct that route will be taken first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I was told by a KN tech that he had surveyed for 4 poles before and the request was granted and the poles were installed. I dont see why they dont do this either.

Off topic: DrPhilG your inbox is full cant PM you.

They do it in the cases, where the poles are to be placed on public property or on the boundaries of public property.

On private land it's the owners problem. So if your house is more than 50m from the boundaries of your property, overhead is not going happen.

Phone lines are different, because of the USO. Eircom HAVE to provide a phoneline (any way, form or shape), if you order one.

Also, a lot of houses that were a considerable distance from the nearest road have simply been left out from the rollout. Even though every house left, right and center is enabled.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

A question to those in the know.

Our duct is from an access box outside our gate on a disused roadway.

We have another access box inside our hedge between this & the ETU.
    There is no draw rope between the Openeir box & ours.
    Is it my responsibility to fit one as I'd have to open their box to do so. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jgbyr wrote: »
    A question to those in the know.

Our duct is from an access box outside our gate on a disused roadway.

We have another access box inside our hedge between this & the ETU.
    There is no draw rope between the Openeir box & ours.
    Is it my responsibility to fit one as I'd have to open their box to do so. Thanks

No, it's not. But if you did, you would ensure, that you have no problems getting an installation on day one.

/M

....Also, a lot of houses that were a considerable distance from the nearest road have simply been left out from the rollout. Even though every house left, right and center is enabled.

/M

so if you have a long drive to your gaff its out of the question :)

mind you you could overcome it if you have a gate lodge or gate house lol ... then again maybe not because your gate house might not have a eircode

They do it in the cases, where the poles are to be placed on public property or on the boundaries of public property.

On private land it's the owners problem. So if your house is more than 50m from the boundaries of your property, overhead is not going happen.

Phone lines are different, because of the USO. Eircom HAVE to provide a phoneline (any way, form or shape), if you order one.

Also, a lot of houses that were a considerable distance from the nearest road have simply been left out from the rollout. Even though every house left, right and center is enabled.

/M

Will fibre be the next addition USO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

No, it's not. But if you did, you would ensure, that you have no problems getting an installation on day one.

/M

Thanks. I've a blockage on my end so I'll have to get rods to check it anyway.
    Can see then about lifting the access box cover & fitting a draw rope the full distance.

Will fibre be the next addition USO?

USO=Universal Service Obligation ... see I have been doing my homework

Well tell a lie, I had to google it lol :)

Yep, on the 1000 setting now.

I’ll have 2 APs, one Lite, one Long range, it’s enroute, plus the router WiFi upstairs.

I’ll mount them permanently on the ceiling too.
    Looking much better there. Can't really give you a percent but the TX and RX of your iPad at pretty much full signal on 5G AC wireless is 400 up and 400 down. There are some overheads included with WIFI so your speeds won't be far off 400mb/s

Yeah that is fine on a rafter that is how the AP in my screenshots is mounted and it gives a very good signal but I would not rely on it for whole house WiFi. Attics are not really designed for it when you take into consideration insulation and whatnot.

But if it works for you then it works. Those numbers look good, and is it now on a 1000 uplink instead of 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

/M

They do what suits on the day. :)

For instance they asked permission to put a pole on the corner of my site so they could re-route the phone line to my neighbour across the road.

I think there was bedrock at the road verge so it would have been very difficult to do.

Yep, on the 1000 setting now.

I’ll have 2 APs, one Lite, one Long range, it’s enroute, plus the router WiFi upstairs.

I’ll mount them permanently on the ceiling too.

That's the good stuff. With the two ap''s you should be covered. You're setup now for the start of a full unifi network. I'd do it they are amazing when setup.

They do what suits on the day. :)

For instance they asked permission to put a pole on the corner of my site so they could re-route the phone line to my neighbour across the road.

I think there was bedrock at the road verge so it would have been very difficult to do.

did you give them it? :)

did you give them it? :)

Sure :)

Their duct for telephone is also going across my site because of the same reason. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Failed install for me the other day. Duct into my house comes straight into our hallway. Duct would have been ran before the raft foundation went in, straight from the pole into the foundation. Engineer tried to put his rods down into where the copper cable is presented in the house but it was getting stuck. Asked him if he could just pull the copper cable out but he said he couldn't - but couldn't stop me doing it.

Went to the pole and tugged on the copper cable and it's completely jammed - not moving an inch. Engineer was going to run the cable overhead to my gable but i asked him to put it off for a few days and i'll try get the duct sorted. Dug down to the butt of the pole and discovered the duct is turning a 90 degree angle out under my front wall foundation (away from my house). That's when i remembered - a number of years ago the pole was replaced / moved. The old pole was closer to the edge of the road and considered dangerous i guess, but that was the pole that my service duct was ran to. Obviously when they moved the pole they somehow joined my duct to their new one on the new pole and this is where the blockage is occuring.

Did some needle in a haystack digging over the weekend but couldn't find my duct pipe. Plan now is to get a mini digger early this week to dig a small trench inside my front wall to locate my duct..... cut it and hopefully it will be a clear run to pull the copper out and pull through a small rope. Then T it off there and point it to the butt of the new pole so they can run the fiber down that way. Pain in the nads.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Mr Velo wrote: »

You might find your phone line is cemented into the floor, mine was so I ran a duct outside to a different wall because I didnt want to mess with the wooden floor

Might be cheaper to rent a cable locator or hire someone that does that and dig it with a shovel?

• Advertisement

Maybe you could find where they did the new joint to your duct, open that up and correct it (if that is where the blockage is)?

Did they rod it from the pole side and determine the distance from the pole that the blockage occurs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement