Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Judge Dredd Movie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Thanks, maybe the Mod can merge this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

ebbsy wrote: »
    In an interview with Shave Magazine, Urban explained it is a "setup film... It's about the day in the life of Dredd as he puts his rookie, Anderson, through the paces to see if she is worthy or not of becoming a Judge."[18] It wouldn't be based on any specific comic book plot but would be a "amalgamation of stories"

I d'ont know, was'nt the Stallone movie an "amalgamation of stories" as well ? Rico & Angel Gang ? Not very good either.

I would rather see a single plot, eg the current Dredd story in 2000ad would be very suitable, "Day of Chaos", where the Sovs are planning to release a virus on the city.

Having read Dredd for such a long time I'm a bit worried that they will botch it up again ?
    I'm not too worried about an amalgamation, to be honest. The film seems to be done by people who actually care about the comic, and seem to be really making an effort. The problem with the Stallone one was that it was made at a time where studios didn't have to respect the source material, because it was usually all a quick cash in.

Now, every comic film is aiming at a franchise, so the studios need the fans to support it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some new shots of this came out in the wash the other day, not really revealing anything new as such. If anything, and maybe it's just me, but some of the photos look clumsily composed, as if they were snapshots during filming (eg the 'execution' one) rather than official releases.

It would be nice to see some kind of trailer by now though; there have been various rumours of reshoots and the director getting the sack by the studio, so something to actually watch might go some way to get a sense of this flick outside of tattle...

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2012/02/new-dredd-photos-show-exploding-brain-ol.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

ebbsy wrote: »
    In an interview with Shave Magazine, Urban explained it is a "setup film... It's about the day in the life of Dredd as he puts his rookie, Anderson, through the paces to see if she is worthy or not of becoming a Judge."[18] It wouldn't be based on any specific comic book plot but would be a "amalgamation of stories"

I d'ont know, was'nt the Stallone movie an "amalgamation of stories" as well ? Rico & Angel Gang ? Not very good either.

I would rather see a single plot, eg the current Dredd story in 2000ad would be very suitable, "Day of Chaos", where the Sovs are planning to release a virus on the city.

Having read Dredd for such a long time I'm a bit worried that they will botch it up again ?

I'm no 2000 AD nut but wasn't Anderson in a completely different division, psi? How could she be Dredd's rookie? Afaik she was equal rank to Dredd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm no 2000 AD nut but wasn't Anderson in a completely different division, psi? How could she be Dredd's rookie? Afaik she was equal rank to Dredd.
    I can't remember, but I don't think they really have ranks as judges. I think it's something along the lines of rookie - judge - senior judge - chief judge. Back when I read the comics, Dredd was a senior judge, but still worked the streets (not sure if that's normal for senior judges, or if it was a special case since Dredd was so well respected and could pretty much do as he pleased). He's also a lot older than Anderson, so even if she rose to the rank of senior judge of her division in her career, it's still quite likely that when she became a rookie, Dredd would have been in a position to be her mentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Anderson was never a rookie under Dredd in the comics and she was a fully fledged Judge when she was introduced.

I think that by making her a rookie they are sort of mashing the character of Judge Dekker (who was a female rookie under Dredd and the Judge that he regarded as being the best rookie he ever saw) into Anderson's back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't really buy Olivia Thirlby as the rookie Judge though, regardless of what character she's playing. Her girls-next-door good looks seem at odds with the dirty world being portrayed.

Just thought I'd put this stuff up here & See what folk think:
    EDIT There was stuff here like as what folk seen already so I removed it.

• Advertisement

Go 6 posts back dude, those images have been released already :)

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Those shots kind of look wrong.

I would have expected Dredd to be some form of towering figure (swarznegger style) and that guy's face isn't fat or weathered enough for the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dredd given an R rating:
    Dredd has been given an R-rating by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA).

The Karl Urban-starring reboot was stamped with the certificate due to its depiction of "strong bloody violence, language, drug use, and sexual content".

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a378428/dredd-given-r-rating-by-the-mpaa-for-strong-bloody-violence.html

I think it's a good sign as Dredd should be violent and have strong language etc.

Hmmm, not sure it's a good sign of anything, other than the fact there'll be some blood packs explodin' on-set; I'd take less violence if it guaranteed a good movie :)

I don't get it.

They have already certified the film and not a trailer in sight.

What's that all about?

FlashD wrote: »
    I don't get it.

What's that all about?
    Timing, apparently: as it's low budget and up against so many other potential blockbusters, -the tactics of marketing have been so specifically tuned as to almost seem like stealth marketing in comparison to bigger-budget equivalents. There probably won't be much until two months before release.

The R rating was pretty much planned from the get-go: graphic violence is more or less integral to the whole tone (of Garland's script).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, not sure it's a good sign of anything, other than the fact there'll be some blood packs explodin' on-set; I'd take less violence if it guaranteed a good movie :)
    Indeed. The Stallone vehicle was R-rated as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't get it.

What's that all about?

most of thier marketing was likely focussed on The Hunger Games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Im still a bit worried about this movie.

Anybody reading "Day of Chaos" ? Its fantastic.

Would the inclusion of the Dark Judges make for a better film perhaps ?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    most of thier marketing was likely focussed on The Hunger Games

'The Hunger Games' ...Really? They need to work harder cause i've never heard of it.

I see the release date for Dredd is Sept, considering that's 4 months away there should have been a trailer by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

'The Hunger Games' ...Really? They need to work harder cause i've never heard of it.

I see the release date for Dredd is Sept, considering that's 4 months away there should have been a trailer by now.

Really? It's made nearly 400 million

Really? It's made nearly 400 million

Yeah? Seriously never drew my attention before..... but i'm on the far side of the planet. So maybe its just not popular in Asia.

I checked through the thread listing, I see it there now and checked the trailers on youtube too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

lol, you actually haven't heard of it?
    I thought you were being ironic.

No idea about asia, but it was probably the biggest recent film until The Avengers last week.

Mellor wrote: »
    lol, you actually haven't heard of it?
    I thought you were being ironic.

No idea about asia, but it was probably the biggest recent film until The Avengers last week.

:D Yeah, I know a bit more now.

Strange thing is that when I saw the film title I thought it was a political thriller in mould of 24, Clear and Present Danger, In the Line of Fire etc.

Interesting, the way one can perceive a film based on the title alone and nothing else.

It was for investors only: apparently a good reception, with a reportedly packed house, and nobody walking out, despite broken air-conditioning.

tumblr_m47dnlCg1b1rtk4rzo1_500.jpg

The writer of most of the Dredd stories, John Wagner, has also seen the filmand had this to say:

I went up to London yesterday to see the completed Dredd film. I’ve had reservations about certain aspects of it, and made them plain to the team at DNA. All but one of them – a little quibble at the beginning – have been addressed. And what a lot they’ve added. Music is on the button. SFX are excellent. Filming is impressive. I’ve not seen a modern 3-D movie before but I like it. I found myself reaching out trying to touch things that were dancing before my eyes. Karl is a great Dredd and Olivia gets Anderson completely. This is Dredd as it should be done – true to character, visceral, unrelentingly violent (but not off-puttingly so). It will open, I believe, sometime in September. No doubt you’ll let me know what you think when you’ve seen it, but this has my recommendation.

And later, on that ' little quibble at the beginning' , said:

The quibble: use of modern day vehicles in a futuristic setting. Given the budget constraints it is hard to see what they could do to avoid it. It's no big deal, really. It's over quickly and once you're past that it's full steam ahead into Dreddworld. If this film does well we can expect the budget on the next to increase, therefore more money for such SFX. And just consider, on a budget effectively less than a fifth of the Stallone piece they've managed to make a movie far more representative of the character and strip we all know and love.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

on a budget effectively less than a fifth of the Stallone piece they've managed to make a movie far more representative of the character and strip we all know and love.

hes not the sharpest tool in the box is he, stallones was 90 million this is 45:D, still though nice to see he seemed to like it and he feels it could be a franchise,

90 million 20 years ago, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

90 Million was a lot more money almost 20 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heard on the radio that the film makers are a bit worried as the plot is very similar to The Raid!

Advertisement