Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Ya, this lad is off probably my best lady. Poor stars but produces. Was hoping for heifer. Same bull in the oven this year. Fella sold was 5star replacement.

Last year was 1st year here having a sim, since we milked 30 years ago.

Used one other sim and got twin heifers last year..

Those calves wouldn't take to ration while out 1st time I've seen that. Was trying them in shed any time they were around the yard. But maybe 1 of them ate it outside so didn't bother.

Weaned them early in effort to try get some cows out again to wean the rest.

Happy with them, still improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭fulldnod

Ya, it was lots for them and they were plain enough and got feck all meal, so he made a few pound out of them

If they from a suckler herd he would be better off on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭fulldnod

The next lad won't make a fortune out of them either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Dozer1

was watching the suckler cow sale in Gortalea tonight, good few names showing up on the board from Mayo...would lads send cattle that far to sell them live?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

1350 isn’t dear. You’d get most of that for a good weanling Ch and blue bulls and heifers worth too much to be putting replacement bulls on your best cows Store heifers are best value for money for replacements. Can pick what u want , weight u want. What bull U give and when u bull them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

What time do heifers need to be dropped off for Ennis Thursday mart (11.30 sale start).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

Is that a 5 star heifer sale? Otherwise you usually arrange a time when you book them in or maybe they have changed that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Standard sale. Best ring them in the morning so. Have two smashing Lm heifers and just a pitty to let off to the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭High bike

Yeah last time I sold there u ring to book in and they ask you what time you'll be there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

What way are store bullocks going?

Sell before Christmas or wait until mid January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@jfh the price of store cattle is fairly strong at the minute, January can be a quite enough month for cattle as lads have their stock in and tend not to move things to much. Depending where you are, if you are down south where spring is earlier I would tend to keep them until mid February when lads would be looking for stock for grass but if further north that mid March into April

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sold 4 heifers in Dungarvan mart today. All dairy-beef animals.

3 x LM, 505kg, €1,320 (€2.61/kg)

1 x HE, 490kg, €1,100 (€2.24/kg)

They were getting around 2.5 - 3kg of a beef nut mixed with rolled barley for the last month.

Very happy with the LM price but a little disappointed with the weights.

They were all bought as calves in March-21. Variable costs close to €600 since then.

The meal over the past month was pennies compared to the warm fleshy look it put on them today. Thanks to those who recommended it on here.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Well done.... what did their comrades make again?....you have to spend money to make money in this business. I would have finished them but not sure if I was in your system I'd have any more money out of them at the end of the day. If beef price increases a bit more I probably would.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Their six comrades went at the end of Oct, no meal, and averaged 240-ish kg on the hook. Came into just under €1,050. If I'd given them €30-40 worth of meal for a month before they went, they might have made another €100.

It's all learning but I'll probably try that next year. Will weigh them in Sept and if 5-6 are close enough to finishing, I'll start them on meal then.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

what kinda price would you expect for a ch bullock on 3 legs? Good shape and colour. Would be 380-400kg at least.

I'd keep him and finish him yourself (if you can). You certainly won't get his value in a mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What about straight to a chap ex mart who would finish him himself? Would you get 2 euro/kg? He can’t put full weight on 4th leg but does walk on it. The vet told me what it was, maybe nerve damage. So he doesn’t look awful but he’s not 100% fit either.

i agree, he would be no good at the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I sold 6 FR bullocks 24 months 490 kgs for €2.31kg.....i didnt want to finish them...bought in October for 900 each....they only got grass and hay and kept them outside...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

i had one with a broken hip last autumn I was being given 300 for him and was taking it but got restricted so I had to keep him and started feeding him . He killed into something around 1800 in august he had company with a lad who had recurring joint ail, he went at 16 months and came into 2200 so sometimes it can pay to hold onto them.

Nice twist. You must remember prime cattle in the factory are now hitting 60c per kilo more than when you were buying unfortunately this won't be the norm.

• Advertisement

Was in the Mart tonight for the first time since the start of December. I thought plain cattle like what I would be interested in very expensive (can't see them been any more in April) Hex, Shx, Lmx, BBx all out of dairy in around 500 kgs making €1,300 -€1,400. Yet good continental cattle suckler bred similar weights making a little along with €1,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its very seldom that cattle are not more expensive in April compared to January.i expect the beef price base to be at or above 5.5/kg. That would mean an R grade bullocks 350DW would hit 2k. That will influence buyers decisions

Slava Ukrainii

@Bass Reeves you could be right, for the few I want over the next few weeks its hard to know, I will pick them up 2 - 3 at a time, but going on the mart last night I think I could be buying CHx or LMx stores instead of AAx and HEx, 2% better kill out on your R+ 350 bullock would be nearly the €100 difference in the mart price.

With the cost of meal and fertilizer you need to be getting €2K a head for every animal, never mind the fact that any bit of land that is up for rent around here is make over €400 / acre.

1 thing I did notice last night was most of the lads buying were agents for farmers, so they had their hands in some else pocket, this too helps distort the price a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

That’s a lot of money for bullocks out of friesian cows. I gave up buying stores in the spring, always found it hard to get any sort of value.

I’ve a good share of continental bullocks bought from September to December. Round 530kg at less than €1400. Had them out of the shed last week and they are looking to be doing good on silage and minerals. I know you could probably put another €150 or more for wintering but they’ll be close to 600kg getting out to grass.

Would you not get more than an extra 2% kill out on an r+ over a plainer lad. Some of our u grade bullocks would kill out 58% fresh weight and I’d be disappointed with anything less than 55% for any sort of r grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭HHH

Totally agree. The difference between the middle of the road CH/LM & the middle of the road AA/HE is far too narrow on current prices. All stock are dear at the moment but AA/HE are ridiculous prices down around the midlands. There should be €300 / €350 a head difference but I'm seeing €100/€150 difference which is nonsense. Maybe lads trying to finish the AA/HE at low cost quickly and off grass with a shake of meal before the price drops after June?

@Cavanjack you are right up to €2,80 /kg of O grade stores doesn't add up.

You should get more than 2% possibly nearer to 4% better kill out on a R+ / U grade animal but I tend to work on minimum so as to avoid disappointment, under promise and over deliver. Your cattle have done well, but as you say there is probable between €150 - €200 against them for the winter.

350 is a very poor dw for a continental bullock. Should be pushing 400 and over it by right.

It's immaterial what is or is not a poor DW for what's. A lot of lads finishing are turning cattle after 50-80 days. The margin is on the animal the day they buy it. They might buy a 550 kg bullock feed it 60 days on a TMR put 90 kgs on it and kill it at 640 kgs or about 350 DW. They are getting 20-50c/ kg more than your or I alot of the time but they must produce animal to a factory specifications that is generally carcasses 280-380 kgs ( ideally 330-350). They decide the market.

Slava Ukrainii

It's all relative. The Charlois off Friesians will tend to be quieter than suckler bred ones. Older farmers that summer graze often perfer them to suckler bred cattle. As well they can perform very well if they have entry of grass in a low set stocking situation. Over a long grazing season they will often outperform suckler bred stock

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

It’s a bad year to be buying cattle to finish if they are that dear in January.

At 350 they would want to finished off grass. If a farmer is feeding significant amounts of meal to get them to that weight after paying that kind of money then there wouldn’t be much of a margin.

Advertisement