Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

This was the video that I watched for the last few years that really captured the spirit of what the remake should be about. He has stitched all FMV, cutscenes and related FFVII material and colour corrected for an opening credits. I'd hope for a tone and adventure similar and not an overly grungy style:

This is how I remember the original FFVII or at least in my memories:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Adamantium wrote: »
    I strongly believe this remake has been in development for at least 3 years
    There are swathes of highly talented people in Square that were apparently working on nothing and rumours of a secret project which many thought was XVI or a new IP, but it never showed until now.

We're getting into the land of fantasy here. It's been in production for about a year at most and by production they probably mean drafting design docs and throwing around ideas. If there was any significant code they would have shown some in game footage. If it was in development for 3 years they'd want to be showing gameplay of a finished or near finished title!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji wrote: »
    Nomura hinting at FF V&VI remakes.

Give it to Matrix software please, they did a great job of FF4!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I reckon saying it's been in development for a year is stretching it really.

More than likely themselves and Sony realised announcing that port wasn't a great idea as it even seemed like they were trolling fans.

I'd say it's closer to half a year of development. They'd really want to be getting FFXV out next year and then possibly getting the remake out the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

tok9 wrote: »
    I reckon saying it's being in development for a year is stretching it really.

More than likely themselves and Sony released announcing that port wasn't a great idea as it even seemed like them trolling.

I'd say it's closer to half a year of development. They'd really want to be getting FFXV out next year and then possibly getting the remake out the following year.

Nomura has stated that it had been in development before the port was announced.
    "When we announced the HD port, the PC port on the PS4, we weren't sure when we wanted to announce the remake," Nomura said elsewhere in the interview. "The production was underway then, so there's no real connection between the timing of the two FF7s coming to PS4. We've announced several different titles coming to the PlayStation 4 like World of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts 3."

• Advertisement

I'd say the vast majority of that was planning. Nomura needed a new project after getting the boot from FF versus 13. If it was in full development for a year you'd expect more than a teaser trailer.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say the vast majority of that was planning. Nomura needed a new project after getting the boot from FF versus 13. If it was in full development for a year you'd expect more than a teaser trailer.

It still surprises me he is only 44, he seems to have been around forever, would have prepared him to be put to task on doing a sequel to The World Ends With You.

Where is the guy who directed Final Fantasy IX Hiroyuki Ito, he would have been a great talent to direct this and he hasn't been seen in years on anything major, because I have to say I'm not overly charmed with having a belt and buckles animu Nomura directing this, you just know they're going to fill with Advent Children and compliation material.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Wasn't it Yoshinori Kitase who said earlier this year that he'd only sign off or allow a FF7 remake if he felt Square was capable of making it and doing it justice?

Pretty sure I read a few months back he has the controlling vote on it.

It still surprises me he is only 44, he seems to have been around forever, would have prepared him to be put to task on doing a sequel to The World Ends With You.

Nomura wasn't in charge of The World Ends with You. Square kind of painted it that way but outside of character design he had no real creative input. If you need evidence the fact that TWEWY is unlike any other Nomura project since it;s a great game :D

I'm pretty sure his first gig was on FF6 designing Shadow put it could have been his first FF gig. He got picked as the character designer for FF7 because the crappy angular polygons on the playstation suited his art style, it was a good choice in fairness and it was before the zipper fetish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Bah, can't get 60fps to work. It keeps capping at 15.

When the battle first starts it's at 60 but as soon as the twirl finishes it's back at 15.
    I installed via The Reunion mod. Other mods that were with it installed fine. Boo :(

Where is the guy who directed Final Fantasy IX Hiroyuki Ito, he would have been a great talent to direct this and he hasn't been seen in years on anything major, because I have to say I'm not overly charmed with having a belt and buckles animu Nomura directing this, you just know they're going to fill with Advent Children and compliation material.

Last time he was a director was with FF 12, he is rumored to be working on FF 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Last time he was a director was with FF 12, he is rumored to be working on FF 16.
    P.S. dear Square-Enix, port FFXII International to PS4/PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I had hoped for announcement of a HD remaster of FFXII for PS4/Vita at E3 but no joy :(

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

You do know that they demoed a version of FFXII with super high res textures on development hardware. All the textures were then downscaled for PS2 release. So they have all the assets already for a HD version. That's something I'd be far more interested in than a FFVII remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

tok9 wrote: »
    I reckon saying it's been in development for a year is stretching it really.

More than likely themselves and Sony realised announcing that port wasn't a great idea as it even seemed like they were trolling fans.

I also think it was a filler for Sony to try and add some more zest to there E3 conference.
    I would rather a reveal like Fallout 4 not some silly cinematic and a release date of 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I also think it was a filler for Sony to try and add some more zest to there E3 conference.
    I would rather a reveal like Fallout 4 not some silly cinematic and a release date of 2017

I love a game reveal and release soon after as much as anyone else but we can't have every game do this either. You can have games coming out in 6 months, 12 months, 18 months.. whatever. There will always be games.

Also that was an excellent trailer. I absolutely loved it.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

It totally worked as well. People are hailing them as if they are the ones responsible for the FF7 remake. It's not even exclusive and it is purely a Square Enix project, nothing to do with Sony. 'Gamers' never cease to amaze me these days with their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

'Gamers' never cease to amaze me these days with their stupidity.

You chair is quite high up compared to the rest of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You chair is quite high up compared to the rest of us...

I'm surprised he got a horse to go so high on that chair ;)

• Advertisement

It totally worked as well. People are hailing them as if they are the ones responsible for the FF7 remake. It's not even exclusive and it is purely a Square Enix project, nothing to do with Sony. 'Gamers' never cease to amaze me these days with their stupidity.

Square can't afford to do this in their current state with the amount of money they've poured into FFXV, Sony are likely helping out and helping them get a move on in the first place or it never would have been done.

Square can't afford to do this in their current state with the amount of money they've poured into FFXV, Sony are likely helping out and helping them get a move on in the first place or it never would have been done.

Square Enix have plenty of money and definitely aren't short. FF15 might be a disaster but their other projects aren't and you also have to remember Square Enix are a multimedia company with successful ventures in other media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Square Enix have plenty of money and definitely aren't short. FF15 might be a disaster but their other projects aren't and you also have to remember Square Enix are a multimedia company with successful ventures in other media.

I didn't realise Square Enix did anything outside games/mobile apps? What else have they got their fingers in?

RedXIV wrote: »
    I didn't realise Square Enix did anything outside games/mobile apps? What else have they got their fingers in?

Anime, TV, music but other weirder stuff you wouldn't realise. They've a big amusements division as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

Regarding the swearing and stuff .. I will be quite pissed if any of this stuff is cut.

I mean look at grand theft auto 5 ... Yeah it's rated 18s but did that have an affect on sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Made me laugh at least.

I don't think I'm all that bothered with a FFVII remake, it's probably seven or eight years too late for me now. I loved it when it came out, it was the first JRPG I played and it blew me away. I still play it from time to time on my Vita for a quick nostalgia burst but I really don't ever see myself sitting down and playing through it on a big screen for 60 or so hours, pretty graphics or not.

I'd personally love if it was a re-imagining and changed things up, from the story to the battle system but I think I'm in a minority there. The older I get, the more limited my gaming time becomes and really at this stage I'm looking for new experiences and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I for one am looking forward to a modern Odin summon. I can't help but be excited about this as it was by far my favorite game of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh God imagine if those summons are still unskippable. Knights of the Round going on forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiro

Knights of the Round will just summon the entire Advent Children movie instead now.

• Advertisement

tiro wrote: »
    Knights of the Round will just summon the entire Advent Children movie instead now.

Truly a fate worse than death.

Advertisement